• netflix.com / Internet Site / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.04.2015 00:04

Advantages

• "perfect buffering"
      • cheap
      • "remembers what you were watching and where you were up to."
      • "Kids only section"
      • "100s of TV shows"

Disadvantages

• "Needs an internet connection"

Perfect - no need for TV!

Netflix is an online streaming TV service which can be accessed through any console, smartphone, computer or internet TV (and also available on some box services such as Virgin)

Me and my partner decided to get the free trial with the view to cancel before the month was over. The first thing we started watching was Breaking Bad, and instantly we were hooked. 3 months later we are still using it and now paying £5.99 a month.

We access netflix through our Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and laptop.

You can set up an account with one email and billing details (no payments are taken if you are on a free trial) and you can then set up multiple profiles inside that one email login.

The profiles are very handy, we have a joint profile, then a separate profile for my partner and me where we watch only the shows we like. It is best to create profiles as Netflix saves what you view, and also creates clever suggestions based on the shows you like. You can also rate shows when you are logged in.

Netflix is chocked full of films, TV series, one of shows and also programs which are exclusive to Netflix and cannot be found on TV.

Netflix also has a "kids" section, which is fantastic, and has so many programs you will never need to access a children's channel again. The menu options are very easy and handy so that children can use them too.

The wireless connection in my house is quite poor, and I struggle to access Youtube videos from my bedroom, but Netflix works perfectly!

Out of all the streaming and rental services we have used, this is definitely the best.

• insureandgo.com / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.04.2015 00:02

Advantages

• "cover more than most"

Disadvantages

• "not the cheapest"

very much worth a try especially if you think you cant get travel insurance

My 16yr daughter has recently being diagnosed with anaphalaxis (severe allergy) to soya, which has needed life saving treatment 7 times within the last year so we were worried about finding travel insurance that would cover her to go abroad and we were right to be concerned as most places refused to give her cover even for a 7day trip let alone a years policy which we wanted, but not insure and go.
      As soon as i rang i explained that i was struggling to get cover and that i didnt want to waste mine or their time if there was no chance of cover, i had instant reassurance that it was unlikely to be the case, which made me feel very much at ease.
      after completing the forms over the phone they offered me cover both including her condition and also excluding it , so i felt happier that i did feel i had a choice in the cover i took out, although for me it was a no brainer which option to take.
      i wanted some time to consider which again was met with a warm reply, and the lady agreed to ring the next day to confirm if i wanted to continue, which she did at the agreed time.
      As it is a potentially life threatening condition we expected the excess would be high but in fact it was only £50, the whole family and her were covered way more than we would normally take in respect of travel insurance, but it was very much worth it for peace of mind.
      insureandgo may not be the cheapest, it cost us £179 in the end to cover myself, my hubsband and 3 teens for the year, but its so much cheaper than if she had a reaction abroad and was uncovered.
      i cant praise the customer service staff enough for ensuring that all my worries were answered and that my policy was tailored to suit our family, so its worth giving them a go especially if you have conditions that many other travel insurance companies wouldnt touch.

• La Mer Hand Treatment / La Mer / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      27.04.2015 23:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

A normal, ridiculously expensive hand cream.

I received this as a gift from my aunt and felt excited to try it as La Mer has a good reputation. It left me feeling slightly disappointed.

The claim:
      A silky formulation that resurfaces, protects, and heals the hands.

The verdict:
      The cream feels luxuriously silky and instantly cools the hand down when applied. When it dried my hands felt somewhat softer, looked a little 'matte', and felt really moisturised. However, all of the hand creams I have previously used had the same effect and it didn't seem particularly special - I recall that a damask rose one from Dove was especially wonderful and made your hands feel so feminine. I continued to apply the cream for a few days and still didn't notice a difference. My mother applied some of this cream too and she reported minor irritation - I think it's because it contains natural plant extracts and fragrance chemicals. So if you have really sensitive hands, it may be wise to try this as a sample first, or otherwise stick to fragrance free hand creams.
      One thing which really annoys me is that it claims to contain "declustered water". I have no idea as to what that is. I studied chemistry to an advanced level and never heard of it. La Mer claim that it penetrates skin better than regular water, BUT, there is no research proving it to be a superior choice for skin over regular water. Our skin has a tendency to take on water anyway, and too much water is in fact a bad thing - it's why many doctors will tell you to avoid sitting in a bath of water/shower for too long - our skin becomes vulnerable and its natural barrier can be impaired.
      Looking at the ingredients, it's essentially algae, mineral oil, Vaseline, lime extract and thickening extracts. Nothing special, but enough to make your hands look better.

Ingredients:
      Declustered Water, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Tourmaline, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Retinyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Pantethine, Cholesterol, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Bisabolol, Linoleic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Caffeine, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Tocopheryl Nicotinate, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Butylene Glycol, Magnesium Sulfate, PEG-100 Stearate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Citronellol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol.

And before I forget: the price is absolutely ridiculous. Scrubbing your hands gently with honey and brown sugar, and then moisturising with your everyday (good) hand cream does the job at a fraction of the cost.

27.04.2015 23:05

Advantages

• "long lasting "
      • "not sticky "
      • "smells great "

Disadvantages

Great for any hair type!

I was quite hesitant about buying this due to it being £6 for a small bottle, but oh my what an investment!
      I have over possessed bleached hair and I needed a serum that would strengthen my hair because it's in a terrible condition due to the bleaching. This serum has become my savour! I've noticed how my hair seems to have sprung back into life again, I have medium length hair and just one pump of this serum warmed up in your palms is plenty to cover all your ends. I keep it away from my roots as it does give a shine to your hair, (the good kind of shine though) but it's not something you would want on your roots. It also smells amazing, I've received so many complements on the smell, it's not overpowering or anything it's just right. My friend also tried this serum out and she has frizzy wavy hair, she found that it smoothed out her hair so her waves looked more neat. 10/10 would reccomend to everyone and any hair type. I've been using it for just over a month now and I've still got a good 3/4 of the bottle left, really worth every penny!

27.04.2015 23:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Heavenly heels

Forget the party, this is fantastic during the Summer months or when on your feet in the evening, okay then there great at parties!

I was so worried that these would be very obvious, slippery, too bulky or just would not work.
      I didn't have a chance to see any reviews or check if other found them to be good but knowing the brand name SCHOLL was all I needed to know that they are and will always be experts in foot care.

Although their was an inner battle between price nothing really can compare to comfort and decided on the leading brand that would help me get through the day on heel in Summer.

These are easy to apply to your shoes and comfortable. The moment you open the packet and feel the gel you know its got a firm grip and once on the shoe you fiddle around to place it correctly but in a good way because you know its got a good grip on the shoe.
      When you put your foot on the gel it's cooling and almost like a massage. It's slim and not bulky and doesn't slip at all. I almost forget these were even in my shoes.

These retail at £4.99 for one pair. Which does seem like a lot but you can reuse these and once again the comfort is far better than expected I couldn't argue with the price after a heavenly day in heels!

These were purchase from BOOTS at the time but they are almost everywhere.

27.04.2015 22:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

Skin saving cream

This was an absolute lifesaver last Summer and I'm can't thank the person enough who made this! It's a VITAL part of our store cupboard or first aid kit.

All I'll say is for an unknown x-file strange moment all I did was Epilate my legs as I've always done the next morning my legs were on fire!
      They were itching quite bad and felt like they were burning. Apart from antibiotics, this was the only thing recommended. Although I had put E45 on it had done nothing which I was very surprised at even when I had mentioned what I had used to the Doctor, she mentioned that she wouldn't go for that although it is a good brand.

This repaired and healed by legs in less than 24 hours. I couldn't believe the instant relief it brought.
      This is way lighter in texture compared to E45 which for me I found better as it took less time to sink into the skin and felt considerably smoother once it had sunk in.
      This is also a cleanser which I never heard of before. Even a member of my family said this is what they use when they need to clean patients as its quick and effective. This helped healed my skin and keep it clean throughout the day.
      This is a huge tub stocked by BOOTS 500 ml for £4.09, let's not forget the 9p, every penny helps x.
      Although I worked a lot into my legs the tub refuse to go down and it seemed like this was a pot that was going to last forever.

I would highly recommend this for all households with dry skin issues whether you expert them or not x

27.04.2015 22:39

Advantages

• "Makes feet feel soft and smooth"
      • "A little goes a long way "

Smooth feet

I do tend to get a lot of hard rough skin on my feet which is unsightly and it can itch and get really uncomfortable if it gets too built up, and it looks cracked and can feel rough to the touch. I have used numerous brands over the years and they do help to soften the skin but my problem is that I don't use them often or for long enough so that just as they start to work then I put the cream away for another few weeks so that the work that it has started to do just goes back to where it started.

I bought this Dr Hauschka rosemary foot cream online from Amazon for £5.50 for it which is good as the recommended retail price is £8.50. It is just 30mml and comes in a white tube with a red stripe and it gives you the ingredients and instructions for use, and that it can provide moisture for your feet for twenty four hours. The cream is white and fairly thick but it squeezes easily out of the tube. It does have a subtle smell which is fresh and clean and it would be suitable for both sexes as it isn't really perfumed or feminine.

To use I will squeeze a small amount onto my fingers about the size of a pea and then rub it around my heels gently. It feels soft and silky when it is being rubbed in and it spreads well and absorbs quickly into my skin. I often put my socks or shoes on almost immediately after using the cream and there is no wetness or sticky feeling as the cream really does soak in well.

I will go through fads of using this cream and will probably use it for a week or so and then will leave it for a few weeks or more. I will obviously use it more in the summertime when my feet are on show as there is nothing worse than seeing hard cracked skin on your heels as it is usually darker and can look as though you have dirty feet!

When I am using the cream my feet definitely look and feel better so I really should use it more often as the hard skin can build up quickly. I have used many other brands before but I do like this Dr Hauschka one as it is a nice thick consistency, it absorbs well and more importantly it does smooth over the cracks! You really only have to use a small amount and it seems to go a long way so can work out better value than cheaper ones where you have to use a lot more cream.

A lovely luxurious cream which does the job

27.04.2015 22:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hats off to BOOTS own brand

BOOTS own brand is something that I had been quite impressed by over the last 12 months and its a brand I would happily suggest to others whether your on a budget or not. I increasingly look for any new ranges they bring out. This has been out a while but they now have brought out a fruity scent of shower gels.

This brand is not one that jumps out on the shelf, blink and you'll miss it but you definitely won't miss the price. Sometimes I'd say that the price will reflect the quality, but not so here. You are genuinely paying for a good product that works, yet everyone is different. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't tried.

This has Shea butter as a ingredient which goes a long way to understanding why this is so soft on the skin and leaves your skin feeling soft. Obviously the higher the Shea content is the better, it's not quite clear the % within this bottle.

I would say that while this is good and does work you may need to add more shower gel to your skin as the consistency is a little on the thin side and work it in for a little longer than you normally do then rinse off with warm to hot water.
      The scent is just gorgeous, clean and fresh.

This is now a regular on our lists when we go to BOOTS. This retails at 300ml for ONLY £1.39 and if you have the points already saved up, even better!

• Nestle Lion Bar / Chocolate / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      27.04.2015 22:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

A yummy taste of childhood.

Lion Bar is another of one of those childhood favourites that brings back a good memories every time we purchase it in our family. It was introduced in the 1970s by Rowntree’s (makers of KitKat, Aero and Smarties amongst other things), who, in 1988, were taken over by Nestlé.

I personally don't think the Lion Bar is a sophisticated chocolate bar (for example such as Green & Blacks), and it has no pretentions of being so. It’s just a good old-fashioned chocolate bar with lots of yummy things crammed inside.

The bar consists of a wafer, filled with creamy stuff, covered in caramel, topped with crisped rice and coated in milk chocolate. It's almost a mish-mash of a KitKat and a Toffee Crisp.

The result is a deliciously chewy, crispy chocolate bar that’s satisfying. Incredibly satisfying. The ratio of the wonderful crispyness to the decadent chewyness is just right; the caramel is tasty and the chocolate is pleasant enough, if nothing special. For those who like a Lion bar often, it makes sense to move a little more to help burn the calories.

All in all, an unpretentious and yummy chocolate bar. However, one thing must be mentioned – don’t keep this one in the fridge overnight. If you do, the caramel becomes really hard, you lose the chewyness, and your teeth hurt.

I find that this is best served at room temperature with a nice cup of hot, sweet tea. But then again, I’m British, so I would automatically think that.

Right, I'm off to buy a bar. Or four.

27.04.2015 22:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very useful but a little hard to steer.

I use this pram chassis with the car seat attachment, but you can also use a lie-down baby basket attachment too.

This pram is very easy to assemble up and back down, with a 1,2,3,4 labelled area that you press in order to set up, and then 4,3,2,1 to put it back down again. It is quite compact flat so great for fitting into the boot of a car, and also for travelling on bus and train when you may have to quickly and easily flatten the pram. And because I use the car seat, baby is still safe and secure when the pram is taken down.

This is actually my 2nd of two prams that I use. I have a large travel system which I use for long walks and journeys for baby. And I tend to use this pram with the car seat attachment when I know I will be getting in and out of a car or using public transport as it is much easier to flatten and pack away than my other pram.

The two front wheels are rubber, and the back are tires which need to be pumped.

Positives:
      - compact
      - very easy to put up and down
      - luggage bag with velcro fastening underneath
      - tire pump included.

Negatives
      - back wheels do not steer very well
      - tires seem to lose air quite often
      - back tires are wider than the rest of the pram so I often end up thinking I can fit through a space I cannot!

27.04.2015 22:30

Advantages

• "Good price"
      • "Removes all traces of make up "

Simply do the job

I have been buying these Boots Simply Sensitive facial wipes for many years on and off as I have found them to be very good quality and at 99p for 30 wipes they cost less than 3p per wipe which is great value. They come in different types but I prefer the sensitive ones as they are nice and gently on my face. Boots often have offers on these wipes such as buy three for two so they work out even cheaper.

The wipes measure 20cm by 20cm and are white and feel quite thick and strong and I have never experienced them ripping or tearing when I am using them. I can feel the moisture from the wipes sinking into my skin and my face feels lovely and soft afterwards. They come in the usual plastic packet with a peel off closure tab which seals back securely and I have not experienced them drying out even when there are only a few left. To use I will start off with my forehead then work down to my neck and then finish off with my eyes which is where I have the most make up. I will sometimes fold the wipe over to maximise the usage and I have never had to use more than one wipe at a time so far and I don't have to use too much pressure either.

I do really like these wipes and find them just as good as far more expensive wipes I have bought in the past. They do a fabulous job of removing all traces of my make up and leave my skin feeling refreshed and clean. These wipes are affordable, effective and excellent quality and I will definitely buy them again. These are a great every day cleanser which are affordable and I find that they remove every trace of my make up including waterproof mascara, and I never have panda eyes in the morning when I have used these wipes.

A great everyday facial wipe at an affordable price

27.04.2015 22:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Rockabye Baby

I used this rocking stand combined with a Mammas & Pappas moses basket for my baby for the first 4 months of her life.

For starters the wooden frame is very sturdy and trustworthy ( very good for a worrying new mother ). before I popped the baby onto this stand I put the moses basket on the base and rocked it as far as I could, and as hard as I could, and it showed no signs whatsoever of falling over or tipping, very reassuring!

The base is curved so that baby can be rocked to sleep, but if baby is not rocking-friendly there are circular plastic "brakes" on the bottom so that you can stop the basket from rocking - also great for if you have a fidgety baby who will start the basket rocking on their own.

The base holds any generic moses basket, secured underneath by the wooden sections, but also has two adjustable plastic "hammock" type arms at the bottom, which can go underneath or around the ends of the basket, depending upon shape, size, and how you would like the basket to sit.

My little girl was born 6lb 11 and stayed in the moses basket until she was almost 11 lbs. She still had plenty of space but I felt it was the right time to move onto a cot due to her moving around a lot.

Some people will suggest a moses basket is not needed, and especially not any frames or extra equipment to go with them. But I found this rocking stand very useful, and definitely worth it for me and the baby and contributed to a very good night sleep!

• Lindam Door Bouncer / Baby Activity / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.04.2015 22:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Jolly good bouncing fun!

The first time my baby laughed was being lifted up and down in someone's arms, being bounced very high, up and down. For a long time this is the only way she would laugh at all, and as you can imagine, this was very tiring (even if it was a good arm work out)

We saw the Lindam door bouncer and decided it would be perfect for her to have a good jump and a giggle without the expense of our arms all the time!

The door bouncer can be used from 3 months, as long as the baby is tall enough, and has good head control on their own.

The bouncer is very easy to put up. You clip it onto the door frame with a very tight-spring clasp, there is no need for any DIY or changes to your current arrangements. The baby clips into a nappy-like seat and the height can be adjusted to ensure your babies' feed are correctly touching the floor (you don't want them swinging from the door frame!!)

The first time my daughter was put in she needed a little encouragement, and a few assisted bounces, but she soon got the hang of it and enjoyed it very much!

I have quite small door frames so she is always supervised when using the door bouncer, but no matter what size frame you have, babies should always be supervised in this kind of device.

A safety note - please make sure you give the door bouncer a good tug before you put baby in, firstly to check the bouncer is secure, and secondly to check your door frame can handle the strain!

• MAC Studio Fix Fluid / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.04.2015 22:01

Advantages

• "Impressive range of shades"
      • "Good Coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Shows up dry skin"
      • "Caution if you have oily skin - may make you break out in more spots"
      • "Feels too heavy on my skin"
      • "Have to purchase pump separately"

Not good for people prone to spots with oily skin

I wanted to try Studio Fix Fluid after all the amazing reviews about it after much research online, but have to say, I am quite disappointed. I went to the MAC counter and was actually thinking that I might buy the MAC Pro-longwear foundation as my aim was to buy a foundation that suited oily skin and would stay on all day. My skin is quite oily and I do end up re-powdering over foundation every couple of hours if I get the chance. However, I am a busy mum and was hoping for something that might stay put all day.

The lady at the MAC counter didn't even seem to want me to try Pro-longwear and kept raving about Studio Fix and how it is the most popular with all the customers, which is what I'd generally been reading online. Therefore I never even tried the Pro-longwear and ended up buying the Studio Fix at her recommendation. I did try the Studio Fix on in the shop in NW18 as I'm quite fair and it did go on nicely at the time. However, I should have taken as a warning sign the fact that she told me that she was wearing it herself and it was only 11 in the morning and I could see it looking greasy on her face!

When I got it home I had high hopes that it was going to be the foundation that I'd been searching for but I was wrong.

As a bonus point, it does provide very good coverage and seems to blend in nicely. Major problem for me though is that after about 2 hours it just hadn't stayed put and seemed to slide off my face and look greasy. Just doesn't seem to suit my oily skin. Weird thing is though that it also seemed to show up any very slightly dry bits of skin too! I also think it's a bit annoying that just as you decide to buy it you realise that there is no pump and that you have to buy that too. The more I used this foundation, the more spots I seemed to get too. I found that although it glided on nicely, once it had dried it just felt really heavy on my face and cakey, I tried putting less on, but it just felt the same.

I think maybe its better suited to people with quite even skin and not prone to spots or with oily skin.

For me it's definitely not worth the money for the results I got.

• Sally Hansen Nail Care in General / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.04.2015 21:50

Advantages

• "good range of choice"

Disadvantages

• "can cost a lot"

Sally Hansen - it's worth a look

Sally Hansen is a brand I often turn to when I have nail issues. I think I have pretty much tried everything in the range. I think the reason why I turn to them is that they are very available in store and supermarkets so they tick the convenience factor. You can browse all the products and find what you need.

With this convenience comes a price. You can find the older stock in Savers at a discount but generally you can expect to pay over the odds.

I do like how SH makes a range of nail polish removers for different issues such as conditioning or whitening but again they are more expensive than usual - around £4 a bottle instead of £1 for the shop's own version.

I have tried strengtheners, files and buffers, quick drying top coats, cuticle oil, and a whole host of other treatments in the range. I did like a pink shaded nail nourishment that also had a nice finish to it as a coloured polish - from the "Hard as nails" range but couldn't find it again when I got to the bottom of that bottle. It had a really nice shimmer to it and I liked the weird shaped bottle with a wide neck on it. I think I only paid a couple of pounds for that one but used every drop.

All in all I do like the range from Sally Hansen, it generally does what it says it is going to do but it's not good to use strengthening products long term as they can dry out the nail after a while and they will grow long and strong but still break on you.

If you are having an issue with your nails it is worth looking at the Sally Hansen range although their nail polish removers are not my favourites.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown