• Boots Natural Solo Eyeshadow / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.11.2014 02:53

Advantages

• "nice pigment"

Disadvantages

• "no applicator "

Really nice even colour, good price!

I do not use these as my main eye shadow but I do own many of them from times when I have an outfit that I need a basic eye shadow to match an outfit in a colour that I do not wear a lot and do not want to pay much for. These are my first choice for a single colour.

The product ....

The products are a single eye shadow colour in a small pot, I really like the size of these, they are small enough to fit in your handbag easily and not too heavy but not too small they go missing easily.

These have a really good pigment to them and go onto the eye nicely only needing a single coat although for a stronger colour you can apply more layers.

These eyeshadows last a good 8-10 hours on me without any problems and I have never had them crease.

I think the biggest issue for me is that these eye shadows do not come with their own applicator so it means carrying a separate one.

The packing ....

The product comes in a small round plastic container that has a clear plastic lid, this is good because you can see the colour of the eyeshadow though the lid so its easy to judge if its the right colour you are looking for. The lid is a basic twist lid, on top of it is the Natural Collection text alone with the white daisy image.

Cost ....

These are really cheap at £1.99 a colour.

Summary ....

I really like these eye shadows, while they are cheap they look perfect, last for a good amount of time and do not crease which is always important for me when it comes to eye shadows. They are not the longest lasting eye shadows and I hate that they do not have their own applicator but for the cost they are outstanding.

• Lush Eyes Right / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.11.2014 02:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

• runs
      • thin

Odd mascara that did not really work for me!

I bought one of these last year, I started using a lot of the Lush make up range and thought I would give the mascara a go, the lady in the store said that it did not clump and moisturised my lashes rather than drying them out like most normal mascaras do.

The product ....

The product is a mascara that has been designed to moisturise the lashes, be gentle on the eye, not clump but still give a lovely natural look on the lashes.

The packing ....

The product is a little heavy because it comes in a small glass bottle, there is a twist cap that when you open it has a very small basic straight mascara wand inside.

I find the packing the biggest let down to be honest, the bottle is heavy and the wand is too small to get all my lashes easily. It is also a very odd shape and I expected the lid to have a dropper inside with the shape of them the first time I picked on up.

The Cost ....

The mascara has 5g inside the bottle and costs £12.

Summary ....

While this mascara does give a nice natural look I found the applicator was just too small and difficult to use! The wand is short and takes forever to coat all lashes plus the small lid is hard to hold.

I did not find any difference in the look of my lashes but I only used it a few times.

While it did not clump I found it very thin and I found it took ages to build up the layers, on top of that it is not water resistant and it smudged loads when it was warmer weather.

I personally would not buy it again, it was expensive and did not really work for me.

• Lush Colour Supplement / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.11.2014 02:21

Advantages

• "Multi uses "

Disadvantages

• expensive

3 in 1 product that does well for all 3!

I have issues with my skin and struggle with finding foundations that do not cause my skin to come out in bad spots. Last year I was in Lush and the lady gave me a trial of this to try in a Light Pink.

The Product ....

The product is called a colour supplement, it is a multi use product that can be used as a foundation, a concealer and a tinted moisturiser.

To Use ....

To use as a concealer you simply use the product direct from the pot and spread it on the area of skin you wish to conceal using a brush or sponge. I actually find it best to put on with a small brush then blend with a clean finger.

To use as a foundation you mix a small amount with a very small amount of moisturiser on the back of your hand and then apply to the skin again with a sponge or foundation brush.

To use as a tinted moisturiser you simply mix as much as you want for the right colour between the colour supplement and the moisturiser, and I find it best to apply this with my fingers because it really blends in because of the moisturiser.

Cost ....

These posts cost £9.50 and there are many colours to choose from, if you can not find an exact match you can actually blend the colours. I do this but I only need a small amount of a paler one so I ask for a sample and blend with a full pot.

Summary ....

I adore this product, I use mine most of the time as a tinted moisturiser rather than a full day foundation because with my oily skin I do find I have to touch it up. As a tinted moisturiser I think it gives really good coverage, it blends well, does not give me spots and leaves my skin looking natural. I think its because you can mix the colours together that I can get the perfect blend.

25.11.2014 01:52

Advantages

• "works well "

Disadvantages

• mess
      • "cost "

Amazing product my feet looked wonderful this summer

I received one of these earlier this year from BzzAgent to try, I was over the moon! As someone who walks around in bare feet the soles of my feet need a good scrub and soften every few weeks, by hand it can be hard work but this really does all the hard work.

The Product ....

The product is a small electric foot sander that basically sands the rough skin from the base of your feet, leaving them smooth and soft.

The product I have is slightly different in look, mins has a blue round handle with a white top section then a small black sand paper looking roller at the top. There is a small battery twist off area at the base and a on and off switch between the handle and the top section which looks like a silver band.

To Use ....

Move the small silver band so that the switch shows I, the sander will start rotating. Simply move to the area of dry skin you want to soften on the base of your foot and place the device agains the skin, moving slowly so it is never over one area for more than a few seconds. Within seconds there will be dry skin sanding off your feet.

To clean the roller, there is a small button on one side by the top of the roller, press this and pull up the roller with the other hand. Wash and dry it then simply press it back into place, it will click when it is in right.

Cost ....

These are expensive at around £39.99, which is a lot of money for a device to give you a pedicure.

Does it work? ....

Yes the product certainly does work, it sands away and all I have to do is gently move it around. The downside is that it puts old skin all over, eats batteries and if you have very dry feet is slow at getting through the dry skin.

Summary ....

I adore my Pedi and would not be without one now, I wish it was a little lighter and to be honest for £40 would expect it to be a re chargeable device not run on batteries. my feet have never been so easy to look after as they were this summer.

• T Zone Nose Pore Strips / Skin Care / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.11.2014 01:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

Brilliant Blackhead removers

I have problem combination skin, not only is it prone to spots but my pores seem to think they are collecting black heads, over the years one of the best things I have found to help keep the black heads to a minimal are pore strips. T-zone are one of my favourite ones because they contain tea tree.

The Product ....

The products are small white strips that you wet and apply to the skin, allow to dry and when removed they pull out dirt and black heads. The outcome on the strips is visible, if not a bit yucky to see but interesting to see how much comes out of the pores.

To Use ....

The strips come on a bit of clear plastic, to use you simply :
      1) Remove the plastic
      2) Wet the shiny side of the strip
      3) place the strip shiny side down onto the nose and press down
      4) Allow to dry until the strip is hard, this takes around 10 minutes.
      5) Remove the strip slowly, as you do so it will take with it dirt and black heads.

The strip does sometimes hurt when removing, if it hurts too much just dampen it and it will remove easily.

The Cost ....

These really vary in price, they can cost from around £5.00 in Superdrug to around £2.99 in cheaper drug stores or even sometimes they have them in the pound stores.

Summary ....

I adore these strips, as someone who suffers badly with black heads these are an important part of my routine, the reason I like this brand is that they have tea tree in them which is a natural antiseptic and it helps clean the pores as they remove the dirt. If you do not believe in them then simply look at the strips and see the outcome on them.

25.11.2014 01:11

Advantages

• "quick way to freshen hair"

Disadvantages

• "pricey - but worth it"

Worth every penny

I have the misfortune of having oily hair, which means for me to feel I look presentable I have to wash my hair every day. However that's not always highly practical. Especially as I have long hair. Some days I am out very early in the morning and back very late at night and so in all honesty I'm usually too exhausted on those days to care, it's not until the next morning when I look at my hair I want to cry.

This dry Shampoo has totally changed that, and it also means I don't have to work if by evening my hair is liking distinctively 'yuk'.

Ok so what is this miracle? Basically it is a can of spray - much like hair spray. You spray it into your hair, rub it in and brush it out leaving your hair looking much fresher. One thing you need to watch though is that if you spray it too close your hair will end up white. The first time I used this, I did this at and got a shock when I looked in the mirror to see that I'd aged by about 40 years years.

The cans come in different smells too, but I like the 'blush' one best. The cans also come in different sizes, the large retailing for around £3 at tesco. I sometimes buy the mini ones which are not wholly cost effective but somewhat easier to carry round.

I would completely recommend think s dry shampoo, once you've mastered the art of spraying it really is amazing stuff.

25.11.2014 01:04

Advantages

• " removes dead skin cells and impurities"
      • "leaves my skin looking clear and radiant"

Disadvantages

• none

As good as any!

This Garnier toner has lasted me quite a while. I can’t even remember buying it to be honest.

~ Packaging ~
      It comes in a 200ml bottle. The bottle is made from green transparent plastic and it has a white flip cap lid.
      The back of the bottle suggests that this toner should be used as part of your daily skincare routine for a clear complexion and skin that looks beautiful, fresh and radiant.
      It promises to lift off impurities and dead skin cells which could otherwise leave skin looking dull and it prepares your skin perfectly for moisturising.

~ Price ~
      You can buy a 200ml bottle of this toner for £3.15 from Superdrug, which I think is very reasonable.

~ In use ~
      I have a few bottles of toner on the go and this one was probably the one I used the most up until the last few months when I decided to buy Clinique’s clarifying lotion as I had bought the Clinique cleanser and moisturiser as part of the 3-step skincare system (I must be a fool for falling for that little marketing trick).
      I always apply this toner after cleansing my face. I usually apply this toner using a cotton wool pad.
      It has the same consistency as water so you have to be careful not to pour too much onto your cotton wool pad. You don’t need much of this toner to get a good coverage.
      It feels cool and refreshing on my skin and it doesn’t irritate my skin or sting like some toners I have used do.
      After firmly wiping this over my face I find that my skin looks radiant and clearer than it did prior to using this. It removes impurities and dead skin cells and minimises my pores. It feels very gentle and doesn’t make my skin feel tight like Clinique’s toner does. I really don’t know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.
      After using this toner my skin does not look or feel dried out at all. It is a very effective toner.
      I don’t think the results that this toner produces are any worse than the results of my Clinique toner, which cost about £10.00 more.
      I would definitely consider buying this toning lotion again in the future. It does the job fine and it is very reasonably priced.

25.11.2014 00:31

Advantages

• "Pretty packaging"
      • "lovely scent"

Disadvantages

Pretty in pink and as sweet as candy

Prada Candy Florale was a birthday gift to me from my husband. I had tested it in a department store and liked it, therefore I did some hinting. This worked and I got the gift.

My eldest daughter has remarked several times that she loves this scent and so I thought if I can hint then so can she. Shhh! Please don’t tell her but I've ordered her a Christmas gift set which should arrive this week.

PACKAGING

Packaging is definitely feminine all the way with the pretty bottle being of candy pink with a touch of gold and black.

The box is candy pink but shows a white modern flower design.

The gift sets are enticing. I've ordered a gift box set for my daughter.

NOTES

Top notes: Limoncello
      Heart notes: Peony
      Base notes: Musk, Benzoin, Caramel

I would say when first applied this scent is quite piquant and interesting with the top note of limoncello. Then the heart note of peony is introduced and the perfume becomes floral and sweet. I love the smell of peony so this EDT appeals to me.

I like it on first contact but once the top and heart notes are joined by the base notes then the scent becomes more interesting and smells even nicer.

As base notes are detected; it doesn't smell quite as sweet and the aroma of musk is pleasant. But I would say that overall this EDT smells of peony.

SUITABILITY

As Prada is an iconic fashion and fragrance house then this perfume will appeal to most ladies, although maybe not if you favour very heady scents.

I would say that it’s a grown up scent as it’s a sensual smell. But it is also fresh and flowery so is a great scent for all ages.

I believe it is suitable for day or night-time wear and is perfect for that special occasion.

LONGEVITY

I wouldn't say that Candy is the longest lasting fragrance that I own but it lasts long enough to be worthwhile. I would say that with the eau de toilette it needs topping up throughout the day, maybe just once or twice.

OVERALL

I really like it. It’s a lovely fresh floral scent but with a little bit more.

I like smelling it throughout the day to see if I can detect all the notes.

I adore the smell of peony and the base notes which include musk provide an added bonus to the blend.

AVAILABILITY/PRICE

Prada Candy Florale is readily available from high street fragrance stockists and on-line.

The EDT spray comes in a variety of sizes (30ml, 50ml, 80ml) and in various gift sets.

Here is an idea of prices based on a 30ml sized spray:

Boots £33.75

Escentual.com £30.80

The Fragrance Shop £38.00

24.11.2014 23:59

Advantages

• "Leaves hair soft and shiny"

Disadvantages

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo - Good.

~ Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo ~

Despite not being loyal to any particular shampoo brands this is one that I tend to go back to time and time again.

This Hello Hydration shampoo by Herbal Essences comes in a nice blue coloured bottle with the typical push button lid. The shampoo itself is also blue in colour but paler than the bottle.

I like this shampoo as I find it leaves my hair really soft and shiny and smelling great. I find it works a treat for my hair as due to colouring and using heated hair tools my hair does get really dry but this does seem to leave it in much better condition, I only need to use a small amount as it really does lather up well and I find that a small amount is enough to get my hair clean.
      I do use it with a blob of the same conditioner and the scent stays in my hair until I come to wash it next.

The scent is lovely. It's a really tropical coconutty scent which I really love. It's a really uplifting scent.

I do like the results that this shampoo offers, it leaves my hair soft and shiny and really easy to manage. I don't think it makes my hair flat or lifeless but adds a bit of volume which I think is a great thing!

I tend to buy it from Poundland so I only pay £1 a bottle which I think is a bargain.

This is something I would recommend.

Thanks for reading x

24.11.2014 23:30

Advantages

• "Only cost £1"
      • "Good idea"
      • "Right size and shape for a cat"

Disadvantages

• "£1 wasted."

Cute mouse, but a waste of £1

I bought one of these mice last year for my cats and it was greeted with a huge sense of underwhelming. I thought the concept was great, a view my cats didn't share.

The mouse is around 8cm long and about 5cm round covered with furry material. In that respect its dimensions are perfect for cats, it is not heavy at all and is similar in shape, size and feel to my cats' favourite ever mouse toy, which is why I was convinced it would be a hit.

At the back of the mouse is a plastic circle ring which you pull out to a length of about 20cm then release to start the mouse vibrating. It does not make a loud noise, and to my great disappointment, it doesn't cause the mouse to move much either. I was expecting by pulling the cord and releasing it, the mouse might scurry a little way, but the vibration effect lasts only a few seconds and unfortunately that is not enough to hold the cats attention.

On one occasion, one of my cats did make me thing that this was going to be a hit. She managed to hold the mouse in her front paws when lying down and learned that she could pull the cord with her teeth and it would make the mouse vibrate. Personally, I found this hilarious, I thought she would too, but she didn't share the amusement, and got bored of it quickly, the trick never to be repeated.

Even though I only paid £1 each for these mice, it was a couple of pounds wasted. Even without the underwhelming vibration effect, there is nothing that attracts my cats about these toys. They didn't get played with very much, so I would have to advise, save your money on this one.

• Dr. Nick Lowe Spot Gel / Skin Care / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      24.11.2014 23:24

Advantages

• "It stops me squeezing"
      • "It works"

Disadvantages

• "Even a 5ml tube is too much for me with a 12 month use by."

I don't need much from a product like this and Dr Nick delivers

Life has blessed me with many things including spot free skin. I maybe get a tiny spot two or three times a year but when that happens, I know that I need to resist the temptation to give it a good poke or (god forbid) a quick squeeze. With such infrequent spots, I didn’t want a large tube of spot gel and when I spotted (pun intended of course) a tiny 5 ml tube of Dr Nick Lowe Spot Gel on the ‘Latest in Beauty’ website, I snapped it up for a tiny price. Even a big tube of 15ml will set you back only 11.00 so I doubt I paid more than a pound or two.

A 5ml tube is tiny enough for me to stick in the bottom of my handbag and forget about. It’s also so small that it’s not yet been detected by airport security when it’s hiding in my bag.

The product is a clear, colourless gel with a distinctly anti-septic smell which is not surprising since is - basically - just an antibacterial gel. On the few occasions that I’ve needed it, I’ve dabbed the tiniest of dots onto a ‘soon to erupt’ spot and left it for a few hours to dry it up and make it go away. Easy.

With a ‘use after opening’ guideline of 12 months, I’ll never get far through this tube but if you have more frequent or bigger spot problems than me, I think you’ll still find this tiny tube is plenty to see you through months of spot action.

I like knowing that I’m hygienically treating the spot and because it works so well, I’m less prone to giving in to temptation and giving it a squeeze.

24.11.2014 23:18

Advantages

• "Good screen"
      • "Affordable "

Disadvantages

• "Presets are forgotten"

What a great DAB device!

~«˜† MeBeSte's - Logitech Squeezebox Radio Review †˜»~

Logitech's Squeezebox is a great, compact feature rich DAB digital radio.

After numerous issues with cheap DAB radios I decided to bite the bullet and go for something a little more expensive, I am glad I did! I have even taken this to the beach for the day and had a great time listening to music while relaxing.

This radio is awesome! You can play your favorite radio stations, internet stations and also play back your digital music files such as MP3. The screen even displays album art, song titles, radio station information, screen savers etc.

It is very compact, portable and easy to move around the house and connect to your internet via WiFi to listen to your favorite music, news and even sports wherever you are. The sound quality is also quite impressive for such a small product.

The line in cord allows simple and quick connectivity of MP3 players, phones etc to output the sound via a 3.5mm audio jack.

One great thing is being able to use it as an alarm clock, I know an expensive alarm clock but still. The clock illumination even knows when to dim itself...when your bedroom lights go out! You can also set the alarm to wake you up with your favorite radio station or breakfast show.

The only negative thing about this radio is that it decides to forget your presets once it is switched off!

So overall I would highly recommend this product over the cheaper DAB radio's that you can buy, it sounds great, its easy to use and best of all...its portable!

24.11.2014 23:12

Advantages

• "Nice fragrance"
      • Refreshing

Disadvantages

• "Not the best for make up removal"
      • "Not that soft"

Fine as a facial cleanser, not that great for ale-up removal

I recently bought some of these Boots Essentials Refreshing Cucumber Cleansing Wipes as part of a three for two offer. I had never tried them before but I wanted a cheap everyday wipe and they seemed to fit the bill.

Each pack contains 25 wipes and has a resealable sticker over the opening. It is easy enough to pull out one wipe without ending up with a whole load of them and the sticker works well and doesn't let the remaining wipes dry out at all. I really like the cool, refreshing cucumber scent. It's pleasant without being at all overbearing.

These wipes are intended to clean your skin from both oils and make-up however I only tend to use these to clean my face and not as a make-up remover. They are perfectly fine as facial cleanser as they smell nice and have a decent amount of dampness to feel good without leaving your face all wet. To remove make up you have to rub them harder against your skin and I find this feels quite rough especially around the delicate eye area if you are trying to remove eye make up. I hardly ever wear make up so these wipes are fine for me most of the time but if I was a make-up wearer I would be looking at getting a more expensive product that is softer against my skin.

One pack of these wipes currently costs £1.50 from Boots and they are usually not the 3 for 2 offer making them even better value. I would buy them again the future but I wouldn't go out of my way and if I saw something similar of a similar price in a different shop I wouldn't just as easily pick that up instead rather then these.

In summary, these cheap wipes are fine as a basic everyday cleanser but something a little less basic is needed for make-up removal.

• Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation / Make Up / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      24.11.2014 23:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Stay Matte, but stay away from me.

Rimmel make up is a brand I often go for as I find them to be good quality cosmetics at a decent price point. I have recently re-stocked my make up bag, and I used this foundation for the first time over the weekend. In the ranges available for a liquid foundation, this one stood out as ticking the boxes, and it was part of Boots' current 3 for 2 offer.

It comes in a tall slim bottle, and contains 30ml for £5.99. This will last me for quite a while, so I considered it good value. Other liquid foundations I've used have been quite runny, but this Rimmel one has a fairly thick consistency which threw me a bit. The tube states "liquid mousse", which sounded like a really pleasant texture and what I was looking for. I prefer to usually apply with cotton wool or pads, but using this, I needed to use my fingers to apply and try to smooth it out.

For me, applying my make up for a night out is more of a chore than a pleasurable part of the night out, so anything that means it takes longer is a bit of a downer. For that reason, I'll already say I won't be buying this again.

However, to get to the actual facts, having gone to the super human effort of spending more than 5 minutes applying my make up, I have to say, it did do a nice job as a foundation. By taking the time to smooth it into my skin, it did give a nice even finish, and it was true to the colour I was expecting - I go for a pale tone as I try to go as natural as possible. Afterwards I applied a powder, and this took well and for me that represents a decent foundation.

It's a pity about the consistency, but unfortunately I will be looking for a more liquid foundation sooner rather than later. I'm sure one of my girlfriends will give this a home and I will look for a replacement. Overall I would have to say that this is a decent foundation which does its job, but it's just not for me.

24.11.2014 23:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cheap and loads of memory

I have had my Samsung Story for a good few years now.
      It is built solidly and have been exceptionally reliable.
      The case is metal and feels like proper engineering. No cheap and nasty hard drives like other product. I have even dropped it once or twice and has not done anything lasting even with it being fan cooled.

Once you plug it in and turn it on with the very cool looking knob, it making a futuristic whirring noise and lights up. All for show but I really like it and makes it stand out. It stands out and is not just a box but a bit of feature as well.

The noise from the fan is not really an issue but unless you go SSD you do not really have the choice to be honest.

Transferring files is done as quick as USB 2.0 can go but its best to move things on mass instead of individually as it will take more longer otherwise.

Security as well there are option to backup and use the Samsung Vault within the hard drive which I did not need to take advantageous of, but is a very desirable feature.

Finally the main choice for choosing this item was for the size of memory the price was very reasonable. Checking other reviewers they commented on the reliability and despite not spending a lot it has not let me down.

I would recommend Samsung Story devices and would definitely consider Samsung devices in the future.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown