20.10.2014 19:19

Advantages

• "Cleans well"
      • "Good price"
      • "Nice fragrance"

Disadvantages

A nice fragranced shower gel

When it comes to any sort of fragrance, my preference is always fruity so when I spotted this reduced, I just had to try it.

===Price & availability===

The shower gel is available from most supermarkets and high street chemists, the actually RRP for a 250ml bottle it around £2 however this along with the majority of the Radox range often gets reduced down to less than £1 which is when I tend to pick it up.

===The bottle===

This Radox bottle definitely stands out on the shelf as it is bright pink in colour and topped with a black flip top lid. To the front of the bottle is an image of a mixture of berries with a splash of milk over them. The bottle stands on the lid which I like as the gel runs all the way to the lid which means I don’t have to shake the bottle when I am getting towards the end of it.

I also like that the bottle has a cap on it which only dispenses the liquid when it is squeezed so that it doesn’t leak when not in use. The only downside of the bottle is that it doesn’t have a fold out hook at the top which means that it cant be hung in the shower like some of the other Radox bottles can.

===The shower gel===

The shower gel is white in colour and has quite a runny consistency to it so I do have to be careful when squeezing the bottle so as not to dispense too much out onto my shower puff. I would sat that I use around a 50p sized amount when using which is more than enough to produce a really nice lather and enough to clean my whole body.

My partner has quite sensitive skin and he has never experienced any problems when using this. I must say that I tend to have dry skin, especially on my legs and this does a great job and keeping my skin hydrated too.

The best thing about this product is the fragrance, it smells lovely and fruity, just as you would expect if to based on the image of the bottle. I love the fact that the fragrance is long lasting too, several hours after showering, I can still smell on my skin. Although I would say this is quite a feminine smell, the fragrance isn’t too overpowering and my hubby uses it without any complaints.

===Overall===

I really like the gel and it does a good job at cleaning and keeping my skin nice and soft so I would definitely recommend and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Thanks for reading.

20.10.2014 19:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

my least favourite deoderant

This was a product I had been wanting to try for ages but the price had put me off. In recent months asda have had it in a 3for £5 range with money back on the apg so I finally got to try it.

**staying power**
      To be honest not that great. After about an hour of it being on you can't really tell it has ever been applied
      On me even going for a light walk leaves me quite sweaty when I have used this and it doesn't work we'll with keeping the smell away.
      This is also described as being invisible but I have found that it leaves white marks on your skin.
      On first impressions it smells pleasant enough- a nice clean smell. I found this to be quite a feminine scent but not too feminine if that makes sense. A nice clean smell
      One good thing I can say about this is that it doesn't irritate my skin at all

This retails at about £3 which is about average for this type of product and it can be picked up from supermarkets such as asda or boots the chemist.

Overall I was very disappointed with this and won't be repurchasing. As I don't want to waste it I have been using it as a "base" scent and spraying deoderant over it. Not something that I think many people could use if they were planing on being active. I think this is the only sanex product EVER that I have tried and disliked - I even like the mens version more (still leaves white marks but at least it leaves you feeling clean for longer)

20.10.2014 18:46

Advantages

• "It is nice and strong "
      • "It smells beautiful "

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

Caudalie Des Vignes EDT

WHAT IS IT?

Perfume that is made by Caudalie, it is a floral perfume called Des Vignes and that means The Vines.

THE BOTTLE

I think this bottle is very attractive and I like that it looks interesting and feminine with it still having a very simple design. It is a spray bottle that is tall and cylinder shaped with pink at the bottom going up to make plain glass at the top and I think it looks very nice.

THE FRAGRANCE

Des Vignes smells very floral and it is strong perfume and very easy to spray on too much even though it is only an eau de toilet, I think eau de parfum in this fragrance would be a lot too overpowering and I would not like for my perfume to be any stronger than this is.

It has got a spicy fragrance also and that is because there is ginger in the perfume and you can smell that it is ginger because the smell is obvious, I think there is a bit of a nutmeg smell also but I can not smell that good enough to be able to tell properly.

The fragrance lasts for a long time and I like that it does not change very much because I like the smell of how it comes out of the bottle and do not like when perfumes change to be completely different after some time, but I know that is what perfumes are supposed to do but I am glad this one does not.

WHAT I THINK

I like this perfume very much and it is my favourite one out of all the Caudalie perfumes I have got. It is very sophisticated and I like that it has got a faint powdery smell because I think that makes the fragrance softer and it helps for the floral fragrance to last better on my skin. I think any lady could wear this perfume even though when you first try it for the very first time you might think that it is old fashioned because of how floral it is but that is not true and I think this is more youthful.

My husband likes me to wear this perfume but he said it is not the nicest one for me to wear and he does not like that the smell of jasmine is so strong because he does not like that fragrance, I can not smell jasmine very much but he is sensitive to that smell.

ANYTHING ELSE

Des Vignes costs £25 for a bottle of 50ml and I think that is very good for such a nice perfume that smells so good.

5 Dooyoo Stars

20.10.2014 18:35

Advantages

• "smells gorgeous"

Disadvantages

orangey gorgeousness!

I recently reviewed clary sage oil and at the same time i bought a bottle of orange as well.
      I bought it in holland and barratts as they had a penny sale on so essentially i paid 1p for this bottle ... total bargain! Even at full price its not one of the expensive oils i think it was around £4 which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

I was looking for an essential oil to put in the bath to make it smell lovely and i was not at all disappointed it smells gorgeous! I put just 2 or 3 drops into a full bath and the scent fills the room easily. Its a lovely rich orange smell that is really refreshing to take a bath in. I have also used it to mix a drop in either a shower gel or body cream and the scent lingers really nicely on the body afterwards ... you smell like oranges all day! I wouldnt recommend using in an face cream though incase it irritates.
      i have also used it on cloth baby wipes just put a drop or two in water and soak the wipes in the solution and it makes the wipes smell lovely and keeps them nice and fresh.

The bottle lasted really well as you only need 2 or 3 drops so its definitely worth the money.

I would really recommend this oil if you are wanting something lovely smelling for your bath or your home as its one of my favourites by far!

20.10.2014 18:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

• stinks

one for the bin!

When i was heavily pregnant and thoroughly fed up with my second baby i was advised to use clary sage oil to help induce labour.

I bought it from holland and barretts and it was pretty expensive for such a small bottle, it cost me around £9 for the bottle. When i got it home and opened it i wished i hadn't its extremely strong smelling and personally it is not a smell i like. I put a few drops in the bath and you could smell it through the whole house, my husband was not amused in the slightest! I put up with the smell coz i was desperate to get the baby out! Unfortunately it made absolutely no difference and just made me stink. I also tries rubbing it on my skin, again nothing and i would not recommend doing it either because it burnt really badly... not a good idea at all!
      The bottle did last a long time, mainly because i didn't like it. Make sure it is kept well out of the way of children too as its one of the most poisonous aromotherapy oils you can buy and the lids are easy to get off!

So to conclude, it does not work at all for helping to bring on labour if thats what you are thinking of buying it off, so unless you like the smell i really wouldn't bother buying it especially as its pretty expensive and i ended up just binning what was left of it!

• World Cheeses / Recipe / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      20.10.2014 18:16

Advantages

• "Calcium "
      • "Very tasty "

Disadvantages

• "High fat content "

Cheesy!

Like most people I love the food that is bad for me and this includes cheese! When I was growing up the only cheese I can ever remember eating was cheddar or occasionally a little red Leicester and at Christmas dad would have some stinking stilton! But now I am an adult and more adventurous with my food I have had the chance to try many different cheeses. Here are my favourite world cheeses:
      Feta – I fell in love with Feta cheese on my first visit to Greece around 10 years ago. It is a crumbly cheese originating from Greece made from sheep’s milk and has a salty taste. My favourite way to eat this cheese is in a simple Greek salad.
      Halloumi – This is a cheese I have most recently become familiar with and one that again is from Greece although also very popular in Turkey and Cyprus. This is quite a hard cheese and also has a salty taste but has a high melting point so is perfect to grill or fry. I especially enjoy this cheese grilled on grilled vegetable scewers.
      Mozzarella – A very delicately flavoured cheese originating in Italy. This cheese is most commonly used for topping pizzas but also makes an excellent addition to a salad or with tomatoes on bruchetta.
      Brie – Originating from France this is a soft cheese covered in a edible rind. This cheese is tasty eaten as it is, added to salads or baked in the oven and used as a dipping cheese.
      Camembert – Another soft cheese from France slightly similar to Brie but normally a slightly stronger taste. This cheese normally comes in small wheel which again can be eaten alone or baked in the oven to use as a dip.

• Radox Relax Bath Soak / Bath & Shower / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      20.10.2014 17:39

Advantages

• " moisturises skin"
      • "Good bubbles"

Disadvantages

• "Not a strong aroma"

Disappointingly weak lavender smell but good bubbles

Radox Relax Bath Soak.
      Tall clear oblong plastic bottle.
      500 mls and now made by Unilever but still under the Radox brand name.
      'feel good fragrance' and use within 12 months.
      Deep purple transparent liquid.
      Transparent labels front and back.
      'A relaxing blend with lavender and waterlily.'
      If liquid gets into eyes rinse well.

===Cost===
      1.50 at present in Tesco but I bought them on buy one get one free.

===The Smell===
      Another Radox soak that does not have a very strong aroma. The soak does smell vaguely of lavender and floral when the water is running into the bath but then it seems to disappear. However the room does smell very pleasant afterwards.

===The Bubbles===
      Radox soaks all provide good long lasting bubbles which cover the entire bath and stay until you have finished bathing.

===Relaxing Blend?===
      Lavender is renowned for its relaxing properties but as the smell was so faint it did not really provide anything more relaxing for me than any other bubble bath.

===Your Skin===
      The bath soak does have moisturising properties and you can feel it on your skin when you are trying to dry yourself afterwards.

===My Conclusion===
      This Relax soak is a very pretty shade of deep purple and looks attractive on the windowsill.
      Not much of the liquid is needed to provide a lovely bath full of bubbles.
      The soak also leaves your skin feeling nice and soft and in my case I do not need to use a body lotion as well.
      However it is marketed as being a 'relaxing soak' and although it contains lavender the smell is too faint to be of benefit for me, also I am not sure what having 'waterlily' adds to the aroma at all.
      Lavender does provide a lovely smell but this si just not strong enough – so do not think men will find this too feminine as it is not that strong.
      A bit of a disappointment as I was hoping for more of a lovely relaxing aroma while I was soaking in the bath.

===Star Rating===
      3 stars. Hardly no aroma and not really very 'relaxing'.

===Would I Recommend?===

===Website===
      www.radox.co.uk

• TimeTalk.co.uk / Telecommunications Service / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      20.10.2014 17:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

just dont do it

On no circumstances enter into a contract with time talk unless you want to sit on the phone to them for 45 mins plus and they do not honour contracts agreed over the phone.

• Vegetables / Recipe / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      20.10.2014 16:48

Advantages

• "Tasty "
      • "Quick "
      • "Use up leftover veg"

Disadvantages

• "Wind "

Bubble & Sprouts!

I love vegetables and will eat any. I do a lot of cooking from scratch and will always try and incorporate some vegetable into my main meal whether this is including in the recipe of as a side dish. One of my favourite vegetables although it is one hated by many is the good old Brussel sprout. I love them whether they are incorporated into a recipe or just boiled and served plain I think they are yummy. But one of my favourite things to do with Brussels is to make bubble and squeak with them which is perfect if you have left over sprouts especially at Christmas.

Ingredients
      Potatoes peeled and chopped
      Boiled or left over cooked Brussel sprouts
      1 onion
      Bacon
      Salt & Pepper

Method
      1. Boil the potatoes until soft and mash with a little added salt and pepper (they don’t have to be extra smooth and no need to add butter or milk).
      2. Chop the onion and bacon into small pieces and add to a pan with a little butter to cook.
      3. Break up the boiled or left over sprouts and add into the mash with the onion and bacon and mix.
      4. Shape the mixture into round patties and dip into a little flour.
      5. Fry the patties in the same pan the bacon and onion was cooked in (you may need to add a little oil) until golden brown and heated through as this will give the bubble and squeak a lovely flavour.

I love bubble and squeak and remember my mum always making it after Christmas and serving it with the leftover meats and pickles. It is a lovely comfort food, a great way to use up leftover sprouts and is very yummy. I also like to serve it with pork and cider sauce. You can also use cabbage or half cabbage and half brussles or add other vegetables such as broccoli or carrots for a change and for vegetarians just omit the bacon as this is

20.10.2014 16:48

Advantages

• Light-hearted
      • "Good plot"
      • "Fun characters"

Disadvantages

• "Not much background plot progression"
      • "Some annoying characters"
      • Repetitive

Stephanie Plum's eighteenth venture into bounty-hunting.

Although I find the Stephanie Plum books good, after reading 18 of the 21 currently published, they are becoming very repetitive.
      As Stephanie is a bounty hunter, the main plot will always revolve somewhat around her chasing bad guys and finding herself in all kinds of trouble in the process. This happens with any long series, but there needs to be other aspects of the books that make each book actually worth reading
      I have started to realise that it would be quite possible to miss one or two of the series and not actually notice, because the background plots are always very similar. This isn't automatically a bad thing, but thete are only so many times you can laugh at Stephanie's grandmother insisting on carrying a gun, enjoying visits to the funeral home and annoying her son-in-law. There are only so many ways Stephanie can lose or ruin cars or try and decide between two men - to be honest, she just needs to make her mind up now because at times she has started to come across as a shallow and not very nice person.

Despite all of the above, I do strongly recommend these books, although it would be best to start from the first in the series. They are a good, funny read and surprisingly light-hearted, even on the occasions where something violent or gory is taking place - dead bodies crop up frequently.
      For fans of Stephanie Plum, this book provides exactly what is to be expected, so don't expect any radical progession from the others. However, if you are a fan, this will probably not bother you.

20.10.2014 16:01

Advantages

• "High ISO"
      • Durability
      • Settings
      • Battery
      • "HD Video"
      • Grip
      • "Pop-Out Rotatable Touch-Screen"
      • Price

Disadvantages

• "Video Grain"
      • "Too Similar to 650D"
      • Lens
      • Flash

Enter, The Professional

Without a lens, it is severely chuckable - so lightweight its almost worth worrying about its legibility as a canon product. Most of the body is covered in a solid industrial resin feeling material along with some rubberized, leather-like grip around the right hand area and left steadying part. You get a fairly standard shooting mode wheel with the usual suspects. The Shutter button is well located and has good compression for delicate focusing, to taking the shot. The Buttons are laid out in default positions, optimized for ease and speed. A pleasant addition is the removal of video from the mode dial and instead a further notch on the on/off switch, along with a button that acts as record for video mode and live preview in photo. There's the standard dial for ISO setting scrolling, navigation plus the same lens and flash release buttons. Battery life is quite impressive - around 5 hours.

Possibly the greatest part of the camera, the touchscreen is one handy little addition. Swipe photos, select camera settings and press and hold to focus on set points or faces and the real bonus being the swiveling rotations it can pull off. Boasts 11 different sections, all in the same layout as previous models so it's simple enough to navigate. It's worth mentioning that the software that comes with the camera new features a very useful application called 'Digital Photo Professional'. Easily the worst part of the package, the lens equipped feels cheap and chinsy as if found in a happy meal. It's only saving grace being the field of view. If you can find a body-only variant I suggest you do so as the standard lens included is as bad as they come. You can choose from 4 recording sizes - 640x25fps, 1280x50fps, 1920x24fps or 1920x25fps. Audio is average all things considered, then again there is that mic slot for improved sound as long as you have the equipment.

With a decent lens equipped, you'll be impressed. Depth of field being a real strong point and high clarity results. In comparison to later, cheaper models, the very sound of the shutter is instantly more gratifying and chunky sounding. Thanks to the plethora of in-camera effects and filters, images can be cleaned and perfected before you take them off the card. Red Eye can be dealt with also, as can altering light. Images themselves can be upwards of 10MB and the RAW's twice that. Problems arise when in low light. Worst of all though is the flash - the camera releases a short burst of about 4 quick flashes whilst focusing, before taking the shot - this can be extremely unpleasant as it not only tricks your audience into believe you've taken several photographs, so they relax/move, but it also acts as some kind of blinding, epileptic fit inducing strobe light. It does this so it can get its bearings for focusing on a subject. There's minimal changes from the previous model. 500 word cap...

20.10.2014 15:55

Advantages

• "Very cheaply priced"
      • "Easy to swallow"
      • "Work brilliantly on milder pain"

Disadvantages

• "Pain killing effects didn't last long"

A new brand on me, but a decent paracetamol

I had some dental work done recently that left me with some swelling to my face, I was in quite a bit of pain and rather unluckily had run out of painkillers - I had plenty of ibuprofen but as my mouth was too painful for me to eat I was unable to take these (you need something in your stomach when taking ibuprofen to prevent some pretty nasty side effects). I called my partner and asked him to bring some paracetamol home and he came back with this cheap looking blue box from Galpharm, which apparently is the brand stocked in our local Nisa store.

There are sixteen caplets in a box, each containing 500mg paracetamol, and the box is labelled as them being 'easy to swallow' - I have no problems whatsoever swallowing tablets and found these as easy as any other, they're thin enough to be dry swallowed but I would advise having a drink with them to wash the tablets down.

In terms of speed I thought these worked in around the same time as any other paracetamol, the effects of keeping my mouth pain-free didn't last for as long as hoped and I ended up having to take some ibuprofen after all due to the fact that two hours after popping two of these paracetamol my mouth was on fire again. This could have been down to the fact that the pain was reasonably intense, but I would have expected the tablets to have been more long lasting than this. Considering you can only take them every four hours, a two hour window of pain relief isn't brilliant really.

I have since taken two for a mild headache and they zapped it completely, the headache disappeared a few minutes after taking the paracetamol and didn't come back which is an absolute bonus and makes me inclined to say these tablets will work on minor pain but struggle to keep a hold of more severe ouchies.

27p for a box of paracetamol is on a par with what the supermarkets charge for their similar size boxes and I think that's excellent, excellent too that Nisa now sell generic medicines and painkillers as before Galpharm were available there you were stuck paying Nurofen and Panadol prices simply because that was all they sold. Galpharm make a range of other painkiller-type products, I've used a couple of their other items and have been impressed with the quality and low price so I'll definitely look to this brand again if (when!) I need to.

• Flapjack / Recipe / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.10.2014 15:55

Advantages

• "Versitile "
      • "Cheap "
      • "Easy to make "

Disadvantages

• "Calories "

Not just for Jack!

I used to bake frequently with my mother when I was a child and one of the first things that I remember baking was flapjacks. Basic flapjacks are very easy to make and quite cheap as they only take a few basic ingredients but the recipe can be adapted to making all different flavour combinations.

Basic Flapjacks
      800 kg porridge oats
      200g cornflakes crushed
      750g butter
      450g golden syrup
      500g soft brown sugar

Method

1. Pre heat oven to 160C or Gas mark 3, grease and line a baking tray.
      2. Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a pan and heat gently until melted.
      3. Place the oats and crushed corn flakes into a bowl, pour over the heated butter mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
      4. Pour mixture into the baking tray and spread out evenly. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes.
      5. The flapjacks will appear to be very soft when taken out of the oven but this is right and they should be covered and left to fully cool before being removed from the pan.
      6. Once fully cooled the flapjacks can be cut into squares.

Variations
      I love to add dried fruit to these flapjacks apricots or sultanas and glazed cherries work really well. You can also add chopped nuts, chocolate chips or even top the flapjacks in chocolate once cooled for a more indulgent treat. The addition of the cornflakes makes the flapjacks a little crunchy which I love but for a softer bake you can replace the cornflakes with more oats, either way they are delicious.

• Barry M Gelly Nail Effects / Make Up / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.10.2014 15:53

Advantages

• "thick formula"
      • "easy to apply"
      • "gorgeous shine"

Disadvantages

shiny, cheap and lasts!

I have always loved barrym nail polishes since i was a teen so when they released the gelly formula i was keen to give it a go. When they were first released i honestly wasn't crazy about many of the colours but their new autumn colours for 2014 are just gorgeous and much more up my alley.
      Most recently i bought a gorgeous fall mustard colour and a deep brown colour called cocoa. I bought mine from superdrug and paid £3.99 a bottle for them which is a great price for a nail polish so definitely no complaints there! They are easy to pick up in boots and online too.
      The bottle is square which makes it easier to hold whilst painting your nails and the lid gives good grip too. The brush is a nice size and easily allows you to paint your nail in three strokes. The formula is gorgeous and thick and slicks on really well. I find 2 coats is perfect in any of the shades to get a super intense colour and you could probably get away with one if you were in a rush. The polish dries in average time for a polish and it is super high shine when it dries, it looks just like a professional gel polish, i was really impressed for a high street brand.
      It lasts fairly well, i got 3 days totally chip free which is good going as i am a mum of 3 young children so constantly using my hands and have them in and out of water. A top coat would probably help make it last even longer.
      Its easy to take off and ive not had any problems with it staining my nails either.

This is one of my favourite nail polishes by far and is my go to for high shine pretty nails!

20.10.2014 15:45

Advantages

• "Provides extra comfort"
      • "Provides extra support for baby"
      • "Easy to wipe clean"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive for what it is"

Adds to baby's comfort at mealtimes

This highchair insert was given to us by our sister-in-law when she was clearing out her spare room. To be honest, if we hadn’t acquired it in this way, it isn’t something I would have bothered buying, although it has come in useful for a short spell when my son was too small to sit in the high chair without looking a bit lost and wobbly! It retails for £14.99 at Mothercare.
      The insert has an easy wipe clean PVC coating, which is designed to catch any spills and make it easier to clean up. The centre is foam so it is also designed with the baby’s comfort in mind. It contains gaps for the highchair’s straps to fit through, and is brightly coloured with pictures of apples and pears to liven up baby’s highchair. It is compatible with various Mothercare highchairs, but ours was from Ikea and it fit well in that too, so I would imagine it will fit most models.
      We used this insert when my son was little, to give his back a little extra support in the highchair. He sometimes used to fall back in the chair when he was tired, and obviously when eating you need baby to sit up properly, so this helped solved the problem. I think it also made the chair more comfortable, so instead of sitting on a plastic chair, he was sitting on the foam insert instead.
      In use, the insert is very easy to clean. Most times I just used to wipe it down whilst it was still in the chair, but occasionally I would get it out and give it a proper clean to make sure there was no food hiding in any nooks and crannies. As my son got bigger, the insert seemed to be taking too much space in the high chair, so we removed it, and eventually bought him a bigger chair.
      Although this insert came in handy, I wouldn’t have paid full price for it, as I think it is expensive for what it is, especially considering that in the end we bought a highchair with a padded seat which meant the entire thing was easy to wipe clean and also comfortable for baby. But having said that, if you were to acquire a highchair second hand that needed a cushion, I guess this is cheaper than buying a new chair. Four stars from me.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown