28.11.2014 01:50

Advantages

• "help with spots "

Disadvantages

• cost

A really nice spot controlling refreshing wipe

As someone with spot prone skin I love my Witch hazel products as such I often have some Witch products on the go, these are one of my favourite wipes.

The Product ....

The product is a pack of facial cleansing and toning wipes designed for use on spot prone or combination skin. The wipes have witch hazel on them which helps calm spots and has an antibacterial property that stops future breakouts.

The Packing ....

These come in a very basic green package with the witch logo in the middle, there is a small clear plastic section that can be pulled back to reveal a hole to remove a wipe and then pressed back into place to reseal the packet.

To Use ....

You simply open the pack, remove one wipe and use it to remove makeup and dirty from the skin, dispose of the wipe once used and repeat until they come away from the skin clean.

Cost ....

There are 25 wipes in a packet and they cost around £2.99 a pack

Thoughts ....

I find these really good on my oily skin but they maybe a little harsh on dry skin. They have a really refreshing scent that I really like and leave my skin feeling really refreshed. I do find that they help with breakouts for me but I do find that a pack of 25 barely lasts me 2 weeks so is an expensive item to use all the time.

One thing I do like is the thickness of the wipe, they are not too thick but enough that you can give a decent rub to get off hard to remove make up.

Summary ....

A really good product, more suited to oily or combination problem skin. A little costly but removes makeup well and does help control spots.

• MAC Eyeshadow / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.11.2014 01:27

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good eye shadow but costly for what it is

I have bought several of these over the years mainly when I have been matching up with a lipstick if I am honest because I find them a little expensive.

The product ....

The product is a solid eye shadow in its own little plastic container made by Mac cosmetics.

The Packing ....

The product comes in a small black plastic pot that has a clear lid that is hinged at the back. The lid of the product is clear which is handy for seeing the exact colour of the eye shadow inside the pot.

The eye shadow is in a solid circle disc inside the pot.

What I like/dislike ....

The pigment of the product is really nice and it blends really nicely on my skin lasting a good 8-10 hours without creasing.

I find these eyeshadows stop coming out of the pot after a bit of use, however I discovered if I scratched the surface off then they were ok again.

I dislike that these pots come with no applicator which is a let down for the cost.

Cost ....

These eye shadow singles cost around £11 per eye shadow which is a lot of money but I have used some of mine for a good few years and there is still not much gone from them so they do get a good amount for the cost.

Summary ....

I like these for their staying power, the fact I can match my lipsticks and liners but I do find them costly for what they are and I really would prefer if they changed the pots to allow for a mirror and applicator. Other than that a nice product that lasts a long time.

28.11.2014 00:53

Advantages

• Everything

Disadvantages

• "Not all that moisturising"

Keeps me smelling sweet all day!

Just recently, on the run up to Christmas I have been trying to use up all of my half used up (and the likes!) of bath and body products and this I have been using all week to simply finish it off in the hope that I shall be getting some lovely goodies off Santa!

This usually costs £4.00 for a 250ml bottle, I bought mine when on holiday a while back as I forgot to take my shower gel with me and if my memory serves me correctly I bought it for £2.00 on offer so if interested in purchasing this do keep your eyes peeled for it when it is on offer!

The bottle this comes in is see through plastic so you can see the lovely rich red coloured shower gel in it and it has a flip top lid to the top of it concealing a small hole and on the bottle we are told what it is and who it is by and things like the size and ingredients used in it plus contact details for the manufacturer are clearly listed. Its a nice looking and high quality looking bottle I think.

Using It:

This is designed to be used as a bath or shower gel. I have noticed other people in their reviews have said that they use it as a bubble bath and this is not that without using loads of the product, it really doesn't make a lot of bubbles so when The Body Shop say to use it in the bath they obviously mean use it 'in' the bath.

I find that a little of this red, transparent gel goes a very long way indeed. It smells wonderfully rich and sweet and like naturally of strawberries and not fake or chemically so.

It lathers up nicely, releases its scent and feels soft and gentle in use. I can easily shave my bits and bobs with this is and it rinses off easily.

My skin is left feeling really fresh, I smell nice all day and it doesn't agitate my sensitive skin at all.

I wouldn't say that this product is all that moisturising however it doesn't dry my skin out either and all in all I really like this one and feel that even at its full retail price its worth if you like strawberries!

Only available from The Body Shop.

• The Body Shop Strawberry Body Butter / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.11.2014 00:33

Advantages

• Everything

Disadvantages

• "Pricey if not bought on offer"

Butter up in strawberries!

Not very often do I shop in The Body Shop. I find the place rather expensive, in fact very over priced on a lot items however I do like the sales that they have on from time to time. I bought a tub of this some time ago on offer for a fiver from £13.00, loving a bargain I found it hard to resist lol.

The tub this comes in is plastic with a twist on/off lid to the top of it and on the tub we are clearly told what it is and who it is by, the size is stated (200ml) as are contact details for The Body Shop, its a nice looking tube this and its nice and robust.

Using It:

This 'butter' is light pink in colour and quite thick. A little of it goes a very long way indeed and its smells richly and distinctly of strawberries and although it smells of strawberries it isn't harsh or too strong, its nicely sweetened however after applying it I do have to wait a while before popping my deodorant and perfume and so on, on or the scents mingle with it and I don't appreciate that at all.

This is suitable for normal to dry skin and I find this to absorb into my skin quite quickly leaving no residue of grease or anything on my skin enabling me to dress soon after applying it and I can apply this straight after shaving without my skin getting sore.

My skin is left feeling really supple and soft after using this and using it on a regular basis has sorted out little dry skin issues I did have.

Basically this is a very nice good quality body butter. At £13.00 a tub that does seem steep however it is highly moisturising and highly effective and in my opinion worth it particularly if you have very dry skin. I like the scent though prefer to use this before bed rather than daytime and a little of this goes a long way.

Like I stated earlier I have had my tub for ages now and only just finished it and that was with very regular use so my advice....keep your eyes open for it on offer!

Only available from The Body Shop.

This review is also posted on Ciao under this same username.

28.11.2014 00:26

Advantages

• "in love with this"

Disadvantages

• none

Simply THE Best! No hesitation there.

I had been waiting for ages to try this foundation primer from Laura Mercier, the main reason being that I had heard so many people talking about the exact product online I began to think that I was missing out on something.

I found a beauty box with this product in it and immediately subscribed. I have never looked back since starting with My Little Box! This product should have cost around thirty pounds just for the 30 ml product that was in it but the whole box was just £15. I wish I'd bought more now I have tried it, it is the best ever primer!

What's so good about it?

The primer itself is a peachy colour and it is ultra hydrating and it really just leaves your skin glowing. I could leave the house just wearing this alone, it is so good.

My thoughts
      This sets your skin up for success. It reduces the amount of foundation you need to use and fills in any creases or lines or wrinkles so that you can just gloss over them with your foundation. The peachy colour also evens out uneven skin tone so there's another win. It is worth spending a bit more on the base when it sets your skin up so perfectly.

Final word
      I really can see and understand why people are raving about this product. I am wanting mine to last as long as possible (putting off an eventual purchase I am sure!) so I only use mine for special days and occasions!

28.11.2014 00:18

Advantages

• "gloss finish"
      • "holds style"

Disadvantages

• none

Hairspray I could not live without

When I won a prize from the Mail on Sunday You Magazine, I took a trip to the London training centre for Goldwell hair salons and had an amazing straightening hair treatment as did my friend. We left with a hand picked goody bag to suit our respective hair styles.

This hairspray, the magic finish number three gloss style sign brilliance hairspray (what a name!) was included in a massive 300ml bottle and it was one of the most handy products in the bag as I always use a little hair spray to finish my hair style off when I put it up. I often wear the front bit up in as style at work to keep hair out of my eyes.

The spray from this can is fine and it does lightly hold my hair without making it go rock hard.

Price wise, this hair spray is not as expensive as you'd think despite the brand. You can pick up smaller cans from five pounds on Amazon.

I would look to buy this hairspray again in the future as I have enjoyed using it and continue to enjoy it as I still have over half a can left! It is low in fragrance too which is important as I hate to smell like hairspray when I waft past people especially if that is stronger and more lingering than my expensive perfumes! I think this brand and particular hair spray from their extensive range is excellent and would highly recommend it to you.

28.11.2014 00:10

Advantages

• "leave in treatment"

Disadvantages

• price

Liquid silk for hair.

When I visited the central London Goldwell training centre I had won a treatment for myself and a friend and we left with our shiny straight hair and a bag full of hand selected goodies that were suitable for our hair types.

This leave in cream treatment the kerasilk rich keratin care silk fluid is a smoothing treatment for unmanageable and damaged hair. No one likes to think of their hair being described in this manner (surely it can't be that bad?) but sadly I think it is true of my over treated hair!

In use, I just pump out two to three times from this bottle to get an acorn sized blob of cream and I work this in to my hair when it is towel dried although you can use it on dry hair too.

The beauty of this cream is that it does not weigh down hair and it is nice and smoothing on my hair so the silk fluid name is a great name for it.

This product is not cheap but it goes a long way. Expect to pay around £15 for a 100 ml bottle.

I forgot I had this for a while, but used it since the summer and there is over half left so it does last a long time and only a tiny amount is used each time.

This does seem like an extra step to hair care and I usually only use one product in my hair when blow drying so I just don't have time to use so much each time so I will probably not buy this again in the future.

• Toni & Guy Classic Shine Gloss Serum / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.11.2014 00:03

Advantages

• "simple to use"

Disadvantages

• none

Good price for a high quality serum.

Glossy Box the monthly beauty box which sends a box of surprises through your door each month is a great way to make new beauty discoveries without breaking the bank. I am most unadventurous with my hair and really need to start grooming it a bit more as I tend to give it a quick brush before dashing out the door and a wash and condition every other day. That's about it.

I have had serums for my hair before but sometimes I felt they were making my hair greasy before its time.

With the Toni and guy hair serum you get the right balance and I just apply it to the lengths and ends to get a nice shine on the hair. It doesn't make the hair at all greasy and if anything it gives my hair a more straight appearance and helps it to not get so knotty during the day. I will never work out how my hair gets so knotty underneath but sometimes it gets in to a right state, I bet I have some really short hair from that area!

I really rate this serum product and it can be picked up from Boots for just £7 which is a good price I think. I used cheaper serums and they just did not provide the same results.

The key to using this product successfully is to use it carefully and sparingly. I have two bottles that are sized 30ml and I think it will be lasting me for ages.

• KMS HairPlay Playable Texture / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 23:57

Advantages

• "smells great"
      • "adds texture to hair"

Disadvantages

• "does not feel nice in my hair!"

Smells nice but really not sure what to do with it!

I received the KMS hair ply in one of my beauty boxes, it was a 75 ml bottle and I was pleased to have a go with it but I was quite mystified as to what it was and how to use it.

You can use it in wet hair whilst styling or in dry hair to build body and style so I tried it both ways and I am still not convinced by this product.

First of all a positive in that it smells lovely and fruity and when it goes in it feels nice and cold on your hair.

Down sides are that it feels weird in my hair, not like a dry shampoo but more like it has coated the hair in something strange I can still pull my fingers through it though so it is not really like a hair spray too.

I think this would work well on hair that needs volume or hair that is being put up so it has a bit of a grip to it and is not slippy and soft and unwilling to be gripped and stay in place. It's a lot better than backcombing and hairspraying it to breaking point.

I am really half and half as to whether I like this or not. It is not an every day product for me but I can see it being useful when I do want to style my long hair in to an up do. It's also a plus that I like the smell of this product.

• L'Oreal Mythic Oil Nourishing Oil / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 23:51

Advantages

• "oil nourishes hair"

Disadvantages

• "made my hair greasy"

Mythic oil is still a bit of a mystery to me.

I thought I had struck gold when I spotted this product in my Glossybox a few months ago. Double lucky as I got sent the box twice by mistake and was the proud owner of two bottles.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to do anything good for my hair, just turned it in to an oily mess. I tried it again using less the next time (virtually none at all the second time) and I got better results and no oily hair!

When I use this mythic oil I spray it in to towel dried hair and it really seems to help reduce the amount of drying time I have to spend on my hair.

I am not one for using a lot of products on my hair, I like to leave it but I know I do need to use the odd conditioning treatment on the lengths and ends of my hair to keep it looking and feeling healthy and I feel this oil definitely contributes to that.

Now I know to use less I am persevering with this product as a lot of people online are raving about it and they must know something I don't about the mythic oil!

Price wise this retails at £12 so to get a full sized product (actually two) in my glossy box was a huge win as the whole box costs just £10 plus P&P so it is nice that one product outnumbered the box cost straight away. I have enough of this to last me over a year so will not rush out to rebuy but will certainly continue to use.

27.11.2014 23:43

Advantages

• "multi tasking "

Disadvantages

• price

Best product for my hair!

I was so lucky earlier in the year I won a £300 hair treatment in the centre of London for me and a friend, it was a straightening treatment and included a generous goody bag when we finished so we could keep up the good work the Goldwell salon had started.

One of the products in the goody bag was the sleek perfection style thermal spray serum. I figured that I use a serum on my face so why not in the hair too!?

It comes in a lovely expensive looking silver metal spray top container and the spray is fine and minimal and has not varied in the months I have been using it. I love that it is a thermal protector as well as a styling product and a serum.

Price wise obviously I did get this free but there is a sticker on the tin that says £8.70 which is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I only use this when I blow dry my hair but it really does smell amazingly like expensive hair salons!

I can;t believe how long this product has lasted. It has been used on every wash and blow dry since the summer and I still have enough in there for maybe another dozen blow drys so I think this is seriously good value for money and definitely a product that I will look to buy again as it really does seem to suit my hair and gets it gloriously straight with no flyaway bits.

27.11.2014 23:39

Advantages

• "Last a good while"
      • " not waterful"
      • Mist
      • "Beautiful scent"

Disadvantages

Sweet dreams :)

This is a must have product.

An absolute joy to use and works incredibly well.
      I would happily say this is the first product or range I would turn to and always get, if I can't get this I'll try something else, but only as a last resort.

This is from Champneys sleep range aimed to help you unwind and sleep well if you can't drop off easily.

The product has three main oils.
      LAVENDER
      PATCHOULI
      ALMOND OIL

And boy has this company got it right.The Champney brand claims it uses this in their own therapy rooms with customers at the SPA centre so essentially you get that SPA feel at home, for a fraction of the price.

This is a long slim product in a light purple coloured bottle retailing at £8 for 30ml.
      This is currently out of stock on their website and in Boots where it is normally stocked when I asked around if they were still doing this product and the 'relaxing/ sleep ' range there were no replies that this would be discontinued.

USES AND EFFECTS
      ALMOND OIL
      This is used widely and is very popular with Aromatherapists.
      Lavender and Patchouli are strong scented oils also almond oil first of all is used to bring balance between the two scents.
      Almond oil is known to help soothe the brain, relax the nerves, but it can strengthen your muscles to aid a good sleep.
      As you spray this product on your pillow or any bedding that may come in contact with your skin, it is essential that your skin doesn't react any this is a great product to be kind to your skin.

LAVENDER
      Is known to be very good to aid sleep however only mild sleep not a deep sleep.
      Again this works to relax and soothe your tired muscles.

PATCHOULI
      I had no idea until I research the oils before I bought this product [I didn't want it to affect my skin] and this also is a great product to help you sleep.
      The aroma is known to have sedative effects, it won't knock you out and its not dangerous but it a natural oil to help relax you.

Together these oils have produced a calming and effective product.

HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?
      It can depend, it instructs only a few sprays and I tend to stick to that, I didn't want the scent to be sickly and I find it is perfect just a gentle scent to help you unwind.

MATERIALS
      Obviously using oils you'd think there would be a lot of patches of oil on your pillow but I didn't find it left a horrible oil patch at all. I change my pillow cases every couple of days and definitely if I'm using oils such as this.

On the skin,[ mine is sensitive] it didn't do a thing. I was so relieved.
      This product is sometimes sold in a range or a deep purple giftbox so you can get an eye mask and cream as well as a shower gel, altogether it is blissful.
      Highly recommended.

• Jurlique Skin Balancing Face Oil / Skin Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 23:37

Advantages

• "high quality"

Disadvantages

• price

A nice skin treatment.

I was sent a bottle of the Jurlique skin balancing face oil to test and review and when I looked it up I was surprised to find the price for this product at £40. I had high hopes yet reservations about putting oil on to my face.

What is it?
      The face oil is a treatment, rich in a blend of plant oils and marine and botanical extracts to help address visible signs of ageing and uneven skin tones. It also helps to protect your skin against environmental aggressors whatever they may be but I am guessing at pollution.

In use
      You get a brown glass jar with a dropper which makes it feel quite an experimental and chemistry led product with a lean towards pharmacy. You are told to use two to three drops on your fingertips and gently press on face, neck and chest until it is absorbed. It can be used morning or night but I find it better at night time to let it work its magic whilst I am sleeping!

My thought
      I liked this and found it a great treatment for skin but it was hard to keep it up as a daily treatment as it is another step in the skincare routine but last thing at night it was nice to treat my skin.

Final word
      I am not sure I would buy this again as it is pretty expensive but the oil turned out to be not a problem on my skin and it was nicely moisturising without being oily.

27.11.2014 23:28

Advantages

• "smells divine"

Disadvantages

• price

First choice for me

I am a bit of a beauty box addict although I have calmed down a lot lately with buying and subscribing to these, there is one that I continue to purchase and that is the My Little Box which comes from France filled with lovely stuff.

In the October box we were treated to a lovely designer scarf from DVF (DIane Von Fustenberg) and with that came the usual little bag with three beauty products within.

One of the beauty products was the Loccitane shea vanilla habnd cream. It was only a small sized tube but I still appreciated it knowing the quality of Loccitane hand creams to be very high standard.

The ingredients are absolutely key in this product, with 20% shea and a vanilla bouquet you have the scent and the performance.

The hand cream smells quite strongly at first but it does soon fade to a feint aroma. The moisturising properties are immense though and the shea butter is such a hard working ingredient.

A teeny tic tac sized blob of this hand cream is enough to do both hands and it feels so lovely on the skin. On the days where a lot of washing up and baking has taken place followed by plasticine modelling it is a treat to use this product and feel you are putting all the right ingredients on your skin.

I paid £15 for the box and got this product with lots of other lovely things but a tube of Loccitane typically costs around £10 but that is a full size that should last weeks. It'd be my first choice every time as I love using it over the cheaper brands!

27.11.2014 23:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "No effect "
      • "A bit to much heat "

Steer clear

This is a product from Champneys that I didn't expect them to do so I was surprised when I received this free after placing a large order with them.

I am a fan of Champneys, but this product didn't work at all and for a SPA company, for me, it didn't fit their image very well for me as a long time customer.

WHAT IS THIS?
      The product says it provides multiple benefits from this lip plumping product such as:

Super Moisturising
      Super Conditioning
      Warms up your lip [?]
      Hyaluronic filling spheres [again?]to plump
      Maxi lip- natural peptides
      Gloss effect

The company provides a more detailed list on the website- CHAMPNEYS.COM, If you're worried about chemical than you should read this. I'm not going to pretend I know what they all are but the list looks a bit too long and precarious for my liking.

WHAT DOES THE PRODUCT DO?
      You apply this product as you would a lip colour. The product is styled as a pen, white with a lid, when you remove the lid there is a whitish brush very soft and you twist the bottom of the 'pen' to release the gel, which is clear.
      It glides across your top and bottom lip softly and applies the products very well.
      You don't need much only a coating.

THE EFFECT.
      Hold on to your hats.
      I applied a thin layer to my top and bottom lip and waited for a few minutes for me it took ten minutes for anything to happen and that's when the heat kicked in.
      It wasn't boiling or painful, but the effect was unusually hot for about twenty minutes! I would say it was unpleasant and I think the heat applied by this product gave the plump effect.

After the ten minutes I could see the gloss on my lips and it didn't sink in, it just sat on the surface of my lips.
      Eventually, the heat died down and so did my lips, nothing, it did nothing. On one hand I was ever so grateful because the heat was not a comforting experience I was slightly worried on the other, this retails at £8 and what a terrible price for a load of nothing, thankfully this was a freebie.

The product claims to be super moisturising, no it wasn't my lips felt very sore afterwards and dry, very dry that I had to apply cold water and then vaseline.
      I thought maybe I had, had a reaction, but two of my friends tried and exactly the same thing happened, they weren't happy with me for asking!

It also claims to be super conditioning, but the next day like I mentioned dry I had no issues with dry lip until I used this.
      Apart from the heat you can feel the peptides working as in other lip plumping products, so I knew that part was working however again after the heat had died down there was nothing to show for the discomfort.

I would recommend you find a lip plumping gloss from another company, one with more stars.:(

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown