• Mothercare Cat Net / Pushchair & Pram / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.08.2015 01:45

Advantages

• "Fits quite a few different pushchair styles "

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't really work"

Not the best idea Mothercare have ever had...

It's amazing what you come across when you're having a sort out, this cat net I remember buying from Mothercare when my son was born. My mum likes to bond with her grandchildren by taking them overnight at a very young age, she's done it with all four of my kids but things were a little different when David was born four years ago as she then had three cats. I've had very little to do with cats but the horror stories I'd heard of pet moggies lying over baby and suffocating them made me very nervous as the time drew near to send (very) little David over.

The Mothercare Cat Net is basically a net to be fitted to your pushchair, it's largely elasticated with a couple of ties to ensure a tight fit. Obviously the cat net won't fit every pushchair on the planet, it didn't even fit every pushchair in my collection, so do check your model against the list supplied by Mothercare before buying one.

It works by being a tight mesh rather than the less taut netting you can buy to stop bugs, mosquitoes etc getting near your baby. The tightness makes a deep slope which a cat can't really lie on without falling off - the fatal flaw being my mums biggest cat is potentially morbidly obese and the sheer weight of Tigger was just too much for the net to cope with and it simply drooped inwards (rendering baby suffocated by cat AND net).

It was quite obvious this was going to happen which is why I ended up using this as an insect net after all (and hence the reason it has lain unseen for a couple of years until my recent de cluttering session) and the moggies were forcibly and unceremoniously thrown out until David was old enough for death by cat not to be an issue.

In short, a bit of a waste of money and in one way totally dangerous as if you put your faith into a basic product like this the outcome really doesn't bear thinking about.

• Dove Soap Dove Cream Bar / Soaps / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 00:40

Advantages

• moisturising
      • "lathers well"
      • cleansing
      • "good for dry and sensitive skin"
      • "Lovely fragrance"

Disadvantages

• "does not last as long as some bar soaps"

A good value moisturising cream soap bar

I love Dove products and always use Dove deodorants and other items in the range. However I was recently re-introduced to the Dove soap cream bar. My hubby bought me some and I fell in love with the lovely soap all over again.

Each bar of Dove original Beauty Cream bar is made with one quarter moisturising cream and it states on the blue and white box that the key to beautiful skin is moisture so that is why Dove created the beauty bar with one quarter moisturising cream.

I like the way this soap does not have an overly strong perfume fragrance but smells very fresh and it is perfect for my dry and sensitive skin. My skin does feel softer after using this product. I only use it on my body as my face is too sensitive for any soap which has fragrance but I love the way in which it makes my skin feel refreshed and less dry after use.

It is available in most supermarkets and chemist shops. I have seen it in Sainsburys in a pack of two for one pound fifty pence which I think is reasonable for a good quality soap.

The only thing I would say against this soap is that due to it's moisturising qualities the soap gets quite soft and does not last as long as some bars of soap. However as it is not overly priced and it is a good quality item I do not mind replacing it on a more regular basis than other soap.

I am glad to be reunited with this lovely cream bar and shall be continuing to use it from now on.

31.08.2015 00:28

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Good Value"

Lovely Value Watch

I am quite a fan of watches as you might be able to tell from all the reviews that I have written of them! I am fortunate to work in a job where I get a lot of them either cheaply or free when I win commission related competitions. I am a particularly partial to Breo watches because I think they are comfortable and extremely good value for money. i usually go for the Roam ones because they are the cheapest and most simple but I also have one of these Zen watches which are a little more expensive and also a little more stylish, rather than the fit for purpose Roam ones.

The things that I like about the Roam watches are also present in the Zen ones, which is to say that they come in a range of nice colours. The one I have is this blue one which I would describe as a sky blue. It is really lovely and quite bright but not garishly so.

The second thing I like about it is the fact that it is made of the light rubbery material that the Roam ones are made of and it is just as comfortable. The watch is slightly bigger but not overly so and it still sits nicely and doesn't look too big even on my narrow wrists.

The watch is quite traditional looking and simple which is perfect for me because I am a woman of simple tastes. The watch is the same colour all over except for the white details on the face and it is quite striking.

The watch costs in the region of £15 and I would say that it is very good value for money and I would definitely recommend them.

31.08.2015 00:12

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Bright

Disadvantages

• "Can slip round little wrists"

Cute and Educational

We were given a set of these wrist and foot rattles by Lamaze when our little man was born almost five months ago and he has had a fair bit of use out of them since, although not so much anymore. The idea behind these toys is that they help babies to work out that their feet and hands are their own by making a noise every time they move them.

The toys are little material bracelets topped with various bug type creatures. The wrist straps are coloured in the unmistakable black and white of the Lamaze range and not by accident either, seeing as this contrast it what even tiny babies can pick out straight away. My little boy loved looking at the black and white straps and was fascinated by them, which presumably helped with the learning about his own body parts thing. The bugs that they are topped with, I love because they are bright and whimsical. Little man loved them too and he loved sticking them in his mouth even more.

The little bugs rattle just enough that he could hear them but no so much that it was too loud or irritating for him. He did seem to like them and was fascinated with them for a long while. I say was because he doesn't need them any more because he has well and truly found his hands and feet and quite happily sticks them both in his mouth freely.

The toys cost about £10 and I would say that they are worth that money and would recommend them.

• Mamas & Papas Highchair / Highchair / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.08.2015 23:54

Advantages

• "Easy To Clean"
      • "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Good High Chair

We recently bought our son his first high chair from Mamas and Papas. We don't often buy things in Mamas and Papas because they tend to be the more expensive shop for baby things and their products aren't always worth the extra money that you pay for them. Having said that, we have picked up a few bargains from there, one of which was the high chair.

We wanted something simple for our son so that he could sit up to the table with us when we were eating meals. I am not a big fan of the space age type seats that drown children in technology and unnecessary features. Fortunately my simple tastes also lead to cheapness! This one cost around £40 orginially, but we picked it up in the sale for just £20. Either way, I would say it is good value for money, but it is obviously better if you can get it cheaper.

The simplicity of it means that it is very easy to clean which is essential when you have a child who is exploring food for the first time. there are no nooks and crannies that food can get stuck into and the food tray is easily cleaned with a wipe or damp cloth.

The tray is adjustable which means that it is suitable for little man as he gets bigger but it can be closer to him now whilst he is still small. The chair itself has a nice bit of padding in the base so it is comfortable for the boy to sit whilst we are having a meal. The straps are secure enough too, but not scratchy so he is happy to sit in them.

The pattern on the chair is cute but understated and is perfect for our dining room.

Definitely recommended.

• amazon.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 23:44

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Has everything"

Disadvantages

• "Chaotic search results"

Amazon, The Home Of Everything

I am a big fan of amazon. I don't really buy anything without checking on the site to see if they have it for cheaper, which they generally do. I can easily while away hours perusing the hundreds of thousands (if not more) of things that they sell. It is mind boggling just how much they do sell, you really can get everything.

The brilliance of amazon is that it is all in one place and it is cheap. The fact that it is the forerunner of its kind means that it is the market leader and so has the most choice. This is good for grabbing a bargain, but is a blooming nightmare when you are trying to search for something specific. The ability to sort things once you have searched for something is severly lacking in my opinion, because there is just so much dross on there and the keyword match thing means that you get a lot of irrelevant stuff in your results. For example the search automatically defaults to most relevant, but when you change it to lowest price to highest price, a lot of cheaper items that have no relevence to your search come up purely because they have a similar word in the title.

Having said that, it is not enough to put me off using the site because it really is the cheapest and most comprehensive on the internet. It generally offers free delivery on lots of items, which is often a deal breaker for me.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend the site.

30.08.2015 23:28

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Unisex in my opinion"

Good Breo Watch for a Man

As you can probably tell from all of my reviews, I have an awful lot of these Breo watches. i have a bit of a thing for watches because I have to wear one for work and I go through them at an alarming rate because they get battered and bruised. This one though, I bought for my husband.

The watches are cheap and cheerful, which is one of the main reasons that I have so many of them. They are handy things to have and they are really comfortable to wear. They are made of a rubbery material that stretches easily over your hand and makes for a good fit when it is on your wrist. They are ridiculously light and you forget that you are even wearing one. This is helped by the fact that they are so narrow. There are perfect for wearing for sports and for when you are on holiday and don't want to take an expensive watch with you.

They are supposed to be water resisitant but I wouldn't recommend even taking a shower or washing up whilst wearing it because the faces have a tendency to get condensation in them if you do.

They come in a range of colours so you can match any outfit to one if you so choose. This grey one is on the pale side although I think it is still a more masculine colour. I wouldn't personally wear it.

The watch has a recommended retail price of ten pounds, but it is widely available for less than five pounds, which makes it very good value for money in my opinion and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Breo Venture White Small B-TI-VT8 / Watch / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      30.08.2015 23:19

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Small
      • "Discolours Easily"

Good Little Watch

I have a lot of Breo watches and many of them are the simple Roam ones, but I do have this white Venture one which is slightly different but has all the features of the Roam that I like. It's a pretty good watch and you can't go wrong for the price really.

The watch is made of a light rubber material and it is very comfortable. It is stretchy and so feels really light and well fitting even though it is a bangle type one that you can't adjust and tighten. It slips easily over the hand and sits nicely on your wrist. It is very narrow both in strap and on the face so it suits even the slimmest of wrists, which is one of the reasons that I am drawn to the range.

The face is round and has a white panel with second and hour hands. It is very simple which I love - i am not a fan of bling and so this suits me down to the ground. There are only marks for twelve, three, six and nine on the face, which can make it hard to tell the time at first glance. This isn't helped by the fact that it is so small - I wouldn't recommend it for folks who can't see all that well.

The watch is supposed to be water resistant, but it doesn't react well to water. The only other thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it can get discoloured so easily and it is susceptible to dirt, which is a shame because otherwise it is a really nice watch.

They are available on the internet for just a few pounds, which makes them very good value for money and I would definitely recommend it.

30.08.2015 23:09

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Water REsistant"

Simple Black Watch

I own loads of these Breo watches because they are cheap and cheerful and I got a discount on them when we sold them at work when they were the next big thing in the fashion world. They were a bit of an overnight sensation because every celebrity in the world seemed to be wearing them. The fad has passed now, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still a good thing.

They are cheap. Really cheap. They have a recommended retail price of ten pounds, but you can get them all over the internet for less than five pounds now. This is flipping good value for money whichever way you cut it and is one of the things I like most about them. I wear mine on the beach on holiday because I don't mind leaving it behind when I go into the sea and whatever - it is easy to hide.

They come in a range of colours which makes it good for colour coordinating you outfit. This one is a plain black one, which is actually the one I wear the most often because it goes with everything and it is very understated. I find that this one doesn't get as dirty as quick either - some of the lighter colours start to get marked quickly.

They come in various sizes and they just slip over the wrist so the smaller sizes are good for children. The clock on them is digital and is easy to read.

They are supposed to be water resistant but I wouldn't recommend putting them in any kind of water because they don't like it much!

Overall I would definitely recommend this watch.

30.08.2015 22:48

Advantages

• "It has got a good blue display "
      • "It gives clear music"
      • "It is very easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

JMB mini hifi

WHAT IS IT?

This is a mini hifi that my husband has put into our kitchen because my digital radio was broken. I do not know when he bought this because he had it in the loft to be stored when he was not using it.

WHAT IT DOES

This is a CD player and a radio also. There is FM and AM radio on it and both of them work very good, the CD player works good also and I am happy about that because I like to listen to music CDs instead of radio.

WHAT I THINK

I am happy with this hifi and think I might not use my digital radio again because it is nice that I can play a CD in the kitchen and not have to rely on the radio all of the time because there is not always something that I would like to listen to.

There are 2 little speakers that come with the hifi and they look like they are very small but they are as powerful as I need for them to be in that small room. The music is clear and it is loud through the speakers also.

The hifi is very easy to use and I like the bright blue display because when that is lit up it makes my kitchen look very beautiful with the way it reflects. I would not like to have this in the bedroom because the light would be too bright for me to sleep.

ANYTHING ELSE

This hifi cost about £30 and I think that is value because it works very good even though the stereo is not made by a well known company and it does not do alot comparing to other hifis that cost more.

4 Dooyoo Hearts.

• Crockpot SCV655 / Slow Cooker / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 22:29

Advantages

• "Good size"
      • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Keep warm function is useless"

Great Slow Cooker

I had wanted a slow cooker for ages and ages because I had heard about how wonderful and easy to use they are, but somehow I never quite got round to getting one. They had this Crock Pot one on offer in my local farm shop for just £20 (which was cheaper than anywhere else that I have seen it) so we decided to buy one and I am quite pleased with the purchase to be honest.

It is has three settings; high, low and keep warm. The high setting generally needs about four hours and the low about eight. I think that the high setting is actually better for if you want to reduce sauces a bit, but be careful about leaving things on this setting for too long or the contents will stick. The keep warm setting is pretty useless as the only time I used it, it didn't keep anything warm!

The crock pot is a decent size. It is supposed to be for six servings I think which is about accurate. We tend to make large portions of everything and freeze the leftovers.

You get a small recipe book with the machine and there are a few good recipes in it. I have tried lots of different things in the slow cooker and I have been happy with them all. The machine is really good and so convenient and I really like it.

I think the recommended retail price is around £30, which I still think is very good value for money but if you can get it at the reduced price that I paid for it, then it is an absolute bargain and I can highly recommend it.

30.08.2015 22:27

Advantages

• "There are no advantages "

Disadvantages

• "The sound is bad "
      • "The Freeview cannot be found"
      • "It does not work"

Bush TV and DVD combination

WHAT IS IT?

This is a TV and DVD combination model that is 22" and made by Bush.

WHY DID I BUY IT?

I bought this to go into my daughter's bedroom because I thought she was old enough to be trusted to watch TV in there alone. She has got alot of DVDs so I wanted to get her a DVD player and I thought that it would be better to buy one thing that does both of the functions.

WHAT I THINK

I do not think this is a very good TV because the picture is not good and the DVD player is hard to work also. When we first started to use the TV it took a long time to set it up and it would not find any of the channels that should have been there because it is a Freeview TV. We have not ever been able to get the Freeview channels and I do not know why.

My daughter is good with technology like most children but she can not always work this TV and that is because it does not work correct. It will not play some DVDs and I do not know why because they are not copies and even some discs that are original and for the region of DVD player will not play.

The speaker is not very good on the TV but it is ok when we play a DVD.

This is a very bad product and I wish that I had done something when it was still under guarantee because that has run out now and I have got a TV that does not work properly and that I have got to replace soon.

ANYTHING ELSE

This TV and DVD player cost about £160 and that is too much money because it does not work and I think I will never buy anything from Bush again.

1 Dooyoo Heart but it should not have any because it is so bad.

• Sharps Bedrooms / Furniture / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 22:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Not well qualified or professional designers"

Awful Experience with Shaprs

The SHARPS has become large, but its quality has gone down. They have hired designers who are not well qualified or professional. Their designer (Jarmulowicz) didn't even bother to show up on his appointment, and his manager never bothered to offer an explanation or apology.

30.08.2015 22:16

Advantages

• "lots of functions"
      • small
      • "Good phone"

Disadvantages

• "GPS a bit rubbish"

Good Little Phone

Although this is a smart phone that can and does lots of things, I think it would be stupid to overlook its main function which is to make and receive calls. In this modern world it can be easy to overlook this function, but I am pleased to report that the Galaxy S3 Mini does this admirably. It is clear and I have never experienced crackling.
      The thing that I like most about this phone is that it is so much smaller than others. I really can’t understand this desire for a mobile phone that is the size of a tablet computer .
      The screen is what they call super-AMOLED. I have to admit I had no idea what this meant, so I looked it up. Apparently it stands for active-matrix organic light-emitting diode. I still have no idea what it means. I know that it is good though. Aside from sounding super impressive, for me it means that the screen is nice and bright and whatever the picture is on there, it is nice and clear.
      I like the predictive text function on the text message section because it is very good. If you have never used predictive text before, it takes some getting used to but it is well worth persevering
      In terms of battery life the phone is a pretty good performer
      I find that the GPS function in navigation is very hit and miss in that it quite often struggles to find my location or randomly puts me somewhere else in the middle of a journey so I have ended up lost a couple of times! This is rather annoying and is probably the only thing that I really don’t like about it because the navigation function is really handy when it works.
      The phone has a five mega pixel camera which is pretty decent. It has things like auto focus which is good and the ability to take numerous shots in quick succession, which seems pointless to me. I have an issue with the auto focus because it is very slow to respond, meaning that I have often missed the opportunity by the time the camera has decided to take the picture. The flash is decent enough, although it is digital so not brilliant. You can take front facing pictures so you can get that all important selfie, although the front facing camera is a pretty naff VGA one and it takes a distinctly grainy .
      I got this phone included in a fairly cheap pay monthly contract and I think you would be hard pushed to find a contract that doesn’t offer it for free. It is £99 for a sim free phone. I think this is pretty good value either way.

• Clarins Beauty Flash Balm / Skin Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      30.08.2015 22:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

Works wonders!

I never buy premium brand cosmetics, as I don't have the purse or the vanity for them! But a friend gave me a bag full of clarity minis that she had collected over the years from all her purchases. Most of the items were too strongly scented for me, but this little tube of wonders was magic.

This beauty flash balm can be used as a primer for make up, plying a thin layer before an application, or a fave mask for extra skin rejuvenation.

I have very pale skin, and one sleepless night can have me looking like the undead, do you can imagine my troubles it my face with a 9 month old daughter, and this balm brings my face to life!

I ALWAYS use this balm before any application of make up, and on a lazy day will even busy this and forgive mascara. I have never had a tan, and I don't tan, and this peachy coloured cream buts a great amount of warmth into my skin that looks so natural and I can't get with anything else.

It also makes make up look so much smoother and events out any lines, bumps and dimples.

I could have never imagined doing it in a million years but I now buy this cream in its larger version, dull priced! This one item costs more than my make up box as a whole. But I one the premium price was actually worth it for this penny pinching cynic!. Highly recommended.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown