• Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion / Skin Care / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      18.04.2015 10:10

Advantages

• "sinks in quickly"

Disadvantages

• "smells medicated"

Smell puts me off unfortunately.

I had a sachet of Aveeno daily moisturising lotion in my massive sample stash which I am working my way through. I have no idea where it came from or how long it has been there! My legs were feeling a bit dry so I thought I'd give the generous 10ml sachet a try.

The brand
      I have heard of this brand before but really don't think I have used anything in the range that I can remember. It looks a bit old fashioned which is perhaps why I have not bought it on purpose.

First impressions
      The lotion is white and not too runny. It spread around my legs easily and sunk in quickly too, which is always a bonus as I tend to be getting ready in a rush. I noticed it smelt quite medicated though which is not a good fragrance for me.

In use
      I rubbed in the lotion over my legs and immediately they felt really soft. It did not feel sticky or wet at all so that was a good feature.

Price
      Superdrug currently sell 300 ml for £4.76 which is a good price as it is on promotion and it normally sells for £7.15. It does say it is fragrance free so the medicated smell I can detect must come from one of the natural ingredients!

What's special about it?
      This lotion contains naturally active colloidal oatmeal which moisturises dry skin for 24 hours.

Final word
      I do agree that this leaves skin soft, smooth and healthy. I can't comment over the two week promise to improve dry skin as I did not have enough to last this amount of time. Would I rebuy? For me the smell puts me off a bit although it is subtle, it smells like the inside of a medicine cabinet so I would probably not rebuy in a rush.

18.04.2015 09:07

Advantages

• "Instant results"

Disadvantages

• none

Everyone wants white teeth, this could help on your journey.

I was excited to get on a trial for Pearl Drops with the consumer testing site Bzz Agent and they sent me a tube of the Pearl Drops lasting flawless white toothpaste that promises to remove 100 percent more surface stains than a regular toothpaste within 14 days.

First impressions
      This is a very clean looking white tube with silver accents. It looks expensive

In use
      You are advised to use this twice a day which is no more than a normal tooth brushing routine. I use mine with an electric toothbrush and immediately noticed it had a pleasant but not overpowering minty taste. Built in to the toothpaste are tiny grains so it is lightly abrasive which obviously provides the stain removing ingredient.

My thoughts
      I did not think it was as gritty as the paste the dentist uses. Whilst it is a little bit more expensive than the normal toothpaste I buy it was not break the bank time. I do sometimes get sensitive teeth though so I have a special toothpaste for tackling those areas and this does not help in that area. I do want whiter teeth though so I shall continue with this one.

Results
      I did notice an immediate white benefit with this so I am happy to continue using it.

Price
      A 75ml tube is £6.99 from Boots. This is the top end of what I am prepared to pay but if it works, it is well worth it.

Final word
      This toothpaste tastes nice and does a good job. I just wish it could also help with sensitivity! But never mind, it's not a time consuming job in reality and it's worth a try if you want to improve the shade of your teeth.

• OPI Tickle Me France y / Make Up / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      18.04.2015 08:47

Advantages

• " smooth and shiny"
      • "long lasting"

Disadvantages

• none

Tickle my France y ? Go on then!

WOW! Is all I have to say about OPI's Tickle my France Y. Oh go on then, I'll do the full review... I received this particular polish in my wonderful Selfridge beauty box. Of course it went straight on, how could I resist this pinky nude colour.

Timing
      That was Tuesday, and now it's Saturday with one small chip it's still too good to remove and I still love the colour!

In use
      This polish is easy to apply, I put a base coat on to avoid staining and then two coats of the OPI and I must say it needs at least two coats to achieve a matt colour then a top coat to help with the wear and tear.

My thoughts
      This pink nude colour is perfect for any occasion. Well maybe not a goth convention but you get my drift. It goes on like a dream and looks so pretty and I am sure it also protects the nail a bit adding strength to it as I have bashed my hands by accident a couple of times and no issues on the polish or the nail.

Price
      Obviously I got my polish in a beauty box but normally the OPI colours are £11. I have to add that at 15 ml OPI are one of the most generous sized bottles of nail polish on the market. Nails Inc keep reducing the size of their bottles so you get better value in terms of content!

Final thoughts
      This colour is one that many will appreciate. It tidies up the natural nail without screaming look at me. It is subtle and adds grace and suitable for all ages. I am so pleased I got sent this in the Selfridges box, it really is a winner!

• Breo Sports Watch / Watch / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      18.04.2015 00:04

Advantages

• "Seems popular"

Disadvantages

• "not the best looking"
      • "Lose times"

Ok but not the best

The watch does have quite distinctive look about it and does 'stand out;' I think this is mainly due to the colour choices available. Mine was a really vibrant pink however these are also available in red, white, black, purple, green etc. Over the couple of years I had my watch; the colour didn't fade and still looked in excellent condition when it reached the end of its life.

The watch doesn't have any kind of clasp and is just a bangle. The length of the watch is 17cm, which I did find a bit of a pain as I don't have the most delicate wrists and hands and it does need a bit of force to get on. The men's version is only 18cm long which doesn't seem a lot and although there is a bit of 'give' in the rubber, I do think there may be a few men that cannot wear this.

The time is displayed by a LCD digital clock face, I find that the numbers are really clear and just a quick glance at the clock face meant I was able to establish the time. Down the side of the clock face is the product name in bold black writing.
      I'm not quite sure why this is classed as a sports watch as when I read the specifications of the watch, it is clear that this watch doesn't really operate as a sports watch as the only easy accessible functionality it has it telling the time and probably the fact that the material it is made from is a bit more durable and better under impact.

The biggest problem I had with the watch is its inability to keep the correct time, even over a 24 hour period, the watch seems to loose about 5 to 10 minutes a day. Whilst this might not cause some people a problem, my days at work are built around meetings and tight schedules so if I am late for one meeting, this has a knock on effect for the rest of the day. Another reason I hate this is because I hate being late for anything, however, having said that, it is easy enough to adjust the time, its just annoying having to do so. The battery can easily be replaced if you have a screwdriver small enough to remove the back of the watch face but to be honest, when the battery finally packed up completely last year, I decided not to replace.

I will say that although I wasn't that keen on mine, Breo must be doing something right as there was a period that wherever I went, I spotted someone wearing one of them!
      Overall, the watch is OK but just not to my liking and due to the couple of niggles I had, it only gets 3 out of 5 stars from me.

• Sylvanian Familles Panda / Doll / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      17.04.2015 23:47

Advantages

• Cute
      • "Good set"

Panda fun

The set of four figures retails for around £15 and is widely available in most toy shops and online from places such as Amazon, eBay etc. Lauren has loved Sylvanians since I gave her set of pig triplets at the age of three and I have noticed that the range often gets discounted during the summer months so this is when I tend to stock up ready. I picked these up from Amazon at a cost of £7.85 which I think made them quite a good purchase.

The pandas come in a small blue and white box which has a large clear panel to the front so you can see exactly what you are getting for your money. One of Laurens favourite aspect about the set is that to the back of the box is a little explanation story about each member of the family along with their name, she always tried to remember their names but I can guarantee within a couple of hours of me throwing the box away, she has made her own up. One of the reasons why I like this element so much is reading is one thing Lauren doesnt enjoy doing therefore anything that gets her wanting to read, gets a tick in my book.

The name of the family is the Bamboo family, it consists of four figures, mother Alexandra, father Bertram, brother Cane and sister Clarice, each member of the family is dressed in cute little outfit which can be removed completely and interchanged with other Sylvanian Family. The outfits are a little old fashioned in style, for example the mother is wearing a pink and white lace pinafore however I think this adds to their cuteness. The interchanging of outfits is another one of Laurens favourite things, she loves to change their outfits and I feel it helps develop her fine motor skills, I remember when she was younger, she couldn't manage this on her own yet with lots of practise, she has now mastered this perfectly.

From looking at the animals, there is no doubt what they are mean to be, the have white faces with black circles around their eyes, black ears, eyes and legs. The mother and father measure around 8cm tall, and the brother and sister around 2cm shorter. All the animals have moveable arms and legs which means that can be put in different poses such as sitting, waving, pushing the pushchairs or driving the car. When Lauren plays with these, her imagination goes into overdrive, I love to watch her relive real-life situations, just the other day she her Sylvanians were having an Easter Egg hunt.

I would definitely recommend this set and it gets 5 out of 5 stars from me.

17.04.2015 23:19

Advantages

• "So light"

Disadvantages

• price

Calm down dear, you've got Caudalie sorbet

I love the Caudalie brand and rarely find anything that I dislike about the range. I have a huge stash of samples and the sorbet was amongst them when I was looking through for a treat for my skin.

What does it do?
      The Moisturizing Sorbet has immediate and long-lasting calming properties. Skin is left refreshed, hydrated and comfortably soft.

First impressions
      I was impressed by how lightweight this sorbet was, it seems really aptly titled as it is quite light and fluffy.

In use
      It has a real cool feeling on the skin, even when used over a serum at night time. I think this is a perfect lightweight moisturiser for day or night. A small pea shaped amount is enough to do a full face.

Price
      A 40ml tube costs £23 which is quite expensive but it does go a long way!

My thoughts
      I like this product, from how it looks to how it feels on the face and also more importantly how it smells. It has a light and fresh smell to it and does not feel at all chemical or plastic.

Final word
      It is described as a gel cream which I think is a good description for this moisturiser. Organic grape water and calming chamomile are lovely on the skin and I like how this instantly cools my skin without making it feel red or sore. It is advised that you use the product after a skin serum and I used one from the same maker that seemed to go well together without feeling the skin was too congested. I'd love to buy more of this moisturiser in the future as it is really nice.

17.04.2015 23:05

Advantages

• "goes a long way"

Disadvantages

• none

Smells divine and feels great

I received a sample of the Garnier body oil in a magazine recently. I like to sample items to work out if I want to buy them in the future and this one seemed pretty good to me.

First impressions
      The product is described as an oil but it looks like a cream. It smells beautiful, and applies very easily to the skin.

What does it do?
      This smoothens, moisturises and also makes skin appear more beautiful. It has babassu, shea, almond and avocado as its key ingredients and is non greasy and not at all sticky and great for extra dry skin.

My thoughts
      My skin felt extra elastic with this product on. I like the appearance of cream and the results of oil without it being greasy at all. The smell is also very appealing, I can detect the shea ingredient in there.

Price
      A 400ml bottle of Garnier oil beauty is £6.98 in Asda.

Results
      I used this lotion on my arms and legs and I have to say it went a long way. I would certainly consider buying this in the future as I love the way it smells and the results were long lasting.

Final word
      I think Garnier products are generally good quality and you get good value for money with them too as you can often find them in bulk buy deals or with money off. I would recommend this oil based lotion and encourage you to try it as it's got a smell I think most people will love.

17.04.2015 22:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Didn't sadly work for me...

Oh dear I'm on my own here with reviews about AVEENO.

This first attracted me to try because of their natural ingredients stance. I think the more I know what works or what doesn't and the older I get the more conscious I become about what I put into my skin as a diet I'm currently on and will never leave because ts awesome [5.2 diet] has really given me more insight about foods and what we put in which for me has led to more natural ingrediants and the effects on skin long term on the outside as well.
      My friends rave about his and for them this works especially one who suffers from Eczema that has really helped.

I suffered breifly form dry skin a year ago on my arms mainly and instead of the usual things I try, E45 for example. I tried this in the hope it may be something else to try and start regularly using.

This is a skin relief with shea butter, which is something you really can't go wrong with, it has so many healing properties in, using an oat extract.
      This I found personally to sticky on my skin. I only used an average sized amount, no going over the top. It took a while to work into my skin and allow to dry or sink in to be able to put clothing on.
      The scent is also something I didn't really like, it was malty in scent and not something I found would grow on me so to speak.
      In the morning the cream I must say helped me skin feel softer but not for long in the day.
      After a week of trying, and I really did, I found this was not something suited to me.
      Sorry but this is something I would advise someone to try as a sample first before buying. x

• Purederm Deep Cleansing Nose Strips / Skin Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      17.04.2015 22:48

Advantages

• cheap
      • "remove stubborn blocked pores"

Disadvantages

• "may cause thread veins"

Good buy for problem skin

I had a pack of the Purederm nose strips in the cupboard for ages before I got around to using them. You get six in a pack and they are really easy to use.

In use
      You dampen down the skin on your nose, peel the nose strip from its plastic layer and press on to the skin. I then use a damp flannel on the top to mould it better around the shape of my nose.

then you wait...
      I wait for around 15 to 20 minutes before these are completely dry, then you can peel it off, taking care not to tug too hard at your skin especially near your eyes.

Results
      Even when these don't seem to have done a lot you can hold it to the light (I use a desk lamp) and you'll see all the tiny hairs pulled out and if you're lucky a couple of pores now unblocked.

Be careful
      Don't do this too much or you will not do your skin any favours and beware the open pores these strips leave. It is worth putting a layer of serum or cream on after to protect the exposed pores as you don't want them turning in to spots or getting infected. I sometimes use a toner to try and close them up a bit!

Final thoughts
      These are ok for occasional use and do work well on my skin. I like to use them around once a month so a pack lasts for ages. You can buy these at Holland and Barratt for £3.

17.04.2015 22:46

Advantages

• Durable
      • "Great storage"

Disadvantages

Great storage for all your miniature things

For the last 4 and a half years I ran an online business selling hand made Jewellery, this is one of the first storage containers I bought to keep all my little bits and bobs in when I first started getting orders, the business soon outgrew this little organiser but I still kept it on my desk with a few of the most often used items in it. Sadly I closed the business last month and have since passed this on to a young budding crafter.

Price and Availability:
      This is a made by Hobby craft and is part of their 'Really useful boxes' range which comes in way to many variations for me to list here but this one is £12.

Design :
      This is basically a miniature cabinet of miniature drawers with lids on. Each drawer or box holds 0.14l and there are 16 drawers in total 4 rows and 4 columns. Each box has a lid which clips in place on both sides with blue plastic clips. The lids are really secure once they are in place. This is ideal for storing beads, small craft items, beauty products like bobbles and clips etc or stationery items such as elastic bands, drawing pins + paper clips. Or it could be a really funky way to store loose change, you could put 1ps in the first drawer 2ps in the second etc etc Ok maybe I am the only person in the world that would do that but it has plenty of uses none the less.

Durability:
      I used this every day for over 4 years it moved house with me 5 times at least ( I move a lot) and I never had a problem with it, it suffered no damage all the lids were still intact and hadn't loosened over time and apart for a few scratches it was still in perfect condition which is much better than I expected from it to be honest.

Overall:
      Overall I will give this 5 stars as it lasted way longer than expected and probably would have lasted a few more years at least, it is a good price and is very useful for crafters and non crafters alike. I would definitely recommend this product.

17.04.2015 22:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

No conclusion to the case here.

In their own world, welcome to BLISSWORLD or maybe not.

I do like the BLISS range especially for body-care but the facial range has never seemed to work for me and I normally suggest to any friends, who like me, has skin issues with blemishes or oily skin this range doesn't quite work.
      On one hand this is obviously not the brands fault but on the other when they advertise 'no zit sherlock' you kind of expect something to work but as of yet neither my friends nor I had seen this product work:(

This comes as a three step treatment of only one I was able to try so maybe this is a factor?
      The reason I tried this is because it contained SALICYLIC ACID. This is the key ingreidants you need to beat those blemishes. My skin, due to my diet has changed a lot over the year and that means I now can have the best of both world by having spot treatments such as this and the added benefit of what else the product provides in terms of improving skin without running the risk of skin irritations.

This smelt fine and not medicinal and BLISS has a really good reputation for great smelling products.
      I used this consistently for over two weeks but I personally didn't see a difference in my skin. On the plus side my skin didn't react to this at all in terms of redness or causing the blemishes to look worse but it didn't reduce or heal them and neither did it help the slight oiliness on my forehead.

Although this is not shockingly awfully or anything like that, this for me did not help me:(

17.04.2015 22:30

Advantages

• "Great smell "
      • "Great Lather"

Disadvantages

• "None "

Pretty bottle and lovely soap

Right now, Home Bargains are selling Palmolive Liquid Milk and Honey hand wash at the brilliant price of only 99p for a 300ml sized bottle. These are old bottles, I think, as they look fairly dirty and dusty but the contents are fine and I don’t think it ‘goes off’. I have stocked up with quite a few bottles as I used to buy this hand wash at Tesco when it was double the price and then it just disappeared off the shelves for a while. I am guessing this is old stock.

This liquid hand soap come sin a pump dispenser and the pump gives out just the right amount of soap. It lathers up really well when the hands are wet and it is rich and creamy and has a lovely mild and delicate fragrance which sits on the skin for ages afterwards and really leaves the skin feeling soft and supple.

The bottle itself is also really rather pretty to look at and I am happy enough to have it on my bathroom shelf and I don’t feel it necessary to have to pour it into one of my ceramic soap dispensers, as I have done with some of the cheaper looking liquid soap dispensers.

I love the fact that it rinses off my skin easily afterwards and though it leaves a gorgeous smell behind, it does not leave any sticky or tacky residue. It feels like a really good quality liquid soap. I really do recommend it highly

17.04.2015 22:21

Advantages

• "Nice skin"

Disadvantages

• colour

Dr, I need a plantscription please!

This is yet another tube of Origins I had stashed away in the drawer that I brought out to use. I like serums as they are light and silky and don't clog up the skin, they are also generally anti ageing which is a great preventative step. I was interested to see how this one would perform. My tube is 15ml - a luxury sample but it will last a few weeks as you only need a tiny amount.

First impressions
      The serum is a yellowy colour, not the most attractive in my opinion. It has a light smell to it but not the usual earthy planty smell I have noticed with Origins. It's a minty smell, a bit like the foaming frothy face wash I reviewed recently.

In use
      I just use a pea sized blob and it's good enough to do the whole face and neck. This is great for night time and also in the morning as a thin layer under make up. I like the consistency as it is light on the skin and doesn't feel heavy or make my face go sweaty!

Price
      At Boots it is £48 for 30ml.

My thoughts
      I can't fault this serum, apart from the slightly dodgy colour it is everything I want for my skin in terms of it being light and easy to use. I do think it is a bit expensive but that is what you tend to pay for the Origins brand.

Final word
      I would certainly consider a repurchase of this in the future as I have enjoyed using my large sample tube. It has been a great introduction in to quality skin care and has definitely left me wanting more!

• Rodial Glam Balm Multi / Skin Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      17.04.2015 22:17

Advantages

• "multi tasker"

Disadvantages

• "smells like old ladies"

Nice product, shame about the smell

I am always on the look out for the Rodial products as they are great quality brand and expensive too so when I saw the glam balm on the cover of RED Magazine this month (April 2015) and with it also being a multi tasker I was keen to give it a try with the magazine cover price at £4 it was a bargain (this product retails for £24).

First impressions
      This promised to work on lips and dry skin anywhere as a multi tasking balm. I thought it sounded a bit like the Paw Paw multi balm I had been using. The first thing I did with this balm was to squeeze a bit out and I'm sorry to say my first thought was old lady handbags!

In use
      I love the concept of a multi tasker, keep it in your handbag for quick fixes on the move. Sadly, on top of the smell it had another down side to it. Having been sat in my handbag in the car the product heated up a bit in the sun and went to liquid so when I took off the lid it spilt from the tube over the contents of my bag. I was a bit upset by this as you can imagine.

Positives
      It does feel lovely on the lips and is a deeply moisturising balm. I could cope with the melting in heat if it did not have that awful smell to it!

My thoughts
      I do think this is expensive for what it is. I would not pay full price for it but feel I got good value for it with a free magazine to read too!

Final word
      I will use the tube I have but prefer the Paw Paw multi tasker to the Rodial.

• Ikea Malm Chest: 6 Drawers / Furniture / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      17.04.2015 22:16

Advantages

• "Stylish and modern"
      • "Excellent price"

A fab set of drawers

The Malm range is exclusive to Ikea and can be purchased online or in store, we chose the white units as I felt these were more suitable for Laurens room and they are currently priced at £79. Ikea does have a stock checking facility if like me you want to check they have stock before making a wasted journey however you cannot reserve online. What I will say is Malm is one of their popular ranges and in the past, we have looked at them several times and there was always plenty of stock.

This unit is called a 6drawer unit, however it is only 5drawers in height, the top drawer area is split in two (hence you get six drawers in total). Once fully assembled, is measures 80cm (w) x 48cm (d) x 123cm (h) so it is a really good size, it is quite tall and although Lauren can reach into the top drawer, she cannot really reach any items on top of the unit so I always that I put things on top of there that she doesn’t play with too often.

One thing that struck me about this unit was the depth of the drawers, the really are the deepest I have come across, each drawer is around 23cm deep so they can hold quite a lot (and only have the one child and a mum that loves shopping, it’s a good job). The design of the drawers is also quite different, they don’t have any handles, instead, they have are opened by a slant which acts as a lip across the top of each drawer, this means there is nothing for Lauren to bang herself or catch herself on. As the lip runs the whole length of the drawer, you can open it from any angle.

The drawers are really easy to pull open too, they are on metal runners which does mean they slide in and out effortlessly and the drawers also feature a little stopper which means that they cannot be pulled out of the unit without lifting so I don’t have to worry out Lauren pulling them on top of her. I would say that the base of each drawer is quite sturdy too, one of the drawers keep all of her shoes in and the base it still intact and hasn’t bowed in any way (I have had the bottom fall out of a lot of previous drawers).

I would definitely recommend this unit and the range, they are stylish, sturdy, spacious and an excellent price so they get 5 out of 5 stars from me.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown