Welcome! Log in or Register
£50.79 Best Offer by: amazon.co.uk See more offers
41 Reviews
  • Sort by:

* Prices may differ from that shown

• Write a review >
    How do you rate the product overall? Rate it out of five by clicking on one of the hearts.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages? Use up to 10 bullet points.
    Write your reviews in your own words. 250 to 500 words
    Number of words:
    Write a concise and readable conclusion. The conclusion is also the title of the review.
    Number of words:
    Write your email adress here Write your email adress

Your dooyooMiles Miles

41 Reviews
    Sort by:
    • More +
      23.05.2010 22:41
      Very helpful
      (Rating)
      4 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

what celebs hate so much they want to banish them completely

Room 101 was shown on BBC2 and hosted by Paul Merton but originally by Nick Hancock in 1994 who started it on the radio in 1992.

The basis of the show is that they have a celebrity guest comes on and they have to argue their pet hates to be put into Room 101, so called after the torture room in the novel 1984 which is the worst thing in the world and they are not allowed back.

So we have a clue as to what their pet hates might be, such as a model aeroplane to represent airports. The model is then placed on top of a trap door and then the guest star has to argue the case with Paul Merton as to why they think it should go through the trap door to seal its fate. We will normally see a video footage to aid the fact at why it is so bad, or just for comedy effect.

After a great discussion Paul will then either allow or not the item to be plunged into the depths of the hell (for effective purposes only!!) And if so he will pull the trap door lever and we see the item disappear or he will say no and hand the guest the model back much to the guest's dismay.

There have been some controversial guests such as Anne Robinson and her hatred of the welsh, which was quite insulting. She must have known she would get some comeback on that. It was all in the papers and on the news and is now quite a common theme for comedians to bring up.

Michael Parkinson absolutely hated Emu after being attacked and ridiculed on his chat show and was very quick to ask to have it put into the room. Merton brought emu in a guillotine and Parkinson happily chopped its head off!

~~My Opinion~~

The amount of times I would watch this programme and totally agree with everything they were saying. I don't think I could choose just a few items or people to put in through the trap door and the show is only half an hour long and they would have to cut a lot of things out.

I think that Merton was a much better choice of host than Hancock as he was more laid back and very funny. He tended to take the mickey out of the items and then tease the guest as to whether he was going to put their pet hate in or not. We would more often than not see a video clip to confirm why something was so crazy or downright weird. It would have me in stitches.

The guests such as Jeremy Clarkson or Germaine Greer, you just know that those people love complaining and I wonder how they scaled their items down! At one point Stephen Fry wanted to put room 101 into the trap door, this was a bit of an upset as to how they could do it, but in fact Merton did so as not to have to give to Fry.

Overall we all like a good moan and this show is great to watch and agree with all the pet hates that we have in this life. It is hilarious to see someone going on about something they hate with a passion for some bizarre reason.

Comments

Login or register to add comments
      • More +
        19.02.2010 18:11
        Very helpful
        (Rating)

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good old fashioned British ranting

Room 101 was a comedy television show that ran from 1994 to 2007, originally hosted by Nick Hancock and followed by Paul Merton. Similar to Have I Got News For You Room 101 started life as a radio show, in which celebrities were given the chance to banish their pet hates to metaphorical oblivion.

Like it's Orwellian namesake Room 101 is a holding chamber for humanities most loathsome things, with the exception of Piers Morgan who was rejected for being 'too toxic.' During the show a popular comedian, pundit or television personality complies a list of their personal bugbears and then must argue why they believe they should be exiled to room 101. Whilst some of them are frankly bizarre, like Jonathan Ross's dress sense, others are so infuriating it did my soul good to see them face theoretical destruction, some of the more notable examples being instruction manuals, babies who cry in restaurants and my personal favourite, mans inhumanity to man, suggested by a guest who apparently hadn't quite grasped the nature of comedy.
        Also, on a more selfish note, this insight into some of our nations prime-time heavy weights has given me a slightly sharper debating edge. For instance, if I'm arguing about the artistic qualities (or lack therefore) of commemorative plates, all I've got to say is 'well Stephen Fry hates them.'
        Come on, who on earth is going to argue with the Fry?

Over it's 13-year run Room 101 has generated a liberal dashing of controversy, mainly from celebrities speaking without engaging the 'foot in mouth' failsafe. One of the most cringe-worthy was Annie Robison's ill-advised nomination of the Welsh, which rather ironically earnt her a place in the room during Jessica Stevenson's stint. Room 101 has also been witness to some superb instances of poetic justice, with Parkinson beheading Rod Hull's Emu puppet being what was in my opinion a moment of pure gold.

Room 101, like quite a few of Hat Tricks shows, is essentially 30 minutes of famous people complaining. Now whilst that may sound abominable I personally find it incredibly entertaining, mainly because it's more of a lighthearted rant than full scale moaning. It's also great to learn that some of Britain's most brilliant minds share the same common irritations as me, although this can lead to a severe case of unwarranted self-importance. But that's probably just me.

Okay, it's definitely just me.

Comments

• More +
        22.05.2009 12:21
        Very helpful
        (Rating)
        1 Comment

Advantages

Disadvantages

A light-hearted chatshow based around the celebrity's pet hates

I wonder if anyone else remebers the old days (mid 90s!) when the BBC had a show called 'Room 101' with the merciless Nick Hancock talking to celebrities about what really ticks them off and banishing these things into the mysterious vaults of Room 101. (N.B - Room 101 comes, as a concept, from Orwell's classic 1984)

Funnily enough, this show, hosted by the jovial Paul Merton, is pretty much exactly the same. Once again a half hour episode is dedicated to the host interviewing a well known person on their pet hates. Throwing in comic banter, amusing film clips to back up their hate and often using the always sycophantic audience's opinions, Merton comes to a conclusion whereby he agrees to 'allow' the item/concept in by pulling a lever on a trapdoor, or 'disallowing' the said subject to which he presents theguest one of the comedy props that resembled it.

Obviously there is no sense of necessity with the Room 101 concept, as this, like Desert Island Discs, is just a fun wayof interviewing some very good celebrities. And Merton gets very good celebrities on, something that never happened with Hancock at the helm. Hancock managed the likes of Chris Tarrant whereas Merton has drawn the late great Spike Milligan, Ricky Gervais and Steven Fry to name a few. (Note often the guest is a fellow comedian).

Merton ensures banter is fun and interesting and there always seems to be a fair amount of bonhommie between him and the guests. What I initially liked about the Hancock sow was the gimmicks (i.e. cheesy songs as items went in, the level of difficulty of getting something in etc) yetas I have grown older, what Merton leaves out he replaces with high brow chat and good cheer.

Comments

• More +
          18.10.2008 14:34
          Very helpful
          (Rating)
          2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice intelligent show.

The concept of Room 101 comes from the George Orwell classic 1984 and in the book Room 101 is the place that harbours your most darkest fear and where you will experience it or rather the luckless central character does well in TV world Room 101 is a rather more sedate place where celebrity guests accompanied by Paul Merton get to consig the things that annoy them or they hate to Room 101 ever to be seen again.

This is a very simple very funny how format that relies very heavily on the humour of Paul Merton and the quality of the guests who are able to rant about those things that annoy them. Indeed Dooyoo has its own Room 101 category in Speakers Corner for you to wax lyrically on any thing that gets your goat.

Most people will know Paul Merton from the panel show Have I got news for you and he has also done a really good travel programme series on his travels in China and India, he has a slightly mocking sarcastic style of delivery and a sharp wit that is well suited to this type of programme and he is an excellent host.

I like this show, it is funny and very engaging and is well wor watching. Usually itis found on BBC2 but also crops up on cable channel Gold.

Comments

• More +
            18.10.2008 11:20
            Very helpful
            (Rating)
            6 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

a must see

The series has been a real hit with the viewing public, first aired in July 1994 the series is still going strong today on BBC 2, featuring 11 series and a massive 88 episodes! Celebrities are invited on and allowed to discuss their pet hates with the host and audience, they try to justify why they hate whatever it may be so much in an attempt to get it banished to Room 101 forever (from the novel Nineteen Eighty Four). The television version is actually based on the radio show of the same format first hosted by Nick Hancock. Hancock initially hosted the television show too, but Paul Merton the current host took over the role in 1999 and he is great. One celebrity takes an entire 30 minute episode and has about five nominations for the room discussed which are represented by ridiculous props in order to be dumped into the room.

I think the show is great, very funny indeed. You also get to learn a bit more about the celebrities from what they want to banish to the room and their reasons for doing so. Over the years there have been many memorable episodes and the guests include some of the following, Stephen Fry, Ian Hislop, Neil Morrisey, Johnathan Ross, Ricky Gervais, Anne Robinson, Lesley Joseph and many more. Paul Merton was very much surprised on his first show as host in 1999 when his first guest was the old host Nick Hancock, a nice touch. The genius that is Stephen Fry attempted to put Room 101 into Room 101 when he appeared on the show, after much deliberation Merton decided to agree with Fry and banished it, the screen went blank, very funny. Anne Robinson was one of the most controversial guests, perhaps living up to her reputation on the weakest link. She attempted to put the Welsh in which caused many people to accuse her of racism, she wriggled out of the situation though claiming she only did it because she was jealous of the Welsh's successes, claiming they were successful at everything they did.

Room 101 is a fantastic television show and a credit to the BBC. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who is a fan of comedy in general and Paul Merton.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• More +
              17.06.2008 00:38
              1 Comment

Advantages

Disadvantages

like the show a lot.

Room 101 shares same production company Hat Trick Productions and one of the panellists from Have I got News for you. Paul Merton is the odd one out. For several years Nick Hancock was presenter, he left and Paul Merton took his place.

Basically the show lasts for 30 minutes in which one guest talks about his dislikes for various things. The dislike could be anything from football to room 101 itself.

Obviously the catch in the plot is funny things said by host and the guest. None of it you can take seriously, for instance how can you get rid of football altogether. The arguments for throwing things could be clever and funny.

Overall the show has relaxed feel to it. I like Paul Merton as a comedian. He is very clever and quiet and you never know what he is going to say next. The man has the ability to deal with anyone. In this show he meets all sorts of people and all the time is able to come up with very funny comments.

Can I please send Dooyoo to room 101?

Comments

• More +
                17.06.2008 00:15
                Very helpful
                (Rating)
                2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Wonderful insight into celebs' likes and dislikes

Room 101 is a cult TV show where celebs can come on and list their pet hates and cast them into Room 101, essentially a place to banish things somewhere they cannot come back from It takes it name from George Orwell's 1984, in which Room 101 is described as the worst place in the world, so celebs are banishing anyone or anything to the worst place in the world.

The show was presented by Nick Hancock from the show's start on TV in 1994 until 1999, when he left and was replaced by Paul Merton. The show was initially a radio show on Radio 5 presented by Hancock. Hancock had a good rapport with the majority of the celebs who came on the show, and the description of the items to banish often resulted in witty banter before a combination of Hancock and the audience decided whether or not something was banished. Hancock was much harsher on the celebs than his successor Paul Merton.

If a celeb managed to argue their way into getting three items into the room, they could release a previously banished item. An example is Caroline Quentin releasing Paul Daniels!!! Stephen fry actually managed to banish Room 101 itself into Room 101, and curiously enough, when Paul Merton took over in 1999, his first guest was the previous host, Nick Hancock.

I enjoyed watching the show, as it's interesting to see the personal likes and dislikes of celebs. It grounds them a littel and makes them feel more like you or I, and this was an attraction. The witty banter between host and celeb guest was always entertaining, too, and the show was a great success on BBC2, and I'm glad. I enjoyed watching it no matter the presenter.

Comments

• More +
                  07.04.2007 14:36
                  Very helpful
                  (Rating)

Advantages

Disadvantages

comedy show well kinf of anyway.

BBC TV and Radio series Room 101 got its name from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

I don't listen to the Radio programme. TV's version of Room 101 first aired in 1994 hosted by Nick Hancock. In 1999 he left the show and Paul Merton took over. Changes were made with the arrival of Paul Merton. I liked the old format, when Hancock was strict on the celebrities invited to discuss their pet hates. The audience help Merton or Hancock decide on what enters the room.

Usually the guest talks about why they hate certain things or people. The interaction between the guest and show host can develop into funny banter, this is not the case all the time.

Paul Merton and Hancock are very different comedians and I enjoyed Hancocks jokes more than Mertons. Change of host was a bad thing. I don't find Merton very funny when he makes a joke it is predictable.

Old series of Room 101 is shown on UK Gold and new one as well repeats are shown on BBC2. I haven't watched it on BBC 2 for a while so I don't know the time. On UK gold I watched it one evening last week and I think they had Merton on. It was funny, better than most of the time I've seen Merton TV.

Often it is the guest who steals the limelight. This is going back several years. I watched Spike Milligan appear and he was very funny. Ben Elton was good when he was on. Anne Robinson wasn't very funny when she had a go at it.

Comments

• More +
                  19.07.2004 04:44
                  Very helpful
                  (Rating)
                  14 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

I really hope room 101 is large enough to accommodate all I want to put into it! Here goes. 1. First on my list has to be bad, irresponsible drivers. Drivers who think it is o.k. to drink/take drugs and still drive are to me, one of the lowest forms of life. If I had my way they would not only lose their licence for a year when caught, but I would make the ban a life long one and would impound their car and sell it with the proceeds going to the N.H.S to help the people they injure. I would also throw in idiots who think its o.k. To speed, overtake on double white lines, or behave in other irresponsible ways on the road. Oh and I would also throw in all those who think it is fine to park on the pavement forcing pedestrians to walk in the road. If you think I sound like a woman with a mission then you would be right, We were left disabled by a selfish B****** whose only thoughts were for himself. Enough said, into the room they all go! 2. Next would be the people responsible for computer viruses. These folk are wasting their talents on causing others untold misery. Why not go and work for the companies they seek to damage? I?m sure they could have a bright future in management if they only tried! 3. Insurance companies would have to go to! In my experience they are another low form of life. Most are only too keen to take your premiums but try to claim and they will try anything to get out of their responsibilities. I understand they have a responsibility to their shareholders but they also have a responsibility to those who are victims, pay up, as you morally should! 4. I would have to throw in Mr Bush and his cronies too. I think the world is a far more dangerous place thanks to this idiot and I hope room 101 would contain them and prevent them from causing further harm to the world. 5. The room must be getting pretty crowed by now, but I hope there is still enough room for all sex offenders. They can never be tr
                  usted although they may have been through programmes to help them to stop offending. Sexual abuse is an addictive behaviour and as far as I?m concerned the world would be a better and safer place without them, so in they all go! Perhaps they could then all abuse each other! 6. Next up would be those who light bonfires during the day when I have washing out or am trying to enjoy the sunshine with my toddler. How selfish to think you have the right to pollute the atmosphere with horrible smelly smoke! Perhaps room 101 should be smoked filled too?! 7. Charles Clarke, the minister for education would be another resident of the room. I hate what he has done to our education system and throwing him in would stop any more harm! I would like to see children enjoying learning and not burdened with tests and curriculum?s designed to get votes! 8. I think the room now has an interesting mix but there must still be room for the bosses of capital one bank. This bank has to have one of the worst customer service centres of all the banks! They seem totally incapable of sticking to any agreements they make and I constantly have to phone their Asian call centre to sort out their mistakes. I am utterly tired of their poor service and would delight in adding them to room 101,so bye bye capital one! 9. Joining capital one would be B.T. This is another company, which sadly falls far short of many of its customer?s expectations for a decent service. I have had numerous problems with B.T, including incorrect bill, which have taken hours to sort out, incorrect information about charges being given, engineers failing to turn up to name a few. So B.T you have been given enough chanced and so into room 101 you go! 10. Lastly I would have to add those appalling adverts for the Halifax, whoever thought that the guy featured would pull in business was sadly mistaken! I think the room must be full by now although I could carry on all night. I have real
                  ly enjoyed writing this and I hope you will try it too, it is very therapeutic!

Comments

More Comments
                  • More +
                    09.04.2004 03:23
                    Very helpful
                    (Rating)
                    3 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

I was looking around this site to see what to write about next when I came across room 101.Well I really couldn?t pass up on the chance to vent my spleen so here goes! 1. Men who wear socks with shorts. I find this really embarrassing and as a bloke I feel they are letting the side down big time big time. So all blokes guilty of this fashion crime in you go! 2. Certain politicians well to be precise, Michael Howard, Anne Widdecombe and Last but not least George Bush. Does anyone really want me to explain why?! 3. Soggy vegetables. I really don?t see the point of eating these; they have no vitamins, taste revolting and in the case of cabbage smell foul! 4. Pavement parkers. Why do motorists think it is ok to park on the pavement? It really annoys me when I have to squeeze passed when I am pushing my youngest child in his buggy. If you are guilty of this expect to get your car scratched! 5. Junk mail. We have several items a day and I used to throw it straight into the recycling bin. Now I change the address and sent it back from where it came marked gone away. 6. Rats and wasps-no point to either! 7. Over crowed swimming pools where you spy unmentionable objects under water-yuk! I could add a lot more but that will do for now! I look forward to your comments!

Comments

• More +
                      23.03.2004 16:31
                      Very helpful
                      (Rating)
                      10 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

I've been meaning to do this op for ages but havn't found the time, however I'm off this week and have been catching up with all the ops that I've wanted to do for weeks. What would I like to see banished into Room 101 forever, never to be seen again ? BRITISH DRINKING CULTURE Now don't get me wrong I like a drink as much as the next bloke but I just don't get this thing where everyone goes out on a Friday and Saturday night to get legless. In every Town and City centre as you walk around as the pubs shut, people are spewing up everwhere, walking in zig zags, fights are breaking out, people are pissing against walls and even people are just lying on the pavements and in the roads. I just can't understand it, I love a few drinks, it breaks the ice, people lower their inhibitions, you have a laugh and have a good time BUT I know when to stop. Thesedays they don't stop. You hear conversations on the train 'I went out and got absolutely shit-faced and don't remember a thing' like they're proud of themselves or something. And it isn't just at home this is happening, the same people do the same abroad. Tenerife, Greece, Benidorm and many more have become dangerous because of the amount of drunken tossers walking around. It embarreses me to be English and makes me shudder to think how many drunks we are creating. It seems to be a modern phenonemon, magazines applaud drunken-ness, celebrities think it's cool to act like drunken pricks, holiday reps encourage binge drinking, pubs are doing ever increasing drink offers. Other Countries think we are a neandarthal race and they wouldn't be far wrong - you don't see the French, Spanish, Italians, Germans or Scandinavians doing what we do. THE COMMERCIAL MERRY GO ROUND This really gets on my nerves, just when one things over another pops up. First it's Valentines day, then Mothers day followed by Easter, Fathers day a
                      nd the Christmas displays go up in the beginning of November. The card companies and shops are robbing you blind, making a fortune for their directors in the process. This commercial activity never used to go on and it's getting worse by the year. I play them at their own game and buy my Easter eggs at half price on Easter day and I buy my Christmas presents in January when they are half the price compared to a week before. There never seems to be a time when the shops aren't trying to pressurise by working on your guilt to get you to buy something. It doesn't stop with the shops either, the TV and Radio bombard you with advertisements. I sound like scrooge but I don't like being ripped off and thats what is happening to everybody by way of the commercial merry go round as I call it. POLITICAL CORRECTNESS It's got to to the stage now where things have got ridiculous - spotted dick is now called spotted richard, you can't buy a gingerbread man now because it's against ginger people. You can't call a blackboard a blackboard and schools won't allow kids to sing 'Baa baa black sheep' because it may be offensive to black people. Politicians are so afraid of being labelled racist that they are going to such extreme lengths and in the process creating problems that just aren't there. People are not even allowed to fly a flag of St George on their own property in case it offends ethnic minorities. All political correctness does is put thoughts into peoples heads that otherwise wouldn't have been there, kids think about the difference in colour and culture when they probably wouldn't have. There are too many do gooders, liberals and sandal wearers employed by our local authorities. I hope a time comes when people with common sense begin to get into positions where they can exert a bit of savvy into the running of our country. LACK OF ENGLISHNESS This is another of my major bug-bears.
                      St Georges Day is on 23rd April and the majority of English don't even know because it isn't even celebrated. Ireland have St Patricks Day and Scotland have St Andrews Day and I don't think it's a coincidence that they appear more patriotic than ourselves. During the Queens Golden Jubilee thousands upon thousands turned out and housing estates became a sea of St George flags which proves that the English are just as patriotic but don't get the chance to show it. St Georges Day should be made a bank holiday to allow the English a day a year to celebrate being English, this would promote unity and togetherness. Whether the Government would allow it because of the reduction in output is another matter, we work harder and longer than any other Country in Europe. POLICE TACTICS It seems to me that the Police were so poor at solving crimes that the Government targeted crime that was easily detectable to improve their figures to show them in a good light. Over the last ten years a huge amount of resources and man power have been poured into catching speeding drivers whilst serious crime levels have increased. Gun crime, car crime, drug offences and burglaries have seen big increases whilst catching speeding drivers has shot up 500%. Even a lot of Policeman are disillusioned with the tactics that they are using. A call comes in that a burglary is taking place but noone can attend because all officers are on other calls, meanwhile the traffic police have 3 officers up the road snaring drivers with a mobile speed trap. RED TAPE Being in the E.U brings nothing but problems as far as I can see. Not only do we have to take in large numbers of immigrants and pay for poor European nations roads etc etc we have become embroiled into a complicated legal process where thousands upon thousands of laws exist. We have our hands tied behind our backs and whatever we seem to do, we break laws. This will only get worse if we embrace t
                      he Euro and become a fully fledged member of Europe which this Government is determined to do. The only people who seem to profit out of it all are the lawyers who live the life of lords as they hide behind the amount of red tape in Europe. I am very sceptical about Europe and think the negatives outweigh the positives. I think it would further aid the sinking of once a very impressive ship. That's about it, theres loads of other things that get on my nerves but I'd be all day telling you about them all. ====================== WormThatTurned2004

Comments

• More +
                        11.12.2003 02:12
                        Very helpful
                        (Rating)
                        7 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

The Eighties as an era will be best remembered for Thatcher, blind ambition, selfishness and greed. There was a distinct switch of emphasis as we entered the Nineties and the Handbag Harridan's powers waned. In a reaction to an uninterrupted decade of uncaring Thatcherism, the bitter old intellectuals on the Left ushered in an atmosphere of world weary sarcasm, supercilious cynicism and acidic criticism of the status quo. Optimism and positivity had been ground out of most of us and we were more content to moan about our problems than count our blessings. It was in this bitterly acerbic world that Room 101 was conceived as a visual version of Desert Island Discs for Grumpy Old Men. Rather than blithely trolling on about which wonderful records they would choose to take with them if they were ever marooned on a desert island (although how you'd get them there or recover them from your cabin, I will never know), the guest celebrity explores all the things which irritate, annoy, frustrate or grate with them, detailing exactly why they feel so insanely angry about the subject of their ire. If the host buys their explanation and feels that they have adequately justified their feelings then they will consign the hated item to the bowels of Room 101, in theory never to be seen again. It's a nice line in television entertainment and like Desert Island Discs it allows the feelings, background and prejudices of the guest to be sifted through and analysed, giving a useful understanding of their psyche and allowing a loose variation on the chat show to be nicely framed. Inevitably the spite and irritation gives rise to endless minutes of fun at the expense of someone or something and, hey presto, you've got the latest in a long line of Lads' TV comedy, second cousin of Shooting Stars, Have I Got News For You, They Think It's All Over, Jonathan Ross and Men Behaving Badly - it's not exactly surprising then that the hosts who ha
                        ve handled the series should have seen service in such shows - Nick Hancock (They Think It's All Over) and Paul Merton (Have I Got News For You). It takes unpleasant, soulless misanthropes like Hancock and Merton to fully exploit the promise of the idea behind Room 101, and they both do/did so with a relish and thoroughly sarcastic bite. It's immensely good fun and as long as you don't take things too seriously, and set out to see Room 101 as intelligent, soulful debate, you will get a lot out of it. Unfortunately if you do take it seriously, you won't get it and will just think that it's a heap of childish nonsense, as it often is. Hancock was the first host of the programme, and you can still catch reruns of some of the satellite stations. The thing you'll immediately catch on to is exactly how much weight Nick has put on and how grey he has now become. In those days, he was a lithe, dark haired young Stoke City supporter, and now he's just a middle aged, grey haired, narky old git, just like all the best grumpy old men. Merton the current maitre d isn't half as nasty or unpleasant and still has a vestige of humanity and warmth about him, but brings his surreal sense of humour to proceedings, and you needn't worry because he'll soo learn the less than subtle art of the nasty put down, after all he's had years of hassling Ian Hislop during which to cut his teeth. The guests are always well chosen and it's not often that things don't work out well - we usually get some little spark to ignite the witty debate and argument and there's always something to knock, which we can all agree on. The thing is though to realise that there's no real point to all of this - as soon as you do then you can really start to enjoy the experience ... but not too much, y'know, you don't want people to see you smiling ... bah, humbug!

Comments

• More +
                          18.08.2002 21:05
                          3 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Sometimes when you are so bored or angry, you feel you can basically bin absolutely everything. Even damp your partner. But, the idea here is to be abit rational and to justify your reasons. But if you are constantly bombarded by the same crap time and time again, its hard to pinpoint the faults. Example: boy bands - girl bands and a toy boy or girl going solo. I dont know if its the age gap but these manufactured tunes are so artificial to the extent that when I heard "The King" Elvis Presley sing, I felt "Oh my god, what have I been missing!" People might argue that Elvis at that time might have been abit manufactured compared to his contemparies but I like to think that he was simply unique. Not just another face making into the charts and crying, "I cant believe it!" well, neither can I! I think the pop world is becoming too saturated and we need to bin out alot. So to all those 1 year band groups go get another day job because you have been binned. Another issue I'll like to talk about is British TV in general. Most TV ads indirectly talk about sex in a humourous way. "Size matters!" etc etc etc. Then all the comedy shows too. There is always a joke about size, sexual positions, etc etc etc. and I dont know if they even regard it as intelligent simply because they managed the joke without mentioning the word "sex". Well, if sex is such an important theme in our media, why isnt there enough of it on TV? Maybe, watching enough sex on TV would cut down on the number of crappy tv ads and comedy shows that depend on using sexual themes as their intelligent punch line. I'm glad the Internet is here. Sometimes I just prefer to read news online rather than watch some tv presenter deliver the news then also deliver a so-called witty comment. They might argue that it adds spice, but who wants spice in the news??? News is simply just news. I dont argue with how its presented or not even what is pr
                          esented, but personal comments should remain personal simply because the witty comments might sometimes too often be annoying. Every one in England hates a "smart-arse" but aren't we all acting like one!

Comments

• More +
                            21.03.2002 23:35
                            Very helpful
                            (Rating)
                            19 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Seen as though everyone else is putting their thoughts into this subject, I thought id give it a go. Seems Like a fun and interesting subject for me to rant on about my hates. Don?t be offended by anything I say. If I do offend then I apologize now. Churners - - - - - - - - One thing I hate about this site, is the lack of effort that people put into their ops. New people hear about a site that pays for reviews, then suddenly think, the more I write, the more money I get. Theoretically that is true, but, if your op is a load of bollocks and it has no real information in it, then a few people might read it, but a lot of people might be put off by the poor rating. But, if you write a good op and put time into it, then you will get more reads. So my message to all the churners out there is to stop writing crap, and start doing quality work. Pop Music (Manufactured/Talentless bands) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The music industry today is full of crap, talentless acts, that make millions out of kids who listen to their music. Music is supposed to be made of talent, pop bands like westlife, hearsay, steps etc have no talent whatsoever, apart from a few dance steps, which they don?t even make up. The worst thing about it is, they make millions from a song, and therefore, never get to sing live. And when they do sing live, which is once every full moon, it?s a total load of kack. Id rather listen to a cat fight. Bands who play instruments and can actually play live are the bands that should be making millions, there are tons of bands out there which are undiscovered which are making far less than these bunch of talentless performers. Straight down into room 101! Aggressive Dogs - - - - - - - - - - - - Don?t you just hate it when your out walking or doing whatever outside, and annoying stray dogs come rushing over and barking at you, for no reason whatsoever. These dogs have no p
                            urpose on the planet, if an owner wants a dog it should keep watch of it at all times, and not let it run astray, especially if it is a large dog or aggressive. The thing that makes me mad is if a owner is taking a dog for a walk and it comes running at you top speed and you owner says ? don?t worry it doesn?t bite ? or just calls its name and does nothing when its barking like hell at you. Grrrr! Into Room 101 they go! 56k Modems - - - - - - - - - - I download a lot from the internet, and from a 56k modem, the average speed is 4k. But NO! I get around 2-3, and it takes around 15 minutes to download a small file. This displeases me a lot, 56k modems in general are a nasty piece of work. Slow and normally disconnect you from the internet. A short but to the point room 101 entry, doesn?t need no more explaining! Down it goes! Rockport shoes - - - - - - - - - - - Grrrrr! How much I hate these shoes, and for some reason, they are main part in everyday teenagers fashion. These shoes are for walking in the hills with, not to stroll around the street with a raincoat on with. They cost around 100-130 pounds, and according to most 14-18 year old teenage lads, it is a must if you want to be fashionable. It makes me laugh the way they all walk around in berghaus raincoats, with nike tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks with rockports on, they don?t go with each other. What a horrible way to dress! Room 101 here they come! Snobby and stuck up posh people - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I hate people who walk around and think they are better than you just because they are rich, or are in a different class. They walk round and think they can treat you like crap and talk to you however they want just because you look different. The way they talk aswell also bug me greatly, and the way they hold stuff. Ok ill stop on this one now before I start offending people! Big Rings with name
                            s on - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - lol it might be a unusual choice but I cannot stand the site of rings with names on. They are such ugly pieces of fashion accessory. Especially when the ring covers all of the fingers. I don?t know what people see in them, they are just horrible pieces of jewellery. Junk And Spam Email - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Hotmail is the number1 culprit for receiving junk email. Every morning when I wake up and I check my hotmail account, I come to find around 10 junk emails, I don?t even know where they came from, because I have a separate email which I sign up to things with. People who send out these emails or add me to mailing lists, need to go straight into room 101! All of these should go into room 101! i hope they will one day as they distress me greatly lol! all comments will be appreciated!

Comments

More Comments
                            • More +
                              30.04.2001 14:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

I have always liked this programme, right through the Nick Hancock days, into the Paul Merton days, via the interim day where Paul Merton interviewed Nick Hancock. The guests are invited to bring along some artefact to illustrate their worst nightmares, ranging from thongs that get stuck "up there", to whole nations. The humour suits my mood. I love the way in which Paul Merton will justify his verdict to the audience, in a way that is both tenuous and plausible at the same time. I have however noticed a very disturbing trend. When Jeremy Clarkson was the subject, I actually found myself agreeing with every one of his pet hates, yet I can't STAND the man. 08/01/01, Paul Daniels was the subject, and I found myself agreeing with every one of his pet hates, which incidentally included Jeremy Clarkson, and yet I can't stand Paul Daniels either. 05/03/01 - It's getting worse! I found my self agreeing with Anne Robinson AS WELL!! Sorry Wales! Help! I suppose I'll just have to keep watching to see if I can find someone I both hate AND disagree with to reverse this alarming trend!

Comments