24.10.2014 18:02

Advantages

• "low price????"

Disadvantages

• "cheap and nasty"
      • "don't bounce"
      • "pop in seconds"

Balls that don't bounce.... what's the point..??

All dogs love to chase balls and, with some dogs, especially mine, like to squeeze them in their mouths, which, with most good tennis balls, means nothing at all.
      Sadly though these tennis balls are about as strong as a water balloon in a Pitt-bulls mouth as they pop with the slightest of pressure from the weakest of dogs.
      They look like tennis balls, round, colourful, even having the glued marks that all good tennis balls have that show you the material covering the ball is glued down. But these are no normal tennis balls, even if they look like it. These are a complete waste of money and should not be given to any kind of dog.
      I bought the one packet from Wilkinsons, which I should have know as the price was so low, but you have to try. There was six in the pack, blue, green, yellow, red, pink and orange, although at the end of the day the dogs can't tell the difference in the colours and really doesn't care about what colour they are. All they want to do is chased the thing.

When I took the dog out for a bit of throw and fetch I found out just how bad these balls were. The first one flew through the air ok, going quite far, using a plastic launcher to get a better distance. Then, as the ball hit the deck, it stayed there. There was no bounce to speak of, it simply hit the deck and rolled away. This confused my dog as he expected the bounce, so when he prepared himself for the bouncing ball.
      When he finally realised it was not going to bounce he quickly grabbed it in his mouth, popping it straight away. This happened on the other five balls, so after a matter of minutes, we had 12 halves that were no use as balls at all.

These cost about £2 from wilkinson but to be honest i'd save you money and invest in something that will last a bit longer.

24.10.2014 17:42

Advantages

• " simply stroke your dog"
      • "No effort needed"
      • "Comforting for the dog"
      • "Easy to wear"

Disadvantages

• "A little big for smaller hands"

Stroke your dog and brush him as well.

Dogs need a good brush but some dogs aren't that keen on having a hard brush being rubbed across there fur, which means that some dogs don't get the full brushing that they need, or deserve. Which is where this glove/brush comes in handy as it may confuse the nervous dogs into not believing that they are being brushed. Or, those dogs that just love a pampering, either way this works a treat.
      This is simply a glove that has lots of gentle soft rubber nobbles on the palm which are there so that when you stroke across the dogs fur is brushes as well as comforts.
      All you do it put the glove on, as a glove, on your right hand, I don't know if they do a left handed version?. But once the glove is on you just stroke you dog as you would any other time. The nobbles on the palm on the glove will gently stroke the dog without causing him, or her any pains or discomfort at all.
      This comes in one size, which is a bit on the large size. I mean, I have big hands and this glove is not a tight fit on me. When my better half tried using it it does tend to slip off more often than it does on my hand, even with the elasticated wrist strap that is on this one.

I do have to say that this is not a proper brush. It's not going to get into the nooks and crannies of your dogs fur. This is more a finishing brush which will smooth out the fur, leaving it cleaner looking and a lot smoother.

This glove sells for about £6 - £8 which is about the price of any decent brush really.

24.10.2014 17:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

Awarded a gold from me.

Recently I purchased 'Higher Nature Aloe Gold Ear Drops,' online for £11.00 from a reputable pharmacy company and, after using these drops as directed,for the past I am pleased to say these ear drops have proven to be a very good buy.

Due to the fact that I have suffered from numerous allergies over many years, I feel I have become a firm believer in natural remedies and, also having had troubles over the years with earache and inner ear problems, the 'Higher Nature Aloe Gold Ear Drops' seemed worth a try.

Having bought many prescribed and over the counter bottles of ear drops over the years. I rang the pharmacy company and asked them relevant questions relating to my complaint i.e. painful and irritation in the canal of the ear. An feeling of something being actually stuck down in the ear. They were extremely helpful and suggested that I gave them a trial period to see if the problem showed any sign of improvement. This I did, and after seven days my ears certainly felt a lot clearer, especially my left ear which I have the majority of trouble with. Also, thankfully, the itchiness and irritation was much much better.

I am so very impressed with 'Higher Nature Aloe Gold Ear Drops' that I have spread the good news to other members of my family who, unfortunately, also have allergic reactions to different products.

These ear drops certainly deserve a gold in my book and I am very pleased for the advice given by the pharmacist so freely.

24.10.2014 17:16

Advantages

• " pleasantly scented"
      • "Good moisturiser"

Disadvantages

• Discontinued

An unusually scented body butter from Body Shop

===The Product===

Body Shop Midnight Bakula Body Butter.
      With mysterious Bakula flower extract.
      200mls.
      Comes in vivid cerise/magenta coloured tub with a deep purple screw top lid.
      Use within 12 months and made in UK.
      Arabic sort of design on the top label in deep purples and pinks.
      For normal to dry skins.
      Contains fair trade cocoa butter from Ghana, shea butter, organic babassu oil and soya oil from Brazil.

===Cost===

Now discontinued from their website but was 13 pounds at full price and they also made a matching perfume.

===My Opinion===

This body butter was one of many I bought ages ago when they were all on offer on the website and I ended up getting lots of different ones to try for around the 3 pound mark.
      I had not heard of this butter before or tried the perfume so came to it completely ignorant of what to expect.
      Unlike its vivid packaging this butter is a pale off white shade – whereas you would expect something much brighter from the vivid container.
      The butter comes in the same standard tubs as all the other butters – only this one is two tone, having a different coloured lid.
      The butter is aimed at normal to dry skins but I must admit I do not find much difference to the moisturising properties whether the butter is aimed as either dry or normal skins – to me they are all equally good.
      I find this butter marvellous in re-moisturising my hands and feet and also dry knees and elbows.
      The butters are definitely the best moisturisers I have found.
      This fragrance is a good alternative if you do not really like the mass of fruity body butters that the Body Shop stocks, though I like them all.
      The perfume with this is not too overpowering but is rich and heavy in its way and definitely lasts a good few hours on your skin and you could get away with just using this and no perfume if you only like your skin delicately scented.
      Not so much a light floral but more an exotic and slightly musky aroma.
      Apparently the Bakula is an Indian flower. It does have medicinal properties but I think they are irrelevant when used in this product.
      This is no longer available from Body Sop but can be picked up on ebay.
      TIP - Make sure you keep the tub as the labels come off easily and they make great storage containers - you could even use them for alternative Christmas tree decorations as they are so colourful!

24.10.2014 17:12

Advantages

• " floral fragrance."
      • " moisturising butter"
      • "Pretty tub"

Disadvantages

• " fragrance a little artificial for me."
      • " expensive at full price"
      • "May be discontinued"

Good butter but not sure about the fragrance.

===The Product===
      Body Shop Dreams Unlimited Body Butter.
      200 ml sky blue tub with white screw top lid.
      Label has lots of small writing – 'a shooting star', 'unstoppable' etc.
      For normal skin with the fresh and uplifting fragrance of 'Dreams Unlimited'.
      Made in the UK and use within 12 months.
      Contains glycerine, shea butter and soy bean oil.
      Solid white butter.

===Cost===

13 pounds full price. Not currently on their website.

===My Opinion===

Body Shop state that this fragrance is 'a fusion of citrus, green chilli, white flowers and cedarwood notes'.

I purchased this a while ago when it was on offer but it does not now seem to be listed on their website. Whether it is permanently discontinued or just being 'rested' for a while I do not know.

Like most fo the other butters I find them expensive at full price but I am very happy to buy them when on offer occasionally.

I did not know this fragrance but was pleased that this butter came in a very cheerful turquoise blue tub with a white lid.

Again this butter is solid and this time fragranced with the Body Shop 'Dreams Unlimited' fragrance.

The butter itself is for normal skin but I do find it very rich and moisturising and it sinks in well to the skin but you can still feel that you have moisturised your skin. Great for hands and feet and a tub lasts ages as you only need to use a small amount at a time.

Both with the colour of the tub and the fragrance I feel this butter is more suited for the spring and summer months, which may explain why it is not listed at present.

The fragrance is quite a light floral when first applied and not too strong. However it does linger for quite a while and I do tend then to find that it does smell a little artificial and maybe this is not one of my favourites.

Lots of people seem to love this butter but fragrance is such a personal thing. I like that it is fresh and floral and can be virtually used in place of perfume. However for me personally it is not one of their best offerings.

===Star Rating===

3 stars. Not 100% keen on the fragrance.

24.10.2014 16:33

Advantages

• "Perfect guilty pleasure"
      • Fun
      • Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disadvantages

Can't wait to start my Christmas movie marathons!

My Christmas movie marathons will start the very first day of November, and that's only because my sister-in-law has put a veto on me starting any earlier than that (I live with her, I haven't just decided to do everything she says for the sake of it.)

I absolutely love Christmas movies, and the cheesy made for TV or straight to DVD ones are just as awesome as any others. Sky also has those incredible little movie channels that become Christmas 24 and True Christmas from late October/early November, and continually play this beautifully ridiculous and saccharine array of Christmassy treats guaranteed to exorcise the Grinch/Scrooge inside you for another year.

On TV channels such as these there are such wonderful offerings as Santa Jr., Santa and Pete, The Santa Suit, Santa Paws, and Santa Buddies. You can tell how much I watch these by the fact that I can remember what they're called.

The ones with children/dogs of Santa and Mrs Claus tend to be the best of these for elf, magic, and ridiculousness content (and at least an element of unbelievability is mandatory for the made for TV Christmas movie.)

Then, of course, there are the classics: the films that I absolutely must watch every Christmas without fail - White Christmas, A Muppets' Christmas Carol, Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas, Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas, and, of course, Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. Everything else is changeable according to mood, but these ones I must watch every Christmas, twice if I have the time - about ten times for White Christmas because it truly is magical.

I know some people find Christmas films irritating, but they have to look at them as a breath of fresh, joyous and Christmassy air - something we can all do with in what seems to be increasingly a miserable world.

Happy Christmas!

• Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test / Sexual Health / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      24.10.2014 16:16

Advantages

• "conception indicator"
      • "easy to read"

Disadvantages

• pricey

easy to read but pricey

When it comes to buying a pregnancy test it seems there are just so many different types and brands on the market that differ in price so vastly. For me clearblue is a brand that i trust to give me an accurate result.
      Clearblue is definitely one of the most expensive brands for a double pack you are looking at paying around £18 for the digital ones with conception indicators. You can buy them from most supermarkets and chemists as well. I got mine from a lloyds chemist.
      The instructions in the box are really simple and the test is very easy to use either by holding it under your stream of urine or by peeing into a clean cup/jar and then dipping it into there for so many seconds.
      It can take up to three minutes for the result to come up with a pregnant or not pregnant words then after a little bit longer the conception indicator comes with 1-2 weeks, 2-3 or 3+. I do however find the conception indicator isnt all that accurate and from speaking to midwives they really have problems with people faffing about the conception indicator not going up in weeks when it should. I have never had a false positive or false negative on these tests but i do usually use these after getting a positive on a cheaper test and use these to confirm just because of cost of the tests.
      I would recommend them as i find them so easy to read rather than trying to determine if there is or isnt a line.

• TCP Antiseptic Liquid / First Aid / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      24.10.2014 15:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

TCP Antiseptic Liquid - a must for everyone

TCP Antiseptic Liquid is, in my view, an essential product to carry with you in your 'First Aid Kit' at home or when travelling.

Firstly, I would recommend this antiseptic liquid for sore throats and mouth disorders, It can be used as a very effective gargle, but every care must be taken to make sure that none of the liquid is swallowed. This isn't the most pleasant of experiences, as the taste is strong and a little unpleasant, However, in the long run. I feel anyone will think it's well worth it.

Secondly, it is really effective for any skin disorders i.e. spots, rashes, also stings, bites and cuts etc. It soothes pain and enhances the healing procees. At th same time killing all bacteria.

Please let me emphasise the importance of reading and adhering to the instructions on the back of the bottle, as it clearly states how to dilute the liquid correctly.

TCP has been used by my family over the past 50 years and we highly recommend it. It has been an absolute godsend to all the members of our family both young and old. The reason being we go camping regularly with our children and grandchildren, and, because of the beautiful summer, there have been lots swarms of flies and bugs about. The worst offender this year is the horsefly which on landing on your skin gives a very severe sting and inflammation. Thankfully, being armed with TCP Antiseptic liquid, once bathed and the infection eradicated, wihin a short period of time, the person who has been affected feels an awful lot better.

This product is well priced at £3.95.

• Durex Extra Safe / Sexual Health / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.10.2014 15:12

Advantages

• "Readily available"
      • "Didn't split"

Disadvantages

• "You lose a huge amount of sensation when using them"

Extra Safe, No Feeling...

A few months ago I had to stop taking my contraceptive pill for a while as I was due to have gynaecology tests which could be influenced by the hormone in the pill, I was advised by my doctor to discontinue my pill for a whole month before the tests and with it taking seven days to reach optimum protection after restarting it I realised I wasn't going to be covered for at least five weeks - and maybe longer if the tests proved inconclusive as these can sometimes.

Not wanting to give up sex for such a long time I had a little look at what else was available, eventually deciding to go down the condom route as my partner and I have four children already and don't want more - the Durex Extra Safe condoms looked ideal as the box promoted them as being thicker than average so less chance of them breaking.

Hmmm. Well, I must say neither of us were exactly overwhelmed (overcome?) by these as frankly they're so thick they don't feel at all natural and my partner complained of an almost total lack of sensation while wearing them. I personally felt there was an unpleasant 'drag' with each thrust which didn't feel good at all, as I looked at the thickness of the condom before my partner put it on I was reminded of that old joke about wearing wellies on your willy and in all honesty that felt like a surprisingly accurate analogy after a couple of sessions using these Extra Safe condoms.

We didn't persevere with them and switched to another type of Durex condom, reasoning that we probably didn't need the 'extra safe' component as we've never had one split in the past despite having an active sex life. I'd imagine they'd be useful for anal sex where the tightness creates a bigger risk of a condom splitting, they certainly feel thick enough to cope with that (even though anal isn't something I partake in - it is an exit, not an entrance...).

At £6.99 for 12 condoms these are priced on a par with other Durex products (ie. ridiculously high considering they claim to have our sexual well being in mind) and despite their shortcomings they do do their job of not splitting brilliantly and provided peace of mind during the time I wasn't covered by my contraceptive.

24.10.2014 14:32

Advantages

• "not greasy"
      • "not too pricey"
      • "no overpowering smell"
      • "clears up skin"

Disadvantages

• "perfect face wash"

Brilliant face wash, not face mask user though!

Since my early teens I've always had a problem with my skin, so getting a good face wash that wasn't too greasy, didn't make my skin too dry, and didn't cost the earth to buy was always a challenge.

I discovered this face wash a few years ago, and even though I've tried others to see if they compare ad make my skin even better, fact is they dont..not at all, they dont even come close. I'm gonna be honest, I dont use this as a face mask at all, mainly because I dont like them and I find it an incredibly tedious process having to wait for what seems like an age for it to set, or do it's magic. So I wont be reviewing that part of it.

The scent is nothing to get excited about, in fact I'd say there wasn't really a scent, which in my opinion is not a bad thing, and ocerpowering scents tend to make me sneeze. The feel of it is quite creamy, but not greasy at all and with only a small amount squeezed out, can cover a fairly large area of skin.

The flip top lid is one I prefer as you can squeeze out as much as you need from the 150ml tube, which doesn't sound alot, but it does seem to last forever! This product does not lather up, it is not soapy at all, rather more like a cream, this could be why it last sucha ong time.

It is safe to say I am overly pleased with this product. I hve tried so many before this, all of which seemed to overly dry out my skin, which left me with nasty looking dry patches all over my face, this keeps my skin moisturised and not exactly spot free, but helps with bad blemishes. I dont think I'll ever be completely spot free, so this is not a negative for the product! Would definitely reccomend!

24.10.2014 14:04

Advantages

• "strong smelling"
      • cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not my kind of 'Wake Me Up' product"

A yummy smelling shower!

I am always trying new bath and shower products, I do not like to stick to the same brand or fragrance, I like to try out new ones all the time so usually get whatever is on offer, the cheapest, or whatever catches my eye and takes my fancy at the time.

Most recently I was in Tesco down the shower gel aisle and noticed that Tesco do their own range of shower creme that looks A LOT like the Original Source brand. I quickly scanned the selection they had on offer and I was drawn to the coconut and mango one. Two of my favourite scents! It was only one pound a bottle, it seemed perfect to me , so popped one in my basket!

It is a clear, see through bottle, which I like as you can see exactly what the product is like and when it's been used you can easily see when you are running low and need to get a new one.
      What I also like about this bottle is that the cap is on the bottom so that means that when you are coming to the end you are not struggling to get the last bits out as they are already drained to the bottom. It also has a flip cap which is easily opened and closed. When opened, the hole where the shower creme comes out of is revealed, it is a decent size and you only need a little squeeze to get a generous 'portion' of the product out!

The actual shower creme is white in colour but also slightly see through. I think I would prefer it if it was properly white or cream instead of this being slightly transparent as I think it would have made it appear thicker, creamier and more luxurious. That's probably me just being picky though!!

The smell, I love it!!
      The coconut part is the strongest smell and you get a slight sweetness of the mango every now and again too! The smell is really strong but without being over powering. I really do love the smell!

One dollop of this stuff goes quite a long way, it lathers up really nicely and produces lots of bubbles so it covers a lot. I find the fragrance is quite long lasting and I can smell it on my skin for a while after my shower.

I definitely recommend this shower creme, I really love it, the only thing I would say is it does not really fit in the 'Wake Me Up' range in my opinion as I find it quite relaxing!

xx Mrs K xx

24.10.2014 13:24

Advantages

• "It relieved the cough a bit"

Disadvantages

• "Tastes bad"
      • "Doesn't do a proper job"

Homeopet Cough Cat & Dog-Did not work for me

My dog recently got in some kind of trouble, he got some shots of a cold, probably because of all the damn rain with this weather, he started having some severe cough. at first I didn't take it seriously and found it quite funny, he often makes strange noises because of that big head that chews of everything he encounters. Then, at night, he caught like crazy, I couldn't sleep called my vet and he asked me if I had some cough remedy for my dog in my house, I only had this for the time he was a puppy, but never had to use it. He told me to put a lot of drops in his water and it will be better.

Introduction

HomeoPet Cough contains a combination of natural, organic ingredients that when used together relieve minor symptoms of cough. I bought it because it is a all natural product, that's always usefull for a puppy with no second factors, and it provides relief from coughing, including from kennel cough. You have to use thisproduct three times a day in the morning, in the evening, and at bedtime. Place directly into the mouth or in water that the pet will finish. For pets less than 20 lbs give 5 drops, for pets 20 to 100 lbs give 10 drops and for pets over 100 lbs give 15 drops.( I put 10 for a grown-up 60 lbs dog).

My personal review

When I went to the vet, a few days later just waiting for the product to do its job, he had some minor issues, that was kind of the side effect, heavy cough. Nonetheless it was a minor issue, and although it cough less, barely....

He would still cough all night and day and you could barely feel an improvement. This besides he hates the taste, doesn't like it in his mouth weather I put it directly there or I put it in his water just hates it. I don't know if to blame the product or the size of the dog, but it did not work for me, I did hear good things about it though.

24.10.2014 12:58

Advantages

• "natural product"
      • "smells good not strong"
      • "Soft with your hands"

Disadvantages

• "You can smell the dog beneath the shampoo"

Dogs Trust Shampoo Anti-Odour-short hair wors great but for longer one use something else

I bought this one because my girlfriend used it before, she did not enjoy the fact that it has a very mild smell, she could smell the dog after the bath and when your dog smells like a wet dog and like a shampoo is even more unpleasant. Golden retrievers having such a long coat can smell quite a lot, but I love mild smelling shampoos for our canine friends, I hate when I hug my dog and he smells like a pine tree. So I borrowed it and gave it a try.

Introduction

It comes in a yellow flashy bottle, weighing at 300 grams with 250 ml of product. This gentle shampoo mildly cleanses and deodorises the coat leaving it soft and clean for days. It alleviates strong odour problems thanks to Rosemary, for a long lasting, fresh smelling coat. Contains Zinc PCA, one of the best skin odour absorption elements. It will not wash off topical flea applications. Safe for all dogs over 6 weeks old. 99% NATURAL

My personal review

This Dogs Trust Shampoo is really nicely perfumed, lathers easily, cleans beautifully and is easy to rinse off. Being a natural product you know you are using the best on your dog and there are no harmful nasties in it.I've tried a few different dog shampoos on my dog and this is definitely one of the best so far. It's difficult to get anything to lather on he's coat but this will produce a thin lather eventually without having to use massive amounts. It has a mild, clean smell, not perfume-y. and does not leave a strong odour on his coat, just a very mild freshness.
      Since I've been using this, I've noticed his coat is a lot shinier and softer, and she gets a lot of compliments. It just removes the smell, gives him a Rose mild smell and does not harm my hands. My only complaint is for my girlfriends Golden, it did a poor job on a bigger coat.

24.10.2014 12:52

Advantages

• "easily cut down to size"
      • "almost unnoticable "
      • "seems harmless to the dog"
      • "easy to put on"
      • "Simple idea"

Disadvantages

• none

Keep you dog from scratching away at those horrid fleas

I like to make sure that my dog is flea free as best I can, which means a regualr fleaing, with either flea powder or a flea bath.. but when I spotted a flea collar in the shops I thought 'why not?'. So I bought it and gave it a try.
      There were a couple of sizes on the shelf, and many other makes too, but I went for the 'standard' size one, which is about 600mm long, (the other said 65cm, (600mm) so I guess that's for bigger dogs).
      Anyway, when I got the collar home I wrapped it around the dogs neck, seeing that there was a lot of the collar to cut off, a good 100mm or so. But cutting through the collar was easy with a pair of scissors, just like cutting through hardened rubber really. Once cut to size I then wrapped it around the dogs neck once more, I pushed the end of the collar through the little 'locking catch', this catch is simply a sort of flat, square figure of eight system that the end of the collar slips through.
      Once on it looked better, without the excess collar hanging down, , then I put his normal collar on top of this flea one, which hides the flea collar from sight.
      Now my dog was ready to be flea free for up to five months, according to the package that the collar came on.

It has now been four weeks and a few days since he has been wearing it and he is showing no signs of having fleas, with no sign of them in his fur when I'm brushing him. I don't know if it's the collar keeping them at bay or the fact that the last de-fleaing treatment is still working. But what ever it is he seems to be flea free.
      And the cost of this easy to fit and very discreet flea collar is a staggering low £3.00, which is good money indeed, and even better if it keeps the fleas away for the five months stated.

• Fish 4 Dogs Sea Biscuits Tiddler / Dog Food / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      24.10.2014 12:40

Advantages

• "They love them"

Disadvantages

• "better for smaller dogs"

Fish 4 Dogs Sea Biscuits - Crunchy treat

My dog as any dog, love treats. Really, mine I think is just like a child, no matter the taste of the thing he will just eat it if it comes in a different kind of package or any other shape than it's regular doggy food.

Introduction

The sea biscuits come in a blue bag, with transparent plastic in the middle so you can see the actual truth. Once you open them the fish smell really hits you, it smells kind of bad, like bad smelling putrid fish, but you know how it is, the worst it smells for you the better for them. Honestly I bought them because they look kind of disgusting and made out of fish he never tasted fish treats.Size Sea Biscuit Tiddlers are around 15mm cube and they are made from 95% fish and 5% rice Sea Biscuits are a healthy, tasty and natural alternative to processed products. They have a lovely crisp and crunchy texture and the benefit of Omega 3 and other fish oils to help promote a healthy coat and supple joints, and for my dog joints are important, he isn't exactly light and he is always running and jumping around.

My personal opinion

I initially bought a couple of bags to test and my dog loves them so much - I have just ordered a keg. I use them as a 'special treat' usually after a grooming session, or if I really want his attention during training. Because of their smaller size, they are perfect for smaller dogs to use as treats. My dog is big, and he would eat the entire 1 kg in a sitting if I let him, so I cannot really see it on his coat just because of that, I use them as a special treat in training or something else. He loves them the only downside is that, I would love to see this in a bigger one gulp size.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown