• Philips DCB8000 / Hifi System / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.02.2015 02:55

Advantages

• "(audio file formats such as AAC and FLAC should also at least be playable with USB"
      • ""Philips offers balanced sound and great features including digital radio "

Disadvantages

The DCB800 Its Very good for Your Enjoy Time,.......... and Price Its Ok.

"For their size, sounds like the two-piece Philips compact system - consisting of an amplifier tuner combo and CD player - amazingly balanced and spatially. While the bass is comparatively lean over, but she quite deep and rich sound nice and clean. Plus ... Earn points for the iPad-compatible docking device and reception of DAB + radio. "

"Test Winner"

"Philips offers balanced sound and great features including digital radio (DAB +) the best overall package, especially in the dock even fits an iPad. The operation is simple, even if the title display for displaying fails somewhat short, and the system responds with some delay to keystrokes. The boxes are still compact enough for the shelf, but will sound amazing adult and clean. In addition, they reach a high maximum volume. "

"The DCB800 distinguishes itself with a round, very pleasant sound, sleeker look and multifunctional dock as well as with the DAB + tuner sounded strong. It is a small, fine, not too expensive stereo solution that is doing very well in the challenging living environment. To improve would be: Formatviefalt (audio file formats such as AAC and FLAC should also at least be playable with USB), surface quality of the speaker cabinet and display (for more information, especially when using docks). ... "

• Pioneer TS Q131C / Car Speaker / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      01.02.2015 02:34

Advantages

• "Good sound"
      • "The best in price"

Disadvantages

Good Renault speakers

These are cone speakers, Pioneer that cost over £100 when I bought them but have now gone down in price to £70.  They're standard all over so will fit any precut speaker holes you have, the speakers slide into place and needed very little extra fixing in my car.

The sound is top notch with good heavy bass and strong volumes, the speakers offer crisp sound with no interference.

You can pump up the sound through these speakers without loss of clarity, voices nor instrumentals are muffled at any point and the sound just gets better with added volume.

Good all round sound is achieved in the car but before placing the speakers practice and find out the placement that suits your enjoyment best.

The mounting instructions provided with the speakers was spot on and with only a small amount of reference to it I could mount the speakers easily. If I need to move them they would be easy to take off and fit to another car but these are cheap throwaway speakers and I wouldn't go to the trouble of unplugging them for another vehicle when I could buy another set.

These aren't the best car speakers on the market but in their price range they have impressed me and I would purchase the same again. I have recommended to many friends and the ones who have purchased on my recommendation have been as pleased with the speakers as I have been so that is proof in itself of the quality and universal appeal.

• Sony CDX L 480 / Car Audio / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      01.02.2015 02:16

Advantages

• "Ease of installation"
      • "Good sound"

Disadvantages

• "National radio patchy"

Good basic car audio

Bought the Sony CDXL480 as a short term replacement stereo for my car, it was a good option but basic to the point where I wanted my new stereo long before it was ready to be installed.

The stereo looks tidy with back lighting and a clear display, the display shows information taken from the CD but this feature doesn't always have great reliability. Everything lights up as it should and how I would expect.

The stereo plays CDs and radio but there is no capability for you to plug in an mp3 player, radio stations can be programmed in and selected from the front of the console.

Connection was straightforward and all you need to do this is provided with the stereo, a credit card size remote control is supplied but it is useless.  The stereo is basic enough to be safely operated whilst driving.

All formats of CD play including copies, no CD had ever not played while I've been using the stereo.  Radio reception is usually good but can be patchy at times, local radio is often more clear than the bigger national radio stations.

Stereo has a face off for security and comes with a smart case to keep the face in.

£30 will but you this stereo now and it's a good deal, spend more on your speakers if you want banging sound and rely on this old Sony faithful for getting your music to the speakers.  My new stereo cost serious money and you can tell but I wouldn't compare that to this Sony because for £30 this is a good buy.

• Sony TA FE370/S / Amplifier / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      01.02.2015 01:56

Advantages

• "Clear sound"
      • Quality

Disadvantages

Quality kit

I've had this amp for 6 years and use it to run Sony separates. The amp produces crisp clear sound and has done from day zero.

The amp was simple to set up and connect with the other stereo components, there are adequate ports and sockets at the back of the amp and if you need more Sony branded adaptors are readily available at a small price.

Controls are simple through the remote and also when using the physical buttons on the front. Right from set up the amp has been easy to use,I have connected further parts to my stereo system since owning the amp and all have been immediately recognised. At no time has the amp malfunctioned or refused to play a format.

Like many Sony stereo products this amp was discontinued in favour of a new model. Its impossible to source brand new but is a model available in second hand music stores.

It works with non Sony equipment so if you're discovering your brand it's a good starter amp that is also suitable for those with a more serious home set up.

The remote control that is supplied with the amp also controls the rest of my separates bit not all functions are available so my preference is to use the individual remote controls.

The amp has a solid build and feels like a quality piece of kit, I expect to have many more years use from it and am sure it won't fail me even after 6 years of ownership.

01.02.2015 00:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

A gentle scent suitable for everyday use, sadly discontinued.

A very light and summery honeysuckle scent with a clean, almost 'soapy' drydown. Quite pleasant. Shame it's been discontinued.

• Andrex Washlets / Baby Care / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      31.01.2015 23:42

Advantages

• "Thick and soft"
      • "Flushable "
      • "Effective "

Disadvantages

• "Scented "

An effective washlet for personal hygiene

I was recommended Andrex Washlets by a friend as way to feel extra fresh during the time of my periods when I was going through a series of heavy ones. they are flushable moist toilet tissues, which are intended to be used alongside regular tissue. I paid one pound for a pack of 42 sheets in Poundland.

These are a bit like a wet wipe for adults and normally I don't think I would have thought to picked them up, as something not really necessary. But I have actually found them both effective and useful. The packet is resealable and keeps the contents perfectly fresh and ready to use. I would have found a small pocket pack useful for carrying with me as the full size was a bit bulky to carry discretely in my smaller handbags, although it is no worse than a pack of wet wipes. The wipes are easy to pull out and re-seal on the plus side. Each one is the size of a couple sheets of regular toilet paper, and comfortably thick and soft. They are quite strong and I feel confident they won't fall apart in use.

The wipes are moist rather than wet but they are damp enough to clean very effectively. They don't feel sticky at all. I didn't realise these were scented and in general I avoid using such products in intimate areas because I feel they may not necessarily be healthy in the long term. I may be wrong about that,and I understand many will feel the light clean scent adds to a feeling of freshness. I like the fact the scent is subtle and not intrusive anyway.

The wipes are biodegradable and flushable but as they feel thick, I worried they would block the loo, even if not having to find somewhere to dispose of used wipes is convenient. Well I have managed to flush one at a time without trouble but on the rare occasion I felt I should use two, I prefered to bag and bin them, just in case. They may biodegrade but I wonder how long that takes.

I have not suffered any irritation from using these, and they are dermatologicaly tested. I have a preference for unscented products so I will look for an alternative but I would recommend these if you don't mind a light scent. They are convenient and an easy way to feel extra clean.

• Pukka Licorice and Cinnamon / Tea / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.01.2015 22:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Power to the world! Spice up your life....

Crikey this was something else, dark, rich and strong with a kick, this tea was well worth trying.

I love aniseed and liquorice products, sick I know, but someone dared to add cinnamon and I just knew it would work. Why had I not thought of it!
      Hailing from the 'TASTE ALIVE' range, this will liven up your taste buds!

When you open the box the first thing that hits you is the scent, it is very powerful and very welcoming.
      The scent is quite balanced which gives you a heads up that the blends will be as well.
      Brewing this lightly first its the liquorice that comes through first but when you drink it and wait a few moments the kick of cinnamon is wonderfully warming and really compliments the flavour of the tea.

This is great for those who are struggling with sore throats especially the liquorice but the cinnamon is great for warning off the lingering cold and building your immune up, and quite possibly clearing that head cold!
      If the cinnamon adds the spice and it sure does, the liquorice balances the whole taste with a lovely sweet taste. I'm not one for sickly sweet teas but this is only a hint and I found that is worked really well.
      I tend to get these around winter time, before and during as it does help colds and flu.
      This is great for anyone who is
      VEGAN
      VEGETARIAN
      SOYA FREE
      DAIRY FREE
      WHEAT FREE
      KOSHER
      GLUTEN FREE
      Samples are available to buy individually on E-Bay if you don't want a whole box.
      Although with some of these herbal teas I tend to brew lightly this I brewed strong and it still was a lovely product not bitter at all or too overpowering.

• Pukka Detox Tea / Tea / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      31.01.2015 22:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

I'm on the fence with this one...

Detoxing can be a boring and a strain on the old taste buds and this I'm afraid was a blend that I found predictable and the same as most detox teas.

I'm back to liking the PUKKA TEAS again after they have rebooted their brand and flavours, they seem to have really turned a corner but I had noticed this has not changed at all. Maybe it was because its one of their classics? I'm not convinced it's the results.

The blend here is:
      ANISEED[ Love this flavour!]
      FENNEL
      CARDAMOM

This is a blend I like apart from the cardamom, the cardamom is part of the ginger family and should help aid burning fat and breakdown fatty acids, it has a potent taste that I find offputting and avoid it in my food, but for the love of detox especially with all those gorgeous Lindt bars, I think no pain no gain but I can't seem to enjoy this.
      I love aniseed and fennel. The fennel helps soothe the process of the breakdown of acid within the stomach and has a lovely soothing taste, I actually found this to be more soothing than detoxing.
      The aniseed is great for aiding digestion, which is why this is best to drink before meals such as lunch and dinner to break down the food better.
      Overall I thought this was good but not the best detox tea I've tried, the results I felt didn't help even drinking it at a stronger strength than recommended I pursue this for a month before going back to green tea, with I did and do see a difference with.
      For those who struggle with green tea this might be good for you. x

31.01.2015 22:09

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
      • "Nice lid on bottle"
      • "Nice scent"

Disadvantages

Another 5 star man's scent from Hugo Boss!

We have now come to the end of my reviews of my boyfriend's fragrance collection, as while there are a few I haven't reviewed they are not in dooyoo's catalogue. So perhaps I will do some more at a later date,

Having reviewed the Hugo Boss fragrance called "Boss" I am not reviewing the one called "Hugo" (also very imaginatively named".

This comes in a plain looking bottle with a red label on it, and quite a special lid with a little strap on it. It reminds me a bit of a hip flask. Unscrew the lid and there is a nozzle to dispense the fragrance. We have the 100ml bottle which retails at £40.25 on Amazon which is a reasonable price.

This is another quite masculine fragrance - they also do a version for women if you want to have matching fragrances. However, although I love the smell of Hugo Boss fragrances on men I will stick to my own brands of perfume for now.

This is described on Amazon as 'a blend of fig-enhanced zesty citrus, mandarin, lemon, orange and grapefruit' and 'Naturally warmed with notes of massoia wood producing this subtle scent'. It's funny how all these descriptions of fragrances seem to roll into one. At the end of the day it's very difficult to describe a smell, and many of these fragrances seem to be very similar with their inclusion of citrus fruits and woods.

This is a good everyday aftershave for a man, and the smell lasts well.

5 out of 5 stars from me.

31.01.2015 22:02

Advantages

• fast
      • convenient
      • "good colour pay off"

Disadvantages

• "small amount of product"

Amazing eyeliner. I love it

Avon Always On Point Eyeliner

I purchased this in black. I wear eyeliner every day on my upper lash line, and sometimes when I am in a rush, I don't have the patience or the steady hand for a liquid liner or even a gel eye liner. This eye liner is perfect for those days. I keep one in my gym bag as it is the most convenient eye liner I have found to date to get a winger eye liner look. And if you get a little big shaky, and make a mess, because this is a creamy retractable pencil, it can be smudged out with a brush or your fingers for either a smokey eye liner look, or a soft and subtle eye liner look.

The colour pay off is also amazing. This is a pretty dark black, and I don't ever have to go over it to make it darker. The colour normally lasts all day. This eye liner is not waterproof though, so I don't use this in my water line or as a tight line. And sometimes when I do get watery eyes, my wings on the liner can fade a bit. But for me that's not a massive deal breaker for me, as because this liner is perfect for touch ups too when you are out and about. There is no need for a sharpener - winner!! I know I hate having to find a sharpener.

This eyeliner is by far my most used product at the moment. My only issue with this is that it doesn't contain a lot of product compared to other eye liner pencils, so for me it only lasts a few weeks. For that reason, I wouldn't ever pay full price for this... But then Avon always have promotions, so it's pretty hard to ever pay for something at full price.

I would highly recommend this eyeliner to everyone. Especially those who would like to make their make up routine that little bit faster.

• Pukka Relax / Tea / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      31.01.2015 21:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Marshmellow tea anyone?

I saw the word Marshmellow and thought' What with tea?' in the basket it went, love strange combinations!

This is a blend from PUKKA TEAS range of 'FEEL ALIVE' combining
      CHAMOMILE
      MARSHMELLOW ROOT
      FENNEL

To create a tea to curl up and relax with and I must say I was very surprised at how relaxing the scent and tea was overall.
      This is not strictly speaking Marshmellow tea, but this is the root of the herb of the plant called Marshmellow it is not sweet or used in sweets but for remedies such as sore throats, which I found to be true as I was recommend this by an assistant when asked for something for my sore throat, I really want to stay away from pills and this was great. For sore throats, liquorice is still my favourite but this is much more soothing and enjoyable to drink.
      Blended with Chamomile, which already had my trust I found this three blended together was delightful to drink, not too strong or sweet and the fennel was a bit of a lift in the blend with a sweet taste at the end that left a lovely hint of the tea at the back of your throat.

These teas are great for anyone that may need tea to be:
      VEGAN
      DAIRY FREE
      VEGETARIAN
      WHEAT FREE
      GLUTEN FREE
      KOSHER
      NUT FREE

The benefits are best when drunk on a regular basis. If you are bored of plain Chamomile I highly recommend a switch to this blend.

31.01.2015 21:55

Advantages

• "Nice scent"
      • "Good value"

A 5 star scent for men!

My boyfriend has several Hugo Boss fragrances in his extensive collection which lives on the top of our bathroom cabinet. This one is imaginatively called 'Boss'. We have the 50ml bottle. A 100ml bottle costs £36.39 on Amazon (a 50ml bottle like ours is £23.27), so it is a pretty good price for a decent fragrance.

The bottle is a simple glass bottle with the word boss on the side raised up. The lid is a matt silver colour. Unscrew it and there is a nozzle to apply the fragrance with.

This is a very masculine scent, so not one which I'll be borrowing from my boyfriend. This is one which can be worn at any time of day, or at any time of the year.

According to Amazon "The fragrance contains fresh top notes include both apple and citrus fruits. In the heart of the fragrance lie the sweeter and warmer notes of geranium, cinnamon and cloves. At the smouldering base lie the notes of dry spicy scents of sandalwood, vetiver, cedarwood, olivewood, amber and musk create a distinctly masculine dry down. Be yourself, yet aspire to be a Boss man." - Somewhere else I've seen it described as oriental. Personally I think most of these descriptions are a load of tawddle. It's a nice fresh scent, and is clearly a very popular one. It's probably best for people to try fragrances before they buy them anyway to see if it suits them. This is one that I think suits my boyfriend, and the fragrance lasts well.

5 out of 5 stars from me.

31.01.2015 21:41

Advantages

• "Works Quickly"
      • Reydrates

Disadvantages

• "Own brands are cheaper. "

Quickly Rehydrates - Including Those with Tummy Bug or Hangover

DEHYDRATION

The body is made up mostly of water, over two-thirds, and if we lose a lot of it, we can quickly become ill, as it upsets the balance of salts and sugars in us.

This in turn affects the way that the body works, causing some nasty symptoms, like dizziness, headache, and digestive problems.

REASONS FOR DEHYDRATION

The causes of dehydration include:-

A tummy bug,
      Hot weather,
      Extreme exercise,
      Poor diet, or
      Too much alcohol.

The young, old and those with long-term illnesses, like diabetes, are most at risk.

TREATMENT

I have found that the easiest way to treat the early stages of dehydration, to prevent it from becoming severe, is to take rehydration salts, like Dioralyte.

The Blackcurrent flavour is the most pleasant in my opinion.

The Dioralyte schachet contains a powder which should be mixed with water. If the whole 200 ml is unlikely to be drunk within the hour, store the rest in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

It is best to drink the whole dose as soon as possible, but if feeling sick try to drink small sips to help keep it down.

Each sachet contains Sodium Chloride 0.47g, Potassium Chloride 0.30g, Glucose 3.56g, Disodium Hydrogen Citrate 0.53g, Silicon Dioxide, Saccharin Sodium, Blackcurrant Flavour.

OWN BRAND

There are a lot of own brand similar alternatives to Dioralyte, which are cheaper but just as good, including those sold in supermarkets, Superdrug and Boots.

Full price for Dioralyte seems to be about £3.80, but you save a lot buying it either on special offer, or opting for own brands which can be half that price.

For example Superdrug are selling their Blackcurrant Flavour Rehydration Treatment for £2.85 but they are also on Buy 1 Get One Half Price offer.

RECOMMENDATION

This is a great treatment for replacing lost fluid and body salts, associated with de-hydration.

However, look for own brands of Rehydration Treatment and you could feel just as well, without spending as much.

• Pukka Chamomile and Vanilla / Tea / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      31.01.2015 21:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

A little on the sweet side.

Okay, I love combinations of flavours in tea that I might never have thought would go together and always ready to give it a try.

This part of their 'TASTE ALIVE' range and this is weirdly meant to be SOOTHING.

I purchased this to aid sleep more than anything and hoped the vanilla would not be too strong.
      This I would say is subtle, depending of course, how you brew it. I brewed this for the recommended time of 3-4 minutes and that actually for me was the perfect time because the strength and taste developed well. I love my tea really strong, but tend to pull back when it comes to herbal tea.

The overall taste I would say was disappointing and no fun at all. The Chamomile, personally, and the vanilla clashed too much.
      For me, the chamomile is sweet anyway with a dullish hint at the end with helps the soothing aspect but the vanilla sweetened it way too much and I found it to be sickly.
      I tried brewing this for 2-3 minutes and I found you couldn't taste the chamomile, but only the vanilla which for me was the dominating ingredient.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves sweet tea, thankfully I have a friend who adores this sweet taste so it didn't go to waste. I've recently notice they have now added Honey to the mix, why? I have no idea, but I'm sorry to say this blend was not a hit but a miss.
      On E-bay you can purchase individual sachets and I say try before you buy. x

• Nike Sports Water Bottle / Fitness / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      31.01.2015 21:34

Advantages

• squeezy
      • affordable
      • "lasts well"
      • "high volume"

Disadvantages

• "not easy to clean"

Good quality bottle, worth the money

I've had the Nike Sports Water Bottle twice now.

I bought one about 4/5 years ago, and it was my trusty gym water bottle. Light to pack, held a good amount of water, no fussing with a lid. It looked good, it was easy to hold thanks to the black rubber on the sides making it more grippy, and it functioned well. Unfortunately, as is often the case with these type of bottles, it got clogged at the lid and started to smell strange. No amount of washing or soaking could get rid of it. I tried so many different things, but nothing seemed to work.

I ended up replacing it after about 6 months. I bought another at the start of last year, and while I managed to avoid the clogging and strange smell this time round, thanks to soaking the bottle weekly in a baking soda and water mix, I have had to replace the bottle again after 12 months.

I spent no more than £5 on both occasions, buying the both from Sports Direct. I feel like having the bottle for one year has been pretty good value. But I made the decision this year to buy a different bottle - a fruit infusion water bottle, which I am enjoying using a lot more.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown