Welcome! Log in or Register

Review of the Year 2009

£5.59 Best Offer by: foyles.co.uk See more offers
173 Reviews

Tell us about your 2009!

• Sort by:

* Prices may differ from that shown

• Write a review >
    How do you rate the product overall? Rate it out of five by clicking on one of the hearts.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages? Use up to 10 bullet points.
    Write your reviews in your own words. 250 to 500 words
    Number of words:
    Write a concise and readable conclusion. The conclusion is also the title of the review.
    Number of words:
    Write your email adress here Write your email adress

Your dooyooMiles Miles

173 Reviews
    Sort by:
    • More +
      14.04.2010 11:17
      Very helpful
      (Rating)
      9 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

At least it's over, bring on 2010 :)

My 2009 started out brilliantly, kicking off with a small dinner party to see in the new year. It was elegant and fun and I felt content. I had a fun couple of months, then it all went horribly downhill from April. I can honestly say that I've never been so pleased to see the back of a year! 1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I volunteered on Christmas Day. I didn't really feel like making the epic journey down to Cornwall to see my family, so a friend of mine asked if I wanted to volunteer at Kids Company instead. What a fantastic day - it was so much fun and I would recommend it to anyone. Kids Company are a charity in London and on Christmas Day they throw a massive day long party for deprieved children and their families. I spent the day dressed as a fairy, reading stories to children, getting beaten up by small children and I would do it all over again. 2) Did anyone close to you give birth? No one close to me, though an ex's, brother's ex-wife (wow, that's a mouthful) had her baby girl. 3) Did anyone close to you die? Again, no one close to me, but a man who used to give me a bit of bowling coaching when I was young. 4) What countries did you visit? I didn't go away. 5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Peace of mind! And to be debt-free. Having said that, I'm getting there now :) 6) What dates will you remember from 2009? April 21st. My sister's 21st birthday and the day that my partner came home from work and said "I'm leaving." Didn't see it coming at all and I can honestly say I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 7) Did you suffer from illness or injury? I spend my life falling over things and being injurred. I also had glandular fever and my back problems got very painful. 8) What was the best thing you bought? Hmmmm. My flat, except I didn't buy it, I just put a deposit down to rent it, so it doesn't really count, but I love it! 9) What behaviour merited celebration? Snapping at work and telling my boss to "eff off." Believe me, if you knew the situation, you would know it to be a long time coming and I never stand up for myself! 10) Whose behaviour made you appalled? My ex partner's. We moved in together, at his suggestion. I wanted to, but as I'd been hurt before I was a bit more apprehensive and I gave him every opportunity to change his mind and was happy to continue dating. Anyway, we moved into a flat, it was all rosy and then he left me for no apparent reason. Even now, I don't know why. He knew I couldn't afford the flat without his contribution, yet was happy to leave me struggling and falling into debt trying to pay the rent. It took him 6 months to realise that actually, it was a pretty low thing to do, but never apologised. It was his mother who ended up helping me get out of there and I will be forever grateful. 11) Where did most of your money go? Rent, bills and bowling! 12) What did you get really excited about? Moving into this new flat. It meant I could leave memories behind. 13) What songs will you remember from 2009? New York by Paloma Faith. 14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive? More productive. I've realised just how unhappy my job is making me and I'm trying to do something about it. 15) What do you wish you had done more of? I wish I'd gone out more after I split with my ex and stopped hiding from the world. I didn't want to see anyone and I wasn't interested in anything. 16) What do you wish you had done less of? Hoping against hope that my ex would wise up and come back. He didn't and I just caused myself more upset. I think I'm better without him now as he has been really horrible to me, but it took a long time to realise that. 17) What was your favourite TV Programme? Not a big TV watcher really, so probably Come Dine With Me. 18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? I don't like the word and I'm not sure if I hate him, but my ex is certainly the person I like least. My blood boils at just the mention of him. 19) What's been your best book of 2009? Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. Really enjoyed it. 20) What was your greatest musical discovery? Paloma Faith 21) What did you want to get in 2009? An engagement ring - we had been discussing it and thought it on the cards. Clearly not. 22) What did you want and didn't get? As above. 23) What is your favourite film of the year? Trying to remember what I saw now - I'm not a big film goer. I know it's a chick flick, but I really enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic, even if they did stick Becky in New York. Suze is a blonde, quintessential, upper-class girl, not an American! 24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I just went out for lunch with a friend and then to the pub for a couple of drinks. I didn't feel like doing anything major, so that was perfect. And we went to an amazing cooking shop! 25) What political issue stirred you the most? As another poster said, the amount of money cut from universities. It also effects some people in LA - myself included, as I do a lot of work with unis and FE. 26) Who was the best person you met? I met them in 2008, but I have become closer to two people I bowl with which I am grateful for. In terms of new people, I met my boyfriend in December :) So he was just in 2009. 27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? Talk about what's hurting you and don't hide away from the world - it doesn't fix anything!

Comments

Login or register to add comments
      • More +
        13.04.2010 23:26
        Very helpful
        (Rating)
        2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

My 2009

After writing this I have discovered yet again that I'm not very interesting! So i apologise if you actually read this! 1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I'm really not sure, i know that this year i want to do things that i have never done before and am starting to write a list of these things. I know one thing that i did and did enjoy was going kite flying, not the normal kites but the ones that are huge and twice the size of me, that was quite fun! 2) Did anyone close to you give birth? No one i can really think of, most of my friends that have babies either had them the year before or the year so far. 3) Did anyone close to you die? My grandad, on my dads side, my last grandparent. 4) What countries did you visit? I never got to get away, i'm a student and couldn't afford it but am planning on going to vienna in the future and disneyland, but that might have to wait until next year 5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? My degree, i had to repeat a year last year, due to depression the year before. 6) What dates will you remember from 2009? My 22nd birthday! and the end of perry. 7) Did you suffer from illness or injury? Other than the depression i'm pretty healthy. 8) What was the best thing you bought? A cocktail fountain! Its amazing especially at parties (I don't buy much!) 9) What behaviour merited celebration? Losing a friend, well stopping talking to a friend. one that took more than she gave. I don't miss her, which shocks me. 10) Whose behaviour made you appalled? Ha I live with students, I am a student. Not much shocks me! 11) Where did most of your money go? On rent, and DVDs. I have a DVD fettish, i can't stop buying them! 12) What did you get really excited about? Getting back into uni, and being able to do my thrid year. I didn't know whether it would happen 13) What songs will you remember from 2009? Joanna Newsom. 14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive? Happier! Even though i'm on Anti depressants right now i'm the happiest i've ever been! 15) What do you wish you had done more of? Spent more time going to the pub with my friends instead of hiding in my room, spent more time with my boyfriend and last of all my friends who i've left behind at home. 16) What do you wish you had done less of? Trying to keep certain friendships alive. Theres no point if its not working. 17) What was your favourite TV Programme? Ugly Betty! 18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? I don't hate people, I dislike people but i don't like the word hate. Its too strong a word. 19) What's been your best book of 2009? The average american male - lol 20) What was your greatest musical discovery? The moldy peaches 21) What did you want to get in 2009? Through my second year of uni. 22) What did you want and didn't get? I don't think so 23) What is your favourite film of the year? Was Juno Last year? 500 days of summer perhaps? 24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I was 22 and played pirate crazy golf with my friends and then had a bbq with some very potent punch. I got naked as well and very drunk! 25) What political issue stirred you the most? The amunt of money that was cut from universities, my university is closing this year. 26) Who was the best person you met? There hasn't been that many people that have really affected me just one of my old friends and I becoming closer again 27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? That going out is good for you, i need to stop shutting myself away because it just makes me feel worse

Comments

• More +
          13.04.2010 10:34
          Very helpful
          (Rating)
          3 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

What a year it was!

Only just spotted this and although we're a third of the way into 2010 I thought I'd still complete it, hope it doesn't bore you! *** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before*** Hmmm, I hitch hiked from Sheffield to Croatia using less than £15 for travel in order to raise money for charity. I graduated, I got my first 'proper' full time job. *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** Nope I don't think many of my family or friends had a baby is 2009. *** Did anyone close to you die? *** My Grandad's wife died, we weren't amazingly close but it was still really sad. *** What countries did you visit? *** France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and Croatia, I travelled through/visitied all these places on my hitch to Croatia. *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** Nothing really as long as U'm relatively happy. *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** Hmmm I don't remember dates as such more occassions such as my graduation, etc. *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** Fortunatley not too bad although I broke my jaw in 2008 and still get aches from it. *** What was the best thing you bought? *** Hmmm...difficult one! I really can't think of anything! *** Whose behaviour has merited celebration? *** My dad who lost a massive amount of weight, from about 26stone an XXXL (if not bigger) to about 15 1/2 stone a L. I'm really proud of him. *** Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? *** Hmmm another difficult one, I don't generally get appalled and depressed. *** Where did most of your money go? *** Hmm first half of the year = Halls rent and going out, 2nd half of the year = going out and clothes! *** What did you get really excited about? *** Graduating it was really exciting after 3 years of hard study! *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** Gosh another difficult one...I can't think of any songs to mind! *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** Well I'm always generally a happy bunny, I'm definitely fitter due to my new gym hobby and more productive probably the same but in a different way, not uni work but work work now! *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Nothing, I don't regret anything, perhaps wrote more dooyoo results and earnt more pennies? *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Nothing as above I don't regret things. *** What was your favourite TV programme? *** My favourite programme of 2009 was probably Brothers & Sisters, it was a good distraction from revision at times and always good to duvet up and watch. *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** I'm a lover not a hater :) *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** Lol I hate to admit it but I really got into the Twilight series and read all these books so maybe these. *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** Hmmm...I enjoy going to gigs but can't think of a musical discovery as such. *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** Nothing, material things don't really bother me that much and in terms of non-material things I guess I had everything I wanted. *** What did you want and didn't get? *** Nothing! *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** Haha dare I admit it? I really enjoyed Twilight and New Moon, I thought Avatar was really good (I had low expectations of it). *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** I was 21 and I had a big night out with my friends and several family meals. Also my ex took me to a really posh hotel in York with the most amazing shower! *** What political issue stirred you the most? *** I'm not really into politics so I don't really have an opinion to voice. How bad is that!? *** Who was the best person you met? *** Well I met my boyfriend in 2009, obviously that was a good person to meet. I also met lots of new and amazing friends. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** Live life, love life and always smile. I generally always have a smile on my face, my boyfriend and friends worry if I go quiet for 5minutes because I'm always happy. Also never look back! Lives to short to have regrets, enjoy the present and look forward to the future!

Comments

• More +
            11.04.2010 01:39
            Very helpful
            (Rating)
            1 Comment

Advantages

Disadvantages

My 2009

1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I moved in with my partner miles away from my friends and family, a big move but worth it (although I still get home sick from time to time). 2) Did anyone close to you give birth? No one close to me but a few friends of my partner have taken the big leap. 3) Did anyone close to you die? Thank god no one last year but unfortunately my partners cousin died 2 week ago wich was tragic as he was only 25. Things like that really make you evaluate your life and make you greateful for what you have 4) What countries did you visit? I was incredibly lucky to go on a short break away to Iceland, a trip of a lifetime and somewhere I always wanted to go. 5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? My HNC photography under my belt, almost there! 6) What dates will you remember from 2009? My 30th birthday, wasn't as bad as i thought it would be although i'm finding myself turning into a grumpy old woman, huffing at people in queues, the occasional bit of road rage, feeling like a granny in the nightclubs (actually no different to being 29 then!). 7) Did you suffer from illness or injury? Apart from the odd cough and cold, all in good health. 8) What was the best thing you bought? my motorbike, it's still taking a little getting used to but i'm enjoying getting out in the better weather. 9) What behaviour merited celebration? not stooping to other peoples level, mainly by thinking of various public humiliation scenarios involving said person! 10) Whose behaviour made you appalled? A good number of people who have been convicted of henious crimes in the news, I still cannot fathom how one life can inflict such pain on another and it's depressing to hear it with such frequency. 11) Where did most of your money go? On the house move and putting money aside to start college all over again! 12) What did you get really excited about? Leaving my job and starting full time college! 13) What songs will you remember from 2009? I got the Tiesto album for my Christmas and i've played it to death. 14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive? I am definitely happier, and working on getting fitter, all I need is the motivation! 15) What do you wish you had done more of? Spent more time going places with my man. 16) What do you wish you had done less of? Spending money on rubbish, worrying about what unimportant people think. 17) What was your favourite TV Programme? True Blood, cheesy but I can't help it. 18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? I try not to spend my energy on hating people, they aren't worth the effort. 19) What's been your best book of 2009? I'm ashamed to say it but I didn't really read anything decent last year. 20) What was your greatest musical discovery? I didn't discover anything that really blew my mind, some good tunes overall though. 21) What did you want to get in 2009? I wanted to get into college and get out of office work, thank heaven for my last minute placement! 22) What did you want and didn't get? I think I was very luck and got everything I wanted (of consiquence) last year. 23) What is your favourite film of the year? Star Trek or Inglorious Basterds, can't really decide. 24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I was 30 and I spent the day all on my own! 25) What political issue stirred you the most? It's got to be the politicians' expenses row, a total and utter disgusting scam by the very people who are supposed to be upstanding and honest people, representing the nation. 26) Who was the best person you met? I met a lot of nice people but mainly re-discovered a few old aquaintences. 27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? 1. You're never to old to start again, or at least give it a try! 2.Be thankful for what you have. and finally, 3. never drink a whole carton of smoothie topped off by fresh orange juice in the hope of a quick health fix as you will spend much time on the loo contemplating your mistake!

Comments

• More +
              24.03.2010 21:50
              Very helpful
              (Rating)

Advantages

Disadvantages

It was a tough year and not the greatest, but I appreciate that it could have been so much worse

*** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before*** I went to watch a live England football game *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** No, unfortunately. *** Did anyone close to you die? *** No *** What countries did you visit? *** Just Gran Canaria *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** More money would be nice :) *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** 24th December, my last working day with a company I hated. *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** A few injuries. I hurt my knee and hand falling out of a pool on holiday and damaged the tendens in my foot when helping someone move house. *** What was the best thing you bought? *** Some nice Christmas presents for my girlfriend and family. *** Whose behaviour has merited celebration? *** My family, for their love and support through a very difficult time in my life *** Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? *** A lot of people at my old job, I say old with a smile on my face :) *** Where did most of your money go? *** I hate to say it but gambling, fortunately though i turned a corner. *** What did you get really excited about? *** Going on holiday and my new job. *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** A lot of summer songs, Tichy Strider Never leave you being the main one. It reminds me of my holiday :) *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** Happier yes, fitter certainly no. More productive, I don't think so, just having to wait my time at the momeny though it's still up there! *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Enjoying life, I lost a lot of my time due to gambling. *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** GAMBLING! *** What was your favourite TV programme? *** The Inbetweeners *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** Hate is a strong word, there are a couple though. *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** I dont read, which is quite shallow. *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** Probably five for fighting, never heard anything before. *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** An Iphone *** What did you want and didn't get? *** An Iphone *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** Wow that's hard to remember! Step brothers I would have to say. *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** I was 23, I went to dinner with my family and girlfriend then came home and chilled out. I had gone out the week before drinking with my pals. *** What political issue stirred you the most? *** Expense claims! *** Who was the best person you met? *** Marcus, a great entertainer from my holiday. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** I learned that money should be taken more seriously and that gambling is an easy way of taking the quality out of your life. Learning not to gamble is probably one of the best things I have ever done.

Comments

• More +
              16.03.2010 19:06
              Very helpful
              (Rating)
              2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

It was worth it!

*** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before*** Used dooyoo :) and was in a long relationship (which is over now :L) *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** No *** Did anyone close to you die? *** No *** What countries did you visit? *** Italy, France, America, Germany, Belgium and I think thats it :) *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** I would like to get healthier and choose better friends. I would also like to have another relationship, but one with the right person. Also, I would like to get another A* in science again. *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** February 17th, for a reason which he doesn't want to say, but I will, it was the day my very first, real, relationship began. *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** Not really *** What was the best thing you bought? *** My laptop! Also, some random bits and pieces, like clothes, but I think my laptop was the best? *** Whose behaviour has merited celebration? *** My Grandad, he is very old right now and I hope he will still be around for a few more years (yn) *** Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? *** Most people do something to affect my behaviour *** Where did most of your money go? *** Towards my laptop, bank and some on dollars for America :) *** What did you get really excited about? *** Well, back in the old days, seeing my boyfriend, but now he is my ex. Also, America, it was well worth it, and to think I am going again in a few weeks! *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** I think the Cities Of Glass songs, I have seen them twice in concert, one this year, and one in 2010 and they were amazing both times. *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** I am so much more happier, and by fitter, if you mean by slimmer? Then I am, but fitter as in sport, about the same. More productive, yes. Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Revision and fussing over stupid things that mean nothing now. If I had revised more in science, I would have gotten two A*'s instead of one A* and one A. Also, I needed to put my self first more, not other people, because in the long run, they will not be there for you. *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Almost the same answer above. Fussy about stupid little things and getting involved in things I shouldn't of. I wish I didn't care so much about certain things and wasn't so Naive. That's it! I wish I was less Naive! *** What was your favourite TV programme? *** Top Gear, I love it! I also love chat shows, the funny ones :) *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** Hmmm, almost. But maybe not hate. *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** I think it would have to be noughts and crosses! It is the best read of my life! It is so emotional and exciting! I would recommend it to everyone! *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** Maybe All Time Low, unplugged? But discovered, Saving Aimee. *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** I honestly wanted a change, like for something different to happen, and it did, a boyfriend changes everything, but it's not the best thing in life, not in a mean way. Maybe a laptop, and I got one :) *** What did you want and didn't get? *** The best year? A new close friend? *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** I think Yes Man? *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** I was 15, on the 21st December, and I had friends round for dinner and snow (Y) Also, I saw my boyfriend for lunch. *** What political issue stirred you the most? *** Politics doesn't really interest me, but I have been watching the news a bit more often and just the odd things I take in, like the money and stuff. *** Who was the best person you met? *** In 2009, I grew closer to some people but while doing this, I left people behind, which now I know I shouldn't of. I am not going to lie, at the time, James was the best person I met in 2009, and he always will be in that year. We don't talk any more though, we have both changed so much, so it's for the best, and I hope he goes very far in life. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** To be selfish some times and put my self first more.

Comments

• More +
                15.03.2010 20:24
                Very helpful
                (Rating)

Advantages

Disadvantages

Can't turn back the clock

What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? Joined MSE Forums, went to Disneyland Paris & bought a house. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes my best friend gave birth to a wee girl in April and my finace friend partner gave birth to a baby boy in July Did anyone close to you die? yes a good friend died aged 27 from cancer in Jan 2009 What countries did you visit? France & England & Scotland What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I would like to have went to the Gym more - I am paying for something which is not getting used as much. I'd like to be healthier, going to the gym more. I would have also wanted to applied for more jobs to get out of my current job. What dates will you remember from 2009? September 30th 2009 I got engaged to my partner of 3 years & 5th August 2009 when we took a hot air balloon ride over Fife Did you suffer illness or injury? Just problems with weight. I did go into hospital for chest pains, which turned out to be strain on my chest from sports What was the best thing you bought? My house - can't wait to move in! Where did most of your money go? It went on my Disneyland Paris trip, Christmas, house, & Car repairs What did you get really excited about? The prospect of being asked to be married at the top of the effiel tower and meeting Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Was starstruck :P What song(s) will you remember from 2009? Sexy Bitch (David Guetta) I gotta feeling (Black eyed peas) Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? happier and more productive What do you wish you had done more of? I wish I had concentrated on losing weight and being more active. What do you wish you had done less of? Spending money on rubbish like stationary and magazines. What was your favourite TV programme? Big Brother & Desperate Housewives Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? I dislike certain people now than I did last year - not ellaborating on it though What's been the best book of 2009? I am not really a reader What did you want and didn't get? A new car but I bought a house instead. What is your favourite film of the year? Bruno was good What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? Me & my family went through to Edinburgh for a day trip and went for an indian - I was 23 on my Birthday What political issue stirred you the most? Mostly around the recession and how bad it was. Lots of companies were going bust and lots of people losing jobs. Who was the best person you met? Mickey & Minnie Mouse and all the disney characters lol Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? Don't let people walk all over me and don't instantly trust people otherwise you will be bitten back in the bum.

Comments

• More +
                11.03.2010 14:35
                Very helpful
                (Rating)
                15 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

2009 was a very difficult year for me but I learnt a lot about myself

1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I was on my own for the first time in years; my husband and I unfortunately split up last spring. It has been difficult, being a single parent with two children, but he is a great dad and has them as often as he can, which gives me a well-earned break! We are slowly working things out. 2) Did anyone close to you give birth? A lot of my acquaintances gave birth in 2009 but no close friends; however my niece is due her first baby this May and I'm really excited! 3) Did anyone close to you die? No-one close to me died in 2009 thankfully. 4) What countries did you visit? Quite sadly the only other country I visited in 2009 was Scotland to see my best friend who moved there a couple of years ago. 5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I would really love to get my marriage back on track. 6) What dates will you remember from 2009? There are no specific dates I can remember, although August was a very difficult month. 7) Did you suffer from illness or injury? Thankfully I haven't suffered from any illness or injuries. 8) What was the best thing you bought? Either my Ipod speakers or my GHD hair straighteners. 9) What behaviour merited celebration? I am very proud of myself for coping so well with the breakdown of my marriage. 10) Whose behaviour made you appalled? At certain times my husband and I both behaved appallingly towards each other. 11) Where did most of your money go? On the kids, as always! 12) What did you get really excited about? I can't think of anything specific! 13) What songs will you remember from 2009? Lots by Armin Van Buuren and Tiesto, my two favourite artists. 14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive? I am definitely happier, and working on getting a lot fitter! I've changed my diet and am trying to fit a lot more exercise into my life. 15) What do you wish you had done more of? Spent more time focusing on my marriage instead of focusing all of my attention on the kids. I think this is something that many mothers do and it doesn't bode well for a marriage. 16) What do you wish you had done less of? Bringing home randoms to make myself feel better! 17) What was your favourite TV Programme? The Apprentice, The Inbetweeners. 18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? Yes, I do really hate someone who did their best to drive a wedge between me and my husband. 19) What's been your best book of 2009? I really enjoyed the first Twilight book and I'm about to start reading the second. 20) What was your greatest musical discovery? I didn't really make any great musical discoveries, though there was some decent music about. 21) What did you want to get in 2009? I wanted to learn to drive but I've had to put that on hold for now. 22) What did you want and didn't get? See above! 23) What is your favourite film of the year? I really enjoyed the first Twilight film, and The Changeling stuck with me for a long time after watching it. 24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I was 29 (the big 3-0 this year; dreading it!). I went for a meal and out for drinks. 25) What political issue stirred you the most? I was very annoyed by the politicians' expenses row; it is ridiculous that they could get away with spending so much public money on frivolous items when our troops don't have the right equipment. 26) Who was the best person you met? I made a lovely new friend who I love to bits. 27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? Don't believe everything that you're told!

Comments

More Comments
                • More +
                  10.03.2010 18:19
                  Very helpful
                  (Rating)
                  2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

2009 for me

*** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before*** Hmm, I joined Dooyoo! Besides that, not much else really. *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** Not that I know of. *** Did anyone close to you die? *** No *** What countries did you visit? *** France and the USA (Paris and Florida) *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** I'd like to be healthier, going to the gym more. Also try harder in school to get the grades I need for University and College *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** February 17th, for reasons I can't say. *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** No, touch wood. *** What was the best thing you bought? *** My laptop, and my iPod Nano, which I have reviewed (although they are old reviews to they're not very good!) *** Whose behaviour has merited celebration? *** My Grandad, who has coped very well in hospital, and I hope he comes out soon *** Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? *** I don't know *** Where did most of your money go? *** Towards my laptop and iPod which I mentioned before, and the school trip to Paris which I payed for myself (and was definitely worth it!) *** What did you get really excited about? *** Quite a lot of things, mainly Paris and Florida. Mostly Florida I think because that was for two weeks, and America is an amazing country *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** I went to Butserfest festival, so most of the music from that, which is pop-punk and rock music. Most of the albums that I have reviewed that were released in 2009 are memorable to me, but mainly The Blackout I think, and Attack! Attack! *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** All of them I think. *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Sport. Although I am healthier now than I was before, I wish I'd played more football, golf and tennis, and joined the gym, but I do all of these things now so hopefully I will be healthier by the end of this year. *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Nothing really. I don't regret anything major, but perhaps messing about at school and not getting the work done. I didn't realise how serious it was until now, because I'm doing my GCSE's, but I'm getting on alright so it's not the end of the world. *** What was your favourite TV programme? *** I watched a lot of TV. Towards the end of the year I started watching The Big Bang Theory, which is a great comedy. I also watched Wimbledon, like I do every year, and the Formula One. I also love watching Top Gear. *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** I don't really hate anyone, I never have. *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** I read by first Clarkson book in 2009, and I still like them now. I've bought most of them, but haven't got round to reading them yet. They're very funny, although some of the things he says are quite shocking, and far from politically correct! *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** I discovered loads of new bands in 2009. Most of the CD's I have reviewed were discovered in 2009, but like I said before, maybe The Blackout or Attack! Attack! *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** I've been needing a new phone throughout the last quarter on 2009, but besides that, I can't really think of anything. *** What did you want and didn't get? *** A phone, like I said. *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** I watched Get Smart with my friend, and we both loved it. Very funny film, and a good story too, so it might be that. I watched lots of films, so I can't remember. *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** I was 14, and I had some friends over for dinner. Nothing exciting really, but it was fun. *** What political issue stirred you the most? *** Politics doesn't really interest me, but throughout 2009 I learnt more and more about it, and watched a couple of Gordon Brown and David Cameron speeches. From what I've heard, Gordon Brown isn't doing very well, and David Cameron's policies seem very good. My parents support Conservative as well, so I think they'd be who I'd be voting for if I was of age. *** Who was the best person you met? *** In 2009, I didn't really meet very many people, but I developed many friendships with people from school who I'd never really spoken too before, and some of them are my best friends now. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** I learnt to not stick to my old friends, and to try and make new ones. Although I am still friends with people I knew since I was little, I have made new friends too, which I am very pleased with. Also, to anyone my age or younger, try hard in school, because this year I learnt where it can take you.

Comments

• More +
                    24.02.2010 21:19
                    Very helpful
                    (Rating)
                    8 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Here's to 2010

I can honestly say after a few duff years (my mum going through cancer treatment in 2008, my dad having a stroke at the same time) 2009 really did turn things around for me. I really do feel that for my family, things are on the up. Life is never perfect, rarely even smooth, and hey, it's boring when it is - so I think my lesson is to count my blessings. Here's my review of 2009 :) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I GOT MARRIED! After 8 years with my now-husband, it was time he made an honest woman of me! So yes, in July 2009 I went down the aisle in a beautiful, traditional, fairytale ceremony. It was absolutely perfect. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not in 2009 - a few work mates did, but none of my close friends did. My friend Julia gave birth to her darling son in 2008..I think it'll be some years yet before she repeats the experience! Did anyone close to you die? My Uncle Jack died in November. A very sad time. What countries did you visit? I went on a cruise for my Honeymoon, so with my new husband, we visited Majorca, Mallorca, Sardinia, Italy, France, Monaco, Vatican City and Spain. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? We currently rent at the moment, having relocated for work, so I'd like a house. And a kitty! What dates will you remember from 2009? July 4th, 2009. My wedding day and the happiest day of 2009 (and my life, so far :) ) I also remember two weeks prior to that when Michael Jackson died...I loved him, was a huge fan, and had tickets to his January shows :( Did you suffer illness or injury? Not to any huge degree. I had suspected swine flu in early August 2009 but aside from being sick and sleepy, it wasn't so bad. What was the best thing you bought? Oooh...well, my wedding dress, of course, and we also bought a new car in November when our little Peugeot died in the cold weather! What behaviour merited celebration? I got a better job in August 2009 which was an unexpected and nice surprise, so I must have done something right! Whose behaviour made you appalled? It takes a lot to make me appalled. In my own 'bubble', the only things which bother me are others being jealous (what's the point, really!?) and ungracious. Good manners cost nothing. Where did most of your money go? Our wedding, our honeymoon, moving house and buying a new car. I am very very careful with money though and am always saving and investing. What did you get really excited about? Well, I'm going to say the wedding again, aren't I? :) I think more than that though I was looking forward to being a wife. So far it has not disappointed! What songs will you remember from 2009? Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away...and Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror. Compared to this time last year, are you happier, fitter or more productive? I'm happier married and with a better job. I am probably slightly fitter because I have improved my diet to include healthier foods. I am as productive as ever I suppose...I don't really ever judge my own productivity! What did you wish you had done more of? Hmm..I don't know. I enjoyed 2009, what's the point of regrets? What do you wish you had done less of? Again...I don't have any regrets. What was your favourite tv programme? I love Eastenders for vegging out in front of the TV. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? Hate is a very strong word. I can't really say I hate anyone that I've ever met. I dislike people, but I'm pretty upfront, so I don't harbour any grudges or anything - I speak as I find! What's been your best book of 2009? Hmm..I am one of those people who re-reads books and only buys two or three new ones a month. My favourite book of 2009 is Memoirs of a Geisha which I re-read (originally purchased back in 1999). Such a lovely book. What was your greatest musical discovery? Re-hearing Michael Jackson's back catalogue after he died reminded me why I loved him so much in the first place. The man was a genius. I have been listening to Michael Buble's album - he's a brilliant singer. What did you want to get in 2009? Married! And lucky for me, so did he ;) What did you want and didn't get? I got everything I wanted and for that I am exceptionally grateful. What is your favourite film of the year? No stand-out films came out in 2009 for me. Like with books I have some absolute favourites which I watch over and over again. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I was 27, I couldn't get the day off work, boo hoo! My team bought me a box of chocolates and my husband bought me some lovely Chanel perfume. After work, we had a night in with a chinese take-out and a movie. What political issue stirred you the most? Barack Obama's inauguration in January 2009. Beginning of a new era. Who was the best person you met? I haven't really met anyone new in 2009..seeing my family all together was the best thing. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? Love yourself and be happy. Always be gracious and treat others as you wish to be treated.

Comments

• More +
                      22.02.2010 22:25
                      Very helpful
                      (Rating)
                      2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lets see what the future holds

1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? I went to Germany for the first time. I also started my amazon wishlist, started writing reviews on dooyoo. 2) Did anyone close to you give birth? Actually yes, my little sister gave birth to her first baby, a beautiful little girl called Katie who is now nearly 4 months old and the most important thing in my life. She is just so precious. 3) Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no one close to me, but I do know someone who died in 2009 and he will be sadly missed. 4) What countries did you visit? Germany and Spain. 5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I would like to have an ACL in my right knee, and more money and a job again when I am fit for work once again. 6) What dates will you remember from 2009? I will remember the date I did my knee in, the date my sister had her baby, the date I passed my driving test again. 7) Did you suffer from illness or injury? Yes, in March I suffered from a torn Mensicus and a ruptured ACL in my right knee which I am still waiting for a total repair on. 8) What was the best thing you bought? I bought many a thing last year lol. 9) What behaviour merited celebration? My sister having her baby girl. 10) Whose behaviour made you appalled? Many a behaviour appalled me throughout the year. 11) Where did most of your money go? Bills, on the car, shoes, clothes, games. 12) What did you get really excited about? My sister having her baby, going to Germany, Going to Spain. 13) What songs will you remember from 2009? Down by Jay Sean and Bad Romance by Lady gaga. 14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive? I am for sure not fitter, but I do think I am happier now. 15) What do you wish you had done more of? Seen more of friends, wrestled more, seen more of my family 16) What do you wish you had done less of? Getting injured, 17) What was your favourite Tv Programme? Desperate Housewives 18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? Don't think so, well they know what I really think of them now lol. 19) Whats been your best book of 2009? Twilight or The Host. 20) What was your greatest musical discovery? Uh..... dunno lol 21) What did you want to get in 2009? Not sure really 22) What did you want and didn't get? More money, less bills, own flat/house. 23) What is your favourite film of the year? New Moon 24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? 23, got very drunk after a nice meal with many members of family and friends 25) What political issue stirred you the most? Not sure 26) Who was the best person you met? I met some good new mates 27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? No need to worry so much, things will happen as they need to be so sit down, enjoy life and chill.

Comments

• More +
                        09.02.2010 13:37
                        Very helpful
                        (Rating)
                        2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Fingers crossed, 2010 is just full of ups ;o)

2009 was a mixed year for me. So this 'review' is split into 'good' and 'bad'. ~The Good~ My boyfriend and I moved in together. Previously we'd lived 80 miles apart so only saw each other on the weekend and the occasional Wednesday. I've taken the plunge and moved to where he lives, which is in Yorkshire (or 'The Dark Side' as it's officially known!). We haven't argued as much as we thought we might and it's nice seeing each other every day. Plus, as we've got a kitchen, we're not eating as many take-aways, so we've both lost weight. We bought a budgie who's gorgeous and I've started baking, which has mostly been a success. Apart from the rock cakes that were meant to be cookies! My sister gave birth to my niece, Evelyn (shortened to Evie before she was even born) and she's gorgeous too! She was born on September 3rd and she's now five months old and has just got her first two teeth. They're very sharp teeth, I must say. As mentioned above, I now live 80 miles away from her so I don't see her as often as I like. Two of my friends got married, which was a fantastic day and the hen do down in London was great too. ~The Bad~ After giving up my job mid-year to move over to Yorkshire, the company I worked for from August folded, so I was out of a job, which wasn't good when it coincided with moving into a new house, so it meant a lot of struggling with our finances. Luckily I started a new job this year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one! One of my friends got the news that his cancer was back. It hadn't really gone away, to be honest, despite the four lots of strong chemotherapy he's had and the numerous operations. He's currently in hospital having had a bone marrow transplant so we're all keeping our fingers crossed for him. So overall for me it was an okay year. The bad evens out with the good but I'm hoping for a better year this year, all round!

Comments

• More +
                          08.02.2010 21:41
                          Very helpful
                          (Rating)

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hope this year is just as good

My memory isn't what it used to be but here goes anyway..... *** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? *** Last year was filled with lots of firsts as we had our first child. Therefore I did lots of things I'd never done before like experiencing contractions, trying gas and air and being naked in front of complete strangers *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** Yes, me! I gave birth to my gorgeous daughter in July. It was an amazing experience and nowhere near as bad as I imagined it would be. My whole labour lasted 16 hours if you count from when my waters broke to when she arrived. The actual birth took just 6 minutes, she literally flew out. She was 6lb 7oz and I couldn't believe how small and skinny she was. She had a full head of very dark fluffy hair which has now fallen out and grown back blonde. *** Did anyone close to you die? *** Thankfully no-one and hopefully this year will be the same. *** What countries did you visit? *** Before our daughter was born we went on a relaxing holiday to Fuerteventura. I was around 24 weeks pregnant and getting quite big so we didn't want to go too far. The plane journey was rather uncomfortable but it was nice to get away together while we had the chance. *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** Definitely more sleep. We've been very lucky that our daughter has always slept well but she only started sleeping through the night when she went in her own room just after new year. Now she's dropped her night feed I'm just getting used to a full nights sleep again. *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** 29th July - My daughters birthday *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** I had SPD while I was pregnant which was very painful and made it hard to walk but it cleared up quite quickly afterwards. *** What was the best thing you bought? *** Lots of baby bargains off eBay for a fraction of the cost of buying them new. I love eBay! *** Where did most of your money go? *** I really can't remember. I expected it all to go on my daughter but surprisingly we managed to save just as much as we always have. *** What did you get really excited about? *** The birth of my daughter. Our first Christmas together as a family. *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** I really can't remember any, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to music. *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** Definitely not more productive as my brain is a lot slower than it used to be. So much happier and fitter but not quite back to normal yet. *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Sleep - again *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Worrying and stressing over tiny things I have no control over. But that's just the way I am. *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** Nope, I don't think there's anyone I hate though probably a few I don't like very much. *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** I read the Twilight books over and over again *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince, I was so disappointed I couldn't go and see it at the cinema. I was so heavily pregnant by that point I would have barely fit and the seat and would have missed most of it because of getting up to pee every 5 minutes. *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** 27 and we went out to a Chinese buffet. *** Who was the best person you met? *** My beautiful daughter of course. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** Babies aren't as expensive as you'd think so don't put off having one just because you think you can't afford it.

Comments

• More +
                          07.02.2010 15:12
                          Very helpful
                          (Rating)
                          2 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

Come on 2010!

2009!!! *** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? *** Went away with my college friends to Paris *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** One of my close friends had a little girl the week before Christmas *** Did anyone close to you die? *** My nana passed away in May, the day after my sons 1st birthday *** What countries did you visit? *** I visited France *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** Some extra money would be nice *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** 1st March - my 21st birthday 7th May - my sons 1st birthday 8th May - my nana passed away *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** Yes, i fell off a chute at a play park and hurt my back, ended up at A&E and im still in agony! *** What was the best thing you bought? *** My laptop from Tesco *** Where did most of your money go? *** Debts, bills & my son *** What did you get really excited about? *** Going to Paris! *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** Lady Gaga Paparazzi *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** i am happier and im getting fitter *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Spent more time with my son *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Ebay *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** No, i dont hate *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** I dont read *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** I dont know *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** I wanted to get debt free but that takes time! *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** The Unborn *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** 21 and we went out to a local bar for dinner and had cake! *** Who was the best person you met? *** No one springs to mind *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** You dont need money to be happy

Comments

• More +
                            05.02.2010 09:48
                            Very helpful
                            (Rating)
                            4 Comments

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good but tiring year

Everyone else is doing it, so here's my 2009 *** What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before? *** Nothing new for the first time last year, visited Austria err thats about it. *** Did anyone close to you give birth? *** Yes, my wife we had our second child on 28th November, we now have 2 boys. *** Did anyone close to you die? *** No thankfully *** What countries did you visit? *** Austria, for a conference with small children we didn't travel far last year - unless you count Wales a country? *** What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? *** More sleep *** What dates will you remember from 2009? *** 28th Nov, the day Edward was born 26 Aug Elijahs first birthday 30th September Being offered a brill new job *** Did you suffer illness or injury? *** No, put a bit of weight on though *** What was the best thing you bought? *** New Bathroom, does that count? *** Where did most of your money go? *** Children the ultimate financial black hole. *** What did you get really excited about? *** Having a new baby and seeing Elijah crawl, then walk and now talk. *** What song(s) will you remember from 2009? *** Dancer by The Killers *** Compared to this time last year are you . . . happier, fitter, or more productive? *** not fitter, happier yes and probably more productive *** What do you wish you had done more of? *** Time and money, the same as everyone I guess *** What do you wish you had done less of? *** Work!! Worry!! Eating!! *** Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year? *** Nothing really *** What's been the best book of 2009? *** Re-read the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake, a pleasure as always *** What was your greatest musical discovery? *** I'm not musical *** What did you want to get in 2009? *** A new job and a healthy baby and to see our little guy progress, I got them all so I was lucky. Liverpool winning the title, they should have but messed it up. *** What is your favourite film of the year? *** Avatar for the visuals and Star Trek for energising the franchise. *** What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? *** 36, nothing much. I think we had a barbecue as its in July *** Who was the best person you met? *** Edward my new son and Tithira my new work colleague she's great. *** Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009? *** Enjoy the time as it passes all too quickly ROLL ON 2011!!!!

Comments

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12