• Apple iPhone 4 16 GB / Smartphone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.05.2015 16:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

A compact, slim phone which is brilliant.

I love this phone. My uncle bought it for me in May 2013 after I had a mini Sony Ericsson Xperia for a couple of years. My parents have recently moved towards using the iPhone 5s and 6s, and they've even offered to buy me an iPhone 6 if I hand in this iPhone, but I refuse to do so.

First of all, it's extremely reliable: not once has it crashed or stopped working for no apparent reason. With new IOS updates it lags a little for the first few minutes but it's really easy to get used to the new layout. I love that you can group apps together - I am currently at university and have a lot of apps related to 'work' and 'education' so going to the relevant apps in one place is really convenient. I like the amount of detail you can add to your contacts (different numbers which either belong to their home or mobile etc, their address and notes). The notes app is one of my favourites and the one I utilise the most: it's like the neolithic version of Microsoft word but is easy to use. I have written most of my essays on this (including my personal statement for university!).
      The iTunes and App Store are very easy to use, and they're always linked to the apps and music you download - for example, if you have already downloaded a song from iTunes, you can click on 'open' and it takes you to the music store.
      There are drop down and slide up options which make everything easier when your phone is locked. For example, the drop down option shows your notifications and reminders, whilst the slide up option lets you alter the brightness and switch on/off the bluetooth, wifi, orientation and do not disturb mode.

The very few cons would be that it does not have Siri, the lock button can get jammed and thus stop working, and it's not exactly accommodated for anymore - e.g., the iPhone cases are geared towards iPhone 4s (which still fits this phone) and the later models.

• notonthehighstreet.com / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.05.2015 16:35

Advantages

• "Vast collection of items."

Disadvantages

• "Each seller's dispatch time varies."

Great Site To Find Unusual Gifts!

This is a site I discovered quite recently. It's a unique online shopping space selling items by individual sellers and stores. It is a site best used for gift purchases since it has an extensive gift and novelty range. It also has excellent facilities for allowing you to best choose items that will suit the person to whom you wish to give the gift. For instance, you can search the site for gifts by narrowing the items down to those suited to particular personality types such as "art lover" or "pet lover".

The site requires registration prior to being able to make a purchase. However, the selling process is very simple. Items on the site are sold by different sellers so if you choose more than one item you will be charged per item for delivery and rates may vary according to each seller. The process is rather similar to Amazon MarketPlace or Ebay although I do feel as though this site is particularly well designed and very safe. The website individually approve all sellers before allowing them to have a selling account - this includes having the seller show their goods and providing any other information about their other professional standing.

Having ordered a few times from the site now I am happy to say I'm pleased with the service I received from all of the sellers I used. The items all arrived within a week of the order being placed and the items were packaged to a very high standard in order to adequately protect the items during transit.

I would say that in general the items on the site are perhaps more expensive than you might expect to pay for the same or similar items if you found them on the high street. However, most of the items on the site are quite unique and different and you'd be hard pressed to find them elsewhere. It has a boutique feel to a lot of the items. There is also a high degree of 'artsy' type products and hand produced items similar to what you'd find on sites like Etsy.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone who is looking for interesting, quirky, one of a kind gifts or products for themselves. This is a really lovely website to use for shopping as it's well designed with lots of photos and product information. It's also exceptionally simple to search through categories. It's enjoyable to see all of the different items available for men, women, kids and more and they have categories including fashion, art, garden, home, jewellery and weddings.

• next.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.05.2015 16:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good website, but needs to improve on the sale section.

My family have been a loyal fan of Next for many years with my mother regularly lining up at 5am in the morning during boxing day sales (insane, or just dedicated?)

The website, unfortunately, needs a lot of improvement! It's rather frustrating to use. The homepage usually consists of a model showcasing the newest trend or clothes - it's very professional looking and makes you want to search the website.
      There are drops down menus with the following categories: Women, Lingerie, Mens, Girls, Boys, Shoes, Home & Furniture, Label, Lipsy & Co, Flowers and Clearance. This makes it easier for you to quickly navigate to the relevant page you want. Each drop down menu has many sub-categories too. For example, in the Women section you can browse for clothing, shoes, lingerie, and also their collections.
      At the bottom of the homepage you have option to explore the company in 72 different countries, and there pages regarding Help, Privacy & Legal and Other Services. There is also the option of seeing them on social networking sites such as Twitter and Instagram.

I'm going to say that browsing the products is a real pain, again, but only so when you're under the SALE category. Whilst you can narrow down your searches in terms of department, product category, size and price, you cannot view the item in full detail! I.e., usually when you click on a product it takes you to a different page where you can view a detailed description, sizing and how to take care of the product. This makes me not want to purchase during a sale because I cannot see just what the product looks like, nor can I read any reviews. Most people rely on these to make purchases so Next should be wise to accommodate to that. It's quite important to note that returns policies are often different on sale items so there's all the more reason that customers should know what they're buying. However, having said that, you can view products in more detail when they're not on sale (full priced and not under the sale drop down menu). This is a relief, as I usually buy my blazers and work-wear from Next and I need to see how they look in depth.

I particularly like the 'Browse Our Collections' options - they list the relevant products in an attractive way, and it's like a Powerpoint presentation which you click to either go forward or backwards. It looks very professional and really emphasises the quality and elegance of their products.

Overall, I would say that the website needs a little bit of a touch up on the sale section. I would recommend that people use the website for general shopping, alongside with popping into stores, but I think it's a better idea to solely visit the stores during a sale simply because you can view the items more clearly (although, that may be a problem because so many people flock to the stores!).

23.05.2015 15:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

Chubby stick

What Clinique says about the product:

What’s colourful, chubby and chock-full of moisture? Clinique’s new pleasantly plump and playful nourishing lip balm. Packed with ‘do-gooders’ to keep lips luscious and irresistibly soft, NEW Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm provides a sheer hint of colour that glides on effortlessly, leaving behind a natural blush of colour and sheen.
      Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm’s highly moisturizing formula uses a special blend of decadent butters, oils and antioxidants to help protect and pamper lips with immediate and lasting moisturization. Infused with Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter and Jojoba Seed Oil, Chubby Stick delivers a surge of moisture in a sleek stick leaving lips soft, supple and soothed.
      Packaged in a playful, shade-matched crayon-esque barrel, the balm-like formula provides stay-true colour and buildable coverage. To apply, simply twist the base to expose more balm and twist back down before replacing the cap. Available in eight mouthwatering shades, ranging from nudes to pretty pinks and deep purples, it’s the perfect accoutrement for any occasion. Don’t leave home without one of these pout pleasers in.
      NEW Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm delivers full coverage in 8 rich bold shades. Lips are immediately moisturized and left with a soft glossy finish in a bright intense colour.

Remove cap to swivel-up balm, and apply to lips. Use to line and/or fill in lips. No sharpener required. To close, swivel-down and replace cap.

PACKAGING:

Good for keeping in handbag or makeup bag.
      Stores well in draws or in pots
      Sleek, expensive feeling

APPLICATION:

Easy to use
      Winds up
      Good colour pay off

23.05.2015 14:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A shade which suits all skin tones.

What Clinique says about the product:

My take:

First of all, I love the shade matched packaging - they are playful and a good size, and if you have more than a couple of these you'll know which shade you're picking up. The lid doesn't slide off easily either, so there is little worry of putting it into your make up bag and finding that the crayon has smudged everywhere resulting in an inconvenient mess.
      The texture of the product is smooth and buttery, with a moisturising feel. It's neither glossy nor wet, but more like a soft tinted balm. In this sense it's not really much of a unique product (especially given the fact that there are so many similar, moisturising lips crayons in the market). I would have also preferred a nice fruity scent - like any berry scent - given the somewhat decadent names, to have made it more appealing and pleasurable to apply.
      The twist up base is advantageous too: you don't waste any product and can make sure it doesn't smudge or crush anywhere by twisting the base back down. It would have been a bit of a nuisance to sharpen such big lip crayons.
      Onto the shade: It's more pigmented than I had expected, but it's a lovely pinkish mauve which would suit all skin tones. You can layer it up: subtle for the daytime, and deeper and more matte for during an evening.

• Qualcast Hedgemaster 420 / Trimmer / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.05.2015 14:25

Advantages

• "Good price"

Disadvantages

• "Easily blown"
      • Dangerous

Dangerous & Badly made.

I bought this hedge trimmer from Argos twice now. The first one I bought was just over a year ago and I was using is to take down some hedges at the back of my garden. After about 30 minutes the cable blew and snapped in half. I wish this was because I got it caught in the blade but unfortunately no it wasn't. The cable used seemed to not be able to handle the amount of power running through it. I personally thought this was a massive shame because the price was reasonable and I had read good reviews and recommendations via the Argos website.

I took it back and got my full refund as I was slightly concerned about using another one of the same. However, I thought this may have just been a manufacturing fault on that particular unit and decided to purchase another one and hope for the best. When I got it home I was doing the same again and removing some of the hedges from the back (just so you know I was going through any branches or large sticks).

Shortly after starting to my unwitting surprise the same happened again... In the same place on the cable. When taking further inspection into the cable I could see it had all burnt and was smoking slightly. The concern for me is if this happened to anyone else someone could get injured. I did notify the manufacturer of the issue and hopefully it has been resolved.

In my personal opinion I would try to prevent anyone from getting one of these due to the danger, but in all honesty. It could have just been a bad batch.

23.05.2015 14:11

Advantages

• "Light weight"
      • "Long cable"
      • "Powerful strimmer"

Disadvantages

• "Wire breaks easily"
      • "Small gardens only"

Black and Decker GL640SC Strimmer... Watch your feet!

So here is another review of mine... I own this Strimmer and it was working fine at first. It was a reasonable price for such a reputable brand, and I was delighted. Now I have a rather large back garden but the front garden is only small. So I started strimming the grass on the front lawn and it was great, the power of the strimmer cut through the grass like there was no tomorrow and I had the job done in no time.

What makes this job so easy in particular was the weight of the product, unlike other strimmers it was light weight and very easy to maneuver. The cable is of great length (around 4 - 5 meters if I'm not corrected) which is a massive help although could get in the way at times. But this helped me walk around the lawn without any obstruction (apart from the kids and cats). However, when I moved to the back lawn not all was easy as I thought...

My back garden was slightly overgrown at the time due to not having time to get out there. Within this overgrowth were some weeds. Now as these weeds were slightly thicker than the grass itself the strimmer had issues getting through it and the wire would snap really easily when ever going over one of these. The problem is... When the wire beaks, it hurts! In order to get through my entire back lawn I had to change the wire at minimum 6 times just because it wasn't durable enough.

As a result the product as a whole is fantastic and I couldn't ask for more out of it. Just shop around for a good wire and do not use the standard Black & Decker ones.

23.05.2015 14:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fresh, feminine fragrance which lasts.

"Gucci has long distinguished itself as the label of success for the world's most stylish individuals. Inspired by the Gucci Premiere Couture collection that debuted at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, Creative Director Frida Giannini conceived a new fragrance legend in the iconic and sophisticated form of Gucci Première. Gucci Première is a powerfully sophisticated aroma, with vigorous notes of wood and musk. Just as a leading lady graces the red carpet with her couture Gucci gown, so every woman deserves her Gucci Première moment"

Gift set contains:

- Gucci Premiere Eau de Parfum 50ml

- Body lotion 100ml

One of my favourite perfumes - it's currently on offer at Debenhams for £46.90, after being reduced by 30% from £67.00 - I would highly recommend one purchases this perfume when it's on offer as it makes it even better value for money. It has a beautiful white floral and citrus fragrance which feels decadently fresh and feminine. The composition of its notes are as follows:

Top: bergamot and orange blossom. The fragrance essetially opens with the luxury and exuberance of a vintage champagne

Middle (heart): white flowers and musk, which provide a timeless allure

Base: leather and wood, which gives the perfume a warm depth and epitomises glamour

Of these the most prominent notes to me were the white flowers, bergamot and the white flowers, with the least noticeable being the woody notes. It has a good longevity - being noticeable after a long day at work, and the sillage ranges from being moderate to heavy. The only con that I can think with this product is that given it's a 'parfum' I would have expected the sillage and longevity to be stronger. The bottle is very pretty in my opinion and could easily be collectible.

23.05.2015 13:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fresh, floral and spicy fragrance.

"Gucci Guilty eau de toilette takes its iconic entwined Gs as a catalyst and brings us a heroine who regards this emblem as an incitement to subvert. For this most contemporary of rebels, Gucci is the brand of sex and power. In Gucci Guilty, this woman discovers the very scent of defiance."

The Gucci Guilty gift set contains:
      - 50ml eau de toilette
      - 100ml body lotion

This was the first perfume gift set which my father bought for my mother (much to her surprise!). I have seen the price of this set range from £35 to just above £50. I've been quite cheeky and have sprayed the perfume on myself on a couple of occasions. It has a lovely floral and a soft spicy scent with its composition of notes as follows:

Top: mandarin orange and pink pepper
      Middle (heart): geranium, peach and lilac
      Base: patchouli and amber

Of these, the most prominent notes are the lilac (middle), pink pepper (top) and peach (middle), with the least noticeable notes being mandarin orange (top) and geranium (middle). It's a very feminine and fresh fragrance which I think it's quite perfect to wear year round, it doesn't have the artificiality of a lot of perfumes and isn't overbearing. With regards to the sillage and longevity: I think they're great. It has a tendency to 'burst' as you move around a room and you can still smell the scent after a night out. A little goes a long way with this perfume so it lasts for a long time even if you're an every day user. The bottle is relatively compact and looks good on the dressing table - whilst I've found some Gucci packaging tacky it's not been the case with this.

• The Range / DIY Store / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      23.05.2015 11:13

Advantages

• NONE

Disadvantages

• "ONLINE SHOPPING"

DO NOT BUY ONLINE

Under no circumstances should you ever order aything online from the Range. The despatch waiting time quoted is 7 -14 working days, which is a joke anyway. However after 18 working days they still couldn't tell me when they would be despatched. In the end I had to cancel and make two 40m mile round trips (yes 80 'bloody' miles) to buy them again.
      You have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      And to cap it all I receive two emails asking me to review something I had not received.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.05.2015 10:54

Advantages

• powerful
      • fast

Disadvantages

I would write more but I'm a little damp

Awesome service as always from PCS, ordered and delivered within 10 days.

23.05.2015 09:57

Advantages

• "Easily portable"
      • "Great features"
      • "Value for money"

Disadvantages

• Sustain
      • Complicated

Microkorg... A good product but a few downfalls!

Well... The microkorg. I used to own this synth a few years ago hen I was playing in a band, now I must be honest, the synth itself is brilliant but there is areas it falls down in. First of all let's focus on the good points...

The synth offers a wide range of sounds, samples and effects that can be modulated and manipulated to do what ever you need them to do. This is great for any DJ, pop artist or even rock bands. The synth is only 2-3 octaves and therefore is easy to transport and you need nothing more than a shoulder bag to carry it. It's easily connected upto any PA or amp itv the use of a single 1/4 inch jack-jack.

I have however noticed some bad points...

When I first took the synth out of the box and got it hooked up, it was very complicated to select sounds that I liked to work on and/or store a bank of sounds I'd created. Aswell as this the sustain button on the synth isn't sustain at all. With sustain you expect a nice ring out while the key fades out. However, on the microkorg this is not the case the note will just keep on going for minutes... Possibly hours but I never got that far. This was frustrating as all my melodies came out in stacatto.

I don't want to put anyone off this product but if you're buying just for fun I would steer clear. A good product but a few downfalls.

23.05.2015 09:26

Advantages

• "Tasty and filling"

Slim with chocolate

I have used Slim Fast for many years as it is widely available and is a trusted well known brand and you can also get it for a good price if you look round for where it is on offer. I bought this chocolate flavoured one from Boots half price for £2.97 which is half the recommended price but you will find it on offer at a lot of places as diets are very popular at this time of year.

The powder is contained in a round tin along with a plastic scoop so you know you have the right measurement and there is enough powder to make twelve drinks. You simply pour 250ml of skimmed milk into a glass or a shaker and add the powder and then stir or shake until the powder has completely dissolved. I will usually use a glass but making sure it is large enough to give it a good mix without it spilling or splashing over the sides.

Slim Fast recommend that you have a shake for two meals ideally breakfast and lunch and then have a calorie controlled meal in the evening. Personally I find that it is too much to replace two meals as I just feel too hungry so I will have a bowl of cereal for breakfast with maybe a yoghurt and then have the shake for lunch, and then a normal meal for dinner, but obviously being a bit careful what I choose.

I love the taste of chocolate and I wasn't disappointed with the taste of this as it is really quite a rich and creamy taste. It is also quite thick without being gloopy and tastes smooth and quite rich even though it is only made with skimmed milk. It contains most vitamins which you need for a healthy diet and also calcium, copper, iron and zinc and a complete drink is only 230 calories.

It think Slim Fast is great to be used as a short term dieting aid and is easy to make and drink. I will continue to use these shakes especially if I can still get them while they are on offer as I have got some lovely jeans I am aiming to fit in again soon!

23.05.2015 09:23

Advantages

• "Pleasant taste"
      • "Instant relief"

Cool relief from heartburn

I bought this Gaviscon original liquid as I do suffer with heartburn and indigestion so I like to make sure that I always have a bottle of this in and I had ran out completely so I bought this along with my weekly shopping from Tesco and paid £4.50 for 300ml. You can also get it in a larger 600ml size bottle which is around £7.20 but for both sizes if you look out for chemists or supermarkets which have special offers on this sort of product you may get it cheaper than this.

Gaviscon is made to bring fast and soothing long lasting pain and relief from the discomfort of heartburn and acid indigestion. It can also be used to treat gastric reflux and flatulence which is good to know! It is recommended that adults and children over 12 years of age take two to four 5ml spoons ideally after eating and again at bedtime, and children between the ages of 6 and 12 take one to two spoonfuls.

It does not have a child proof lock so you need to be careful where you store it, especially as the liquid is a bright pink colour which could be appealing to a young child. It is quite gloopy in consistency and it does not drip off the spoon easily if you are using a spoon to take however I will usually just drink it out of the bottle and will have one or two swigs according to how severe my symptom are.

I am sure that everyone reacts differently to medicine but this does work very quickly for me and I can feel a difference after just a few minutes. The hot burning sensation started to fade and the pain which I get down my tubes subsided quickly. If I feel that I need some more I will sometimes take another swig but more often than not I only have to use it once.

You can get other similar medicines which are cheaper but I am happy to stick to Gaviscon. At the end of the day I want something that I know will work quickly and effectively and this does for me. I don't really have a preference for which flavour I like best having tried them all now, but will just buy the one which is the best value at the time.

• Sainsbury's A1962 Hand Mixer / Mixer / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      23.05.2015 08:57

Advantages

• works

Disadvantages

• "struggles with heavier mixes"

In a fix - have a mix

I have had this hand held mixer for a number of years and before I bought my large Kenwood it got very regular use to make my cakes and to start my bread mixes. When I bought it it was around the £20 mark from my local Sainsbury's but this was a few years ago now.

The first time I used this there was a slight hot plastic smell but this is normal for new appliances and it soon disappeared and after a couple of uses it stopped all together. It has to be said that if used for more than a few minutes at a time it does become slightly warm. Whilst I wouldn't advise using it for long continuous periods most day to day uses shouldn't cause it many, if any, problems.

The machine is fairly light and comes with two 'beater' type attachments along with dough hooks. The 200 w power is high enough to cope with many day to day uses although I did find that it struggled slightly with heavier cake batters. The five speed mechanism is good and I would advise that you start with it on the lowest setting them increase it as you go to ensure a good mix and to prevent sending clouds of flour everywhere. There is a boost button which allows you to increase the speed of the beaters for a short burst without adjusting the main speed setting. I find this useful for getting rid of any lumps in my mixtures.

The beaters/dough hooks are easy to fit and pressing the speed control releases them easily. The machine does not feel flimsy as some hand mixers can despite the outer body being made of plastic and it is not overly heave and the handle is a good size. The flat back make it easy to stand up without the beaters touching the worktop which is also good. The flex is also a good length so this makes it easier to use as well.

Since buying my big Kenwood this hand held mixer has become my go to for things like making butter cream or mixing smaller quantities of things where using my main mixer is a bit of an over kill. The beaters and dough hooks are stainless steel and are easily cleaned in hot soapy water and the body is easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown