“ Caravan and Camping Site in Bedfordshire with on-site fishing lakes. „
This site was originally a fishing venue with a Camping and Caravanning Club 5-van certificated site attached and a rally field. However, they are now expanding both the camping & caravanning side of things and the fishing side as well.
Progress so far: They have built a new facilities block which includes campsite toilets, showers, laundry, dishwashing facilities, information area with workbench. The other side of the building has toilets for anglers and a meeting room which is available for hire. Additional hardstanding pitches with electric hookup and fresh water. Camping pods.
Further expansion planned: More grass pitches. Purpose built lake for disabled anglers and another for juniors/trainee anglers. Shop/reception expansion. Tea room.
* A big plus for me is that this site has hardstanding pitches and is open all year. It is also within about an hour of home which makes it ideal for a winter weekend away. 2 pitches are designated for use by disabled campers/caravanners.
* The toilet/shower area is nicely warm so there's no need to shiver whilst getting clean! They've always been clean when we've been there and we've never had to queue but then we haven't been in peak season...... Disabled facilities available.
* If you are an angler this would probably suit because there are 2 lakes already in existence which seem to be in regular use both by individual fishermen and for matches. Shop stocks angling supplies. There is a disabled-access swim on both the current fishing lakes.
* Bus stop, train station and village with shop and pubs all within walking distance. Local chinese takeway will deliver to site and the food was very acceptable when we tried it.
* Laundry room has a tv, so there's no need to get bored while waiting for the washing to finish :-)
* Staff on site 24-hrs and have always been friendly and helpful
* Free wifi
* 2 play areas, one for younger children, one for older
* various walks around the site (map supplied when you arrive)
* Situated where the A507 crosses the main railway line so it will never be completely quiet (does still manage to have a fairly peaceful feel to it)
* shop does stop and grocery stuff, just angling supplies, drinks machine and ice creams. Not sure whether this will change when the expansion is complete
* At the moment you may get some noise from the on-going work, but this should resolve itself once the next phase of the work is complete
* Electricity is not included in the pitch price. Ours was metered and worked out pretty reasonable.
Prices vary according to time of year and length of stay. I think it would work out relatively expensive for a 1-night stay but ok for more than that.
We've been several times and I fully anticipate returning because we like it!
Camping pods have their own parking space and a patio area with picnic table, umbrella and brick built bbq.