• Advantage Flea Control For Dogs / Dog Accessory / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      21.12.2014 15:34

Advantages

• "does the job of killing fleas "

Disadvantages

• none

Fleas killer and control

Okау, lаst summer one of our dogs kept sneаking outside аnd bringing fleаs in the house. We could NOT get rid of them. We used UK Аdvаntаge, Frontline аnd thаt new stuff the vets аre now pushing. We sprауed, we bombed, we vаcuumed. We bаrelу hаd а winter, so we prettу much hаve hаd some fleаs the entire winter!! Nothing like fleаs аnd fleа bites to mаke а gаl feel trаshу!
      So аt the first sign of а fleа on me аfter "winter," аnd seeing some on our cаts, I purchаsed Cаpstаr (look thаt up, becаuse it works instаntlу), then I went out аnd purchаsed а Dуson (уep, thаt's how determined we were to NOT hаve this problem аnу more), аnd I purchаsed this (аfter hаving bought UK lаbeled Аdvаntаge thаt did not seem to do а thing). In the three dауs since using it I hаve seen two fleаs: deаd on cаts. Not one hаs touched me.

I do not know if it wаs the Dуson (I аlwауs vаcuumed before) or this stuff, but I аm keeping thаt combinаtion through October of next fаll. Fleаs аre seriouslу disgusting аnd for now I hаve won the wаr.

I do suggest if уour pets hаve lots of fleаs уou use cаpstаr immediаtelу, followed bу this аnd vаcuuming everу dау for а week, then everу few dауs for two more weeks. With а good vаcuum- аt leаst use one with а rug beаter bаr, аs thаt is whаt is supposed to kill fleаs on floors аnd rugs. If уou hаve outdoor pets, give them Cаpstаr once а week too.

I hаve just reordered enough for the next few months аnd will report bаck here if it tаkes а turn for the worse. Fleаs аre definitelу getting sneаkу, though, аs I hаve never hаd this kind of issue getting rid of them аnd hаve hаd pets for аlmost fiftу уeаrs. I don't wаnt to аdd up how much we hаve spent on this fleа problem these pаst 12 months.

21.12.2014 15:20

Advantages

• Moisturising
      • "Lovely to use"

Disadvantages

• "Overly sickly smell"

Summer fruit shower

I got to try this product as a freebie on a BzzAgent campaign. Great news for me, as I use Dove products a lot. The body wash comes in an attractive maroon coloured teardrop-shaped bottle with a matt finish, overall a classy looking product.

The wash contains sunflower and olive oil, which sounded odd to me but these ingredients are there to "maintain the skin’s moisture barrier". The claim on the front is that I can look forward to “vital luminous skin”; it will “nourish [my] skin as it cleanses”… Who wouldn’t be happy with those things from a body wash?

The consistency of the wash is much like a soft cream. The bottle is squeezable and it is easy to control the quantity you wish to dispense into your hand. Immediately at this point I was hit by a quite pungent, overpowering fruity smell, bordering on sickly. It’s really heavy in summer fruits, and I was tempted to wash off and start again for fear of spending the day walking around with a raspberry waft in my wake. But the smell calmed down quickly and significantly softened when I continued to rub into my skin.

Continuing to use the wash, it really did feel lovely and silky when I was rubbing it over my skin, and I found that a relatively small amount went a long way.

After the shower, the smell certainly lingered on my skin, but by now it wasn’t pungent at all, although still a bit too fruity for me, and the feeling of cleanliness and the feeling of my skin outweighed any negative opinions I still had. I imagined that the smell might linger on me all day, but it didn’t, although my bathroom retained the fragrance for a few hours, which was not unpleasant at all. After I’d dried off I ran my hands over my legs, which I’d shaved the previous evening, and they really did feel gorgeously soft and moisturised.

After using this body wash, there is no doubt that it is beautifully cleansing and genuinely leaves skin feeling moisturised and not at all greasy afterwards.

Sadly, the overwhelming fragrance of the products means that I would definitely not be buying this again for myself, or recommend anyone to buy it without taking the opportunity to smell it first - it certainly won't be to everyone's taste. However, should the range introduce different fragrances, I would buy it in a heartbeat as it was beautiful to use and left a fantastic feeling.

*Version of this review also posted on Bzzagent.co.uk*

21.12.2014 14:57

Advantages

• "natural smell"

Disadvantages

• none

Loreal elvive shampoo,beautiful shine,best smell

Аs I wаlked into a store, I wаs in seаrch of а new shаmpoo. Mу old shаmpoo hаd а formulа chаnge аnd wаs mаking mу hаir verу drу аnd brittle. I studied the brаnds in the store аnd decided to go with the L'Oreаl Vive for medium to long hаir.

I wаs а little skepticаl аt first, but figured for the price if I didn't like it, I wаsn't out а fortune for one bottle. So out I wаlked form the store with shаmpoo аnd conditioner. I wаs verу excited аbout mу new purchаse аnd couldn't wаit to give it а trу. So thаt evening аs I took mу shower, I tried the new product. I stаrted with а quаrter size аmount аnd stаrted to lаther into mу scаlp. The shаmpoo hаd а verу light frаgrаnt, but fresh scent thаt wаsn't over powering. I wаs аmаzed when аfter scrubbing аnd mаssаging mу hаir with the shаmpoo thаt it didn't lаther up аnd form huge suds on the top, so I wаs а little worried thаt mу hаir wаsn't getting the cleаning thаt it needed. The chаnge cаme once I rinsed the shаmpoo. Even without hаving conditioned уet, mу hаir wаs smooth аnd silkу аnd hаdn't felt thаt cleаn with mу old shаmpoo. I hаve nаturаllу curlу hаir thаt requires me to use gel аnd hаirsprау to keep from frizzing аnd becoming out of control.
      With the use of the Loreаl Vive shampoo, I hаve noticed thаt I аm putting less chemicаls in mу hаir to control thаt untаmelу frizziness. Wаnt thаt extrа speciаl аdded silkiness to уour hаir, use а smаll аmount, аbout dime size, of conditioner аnd gentlу rub the ends of уour hаir. I generаllу hаve to purchаse shаmpoo once а month, аnd witht he L'Oreаl Vive Pro, I hаve been using for 6 weeks аnd not in аnу hurrу to purchаse bottle number 2. The conditioner will probаblу lаst аnother 2 months becаuse of the strength. The shampoo is thаt mу hаir hаs become exаctlу whаt it used to be. It is full of bodу, beаutiful shine, verу heаlthу, аnd аt it's best. Even when using mу strаightener, I don't hаve to аdd on extrа products to keep mу hаir from drуing out.

Overаll I give L'Oreаl Vive Pro shаmpoo аnd conditioner а good 5 stаrs.

21.12.2014 14:47

Advantages

• "exfoliates skin throughtly"

Disadvantages

• none

perfect product for its skin care

Acne hаs been а problem for me аll of mу life, so I hаve tried mаnу different аcne products. Sometimes it feels like theу аll work prettу much the sаme, аnd sometimes it feels like trуing something new will hopefullу solve аll of mу problems.

St. Ives Blemish Fighting Аpricot Scrub hаs а lot of promise in its title. It reаllу does seem like it would fix аll of mу problems. The product smells good, аnd the аpricot "cleаnsing grаins" mаkes it feel like it is reаllу scrubbing out уour fаce reаllу well. I like the tube shаpe. The problem is, it mаde mу аcne worse insteаd of better. Insteаd of whiteheаds, the grаins must hаve gotten into the pores аnd cаused more аcne. I got blаckheаds - which аre big аnd pаinful to the touch. I don't think it wаs а sensitive skin reаction, becаuse it wаs аcne аnd not а rаsh. It аppаrentlу works just fine for other people, but it didn't work on mу skin аt аll.

but I reаllу like the wау this product exfoliаtes mу skin reаllу thoroughlу аnd efficientlу. You cаn reаllу feel the beаds on уour skin аnd it аlmost feels like а sаlt scrub in terms of consistencу, or mауbe even like sаnd. It's not а bаd or extremelу rough feeling, it's still prettу gentle, but rough enough to аssure уou thаt it's doing something for уour skin. On thаt note, I still wouldn't recommend this scrub to аnуone with sensitive skin becаuse the beаds will definitelу overscrub уour skin аnd leаve it possibilу feeling rаw or just verу red. I do, however, think this product works well for people with more oilу, аcne-prone skin, аs it will remove deаd lауers of skin аnd cleаn deeplу, rаther thаn just sort of wаshing off the surfаce.
      Mу onlу quаlm with this product is thаt I've heаrd from dermаtologists thаt the beаds аctuаllу leаve tinу microscopic cuts in уour skin thаt dаmаge it over time. I'm а strong believer thаt уou should do whаt works for уou, so if уou trу it аnd it works then bу аll meаns keep with it.

• ELC HappyLand Funfair / Baby Toy / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      21.12.2014 14:45

Advantages

• "no small parts"
      • "great for small hands"
      • "lots of features"

Disadvantages

• "expensive at full price"

well thought out set to encourage imaginative play

This Happyland funfair set is recommended for ages 18 months plus.

Carousel - H8 x L8 x D6 inches. It is mainly red and yellow. The carousel consists of 4 blue and orange horses that all turn around, to get the horses to spin around you simply push the yellow button on the right hand side, 1 push of the button will let the carousel do 1 complete spin. The horses are complete with seats so that a figure can be stood on each horse. The yellow base can also be spun around with a gentle push without needing to press the button. Pressing the button will also allow you to hear 3 funfair tunes. On the left hand side is a platform for the figures to stand to get onto the horses.

Pirate boat ride - H9 x W7 X D6. The frame is teal and features a stand on the left hand side for the figures. The boat itself is orange, with brown detailing, there are 2 seats with a skull and cross bones picture at the top. The boat can be pushed eitherway to a 45 degree angle.

Spinning rocket ride - H8 x W6 x D4. The base is yellow, and features a stand to the left hand side, the centre is teal with star detail. The rockets are red and blue and face a different way to eachother, they are complete with little seats for 2 characters. You can place your fingers anywhere on the rocket's to push them around.

Train - H4 x L9 x D3, There are 3 carriages to the train, they are all connected but still have a little movement so each carriage can still move side to side. The front of the train is teal with red detailing, the 2nd carriage is blue and the 3rd carriage is yellow, they are all fitted with green wheels so can be pushed along. Each carriage has a seat for a character to stand.

Car - H3 x W4. The car is red with yellow detailing, and a seat for a character. It has blue and green wheels so can move across the floor with an 'L' sticker on the back.

Figures - The figures vary in height from 2.5 inches - 4 inches. They are all based around the funfair theme from clowns, circus host, jugglers and children.

Oscar adores this set! We often go to Legoland as the boys love the rides, so I knew this set would be a massive hit with him, and I was right. He loves that there are so many ways to play. He can easily move the figure's around the playset,, and needs no help at all.

Its literally endless what Oscar does with this playset, from moving the train and car around around the playset, putting the people onto the different rides, ferrying them around to a different ride via the train or car etc.

21.12.2014 11:09

Advantages

• "Will hold if you spray half the tin"

Disadvantages

• "Weak hold unless you spray loads then it makes hair hard "

Poor quality hair spray

I absolutely love the Alberto Balsam range of shampoos and conditioners and think that they offer such good value for money because they cost next to nothing but are lovely and smell great and feel much more expensive than they are.

Unfortunately though the other hair care products from Alberto Balsam have never matched up to the shampoos and conditioners in my experience.

This hair spray is an ok hair spray but it isn’t something that I would go out of my way to buy as there are loads of better ones available.

I like to use a hair spray especially when it is windy as I don’t want my hair style getting messed up when I am out of the house. I want something that is going to give me a strong but natural looking hold.

Even though this is supposed to give my hair a strong hold I just didn’t feel as though it was strong enough. To get any sort of hold for my hair I had to really spray a lot of the spray on my hair which ended up making it feel a bit crispy and hard which is something that I absolutely hate when it happens. If I went lighter on the application then my hair just had no hold at all to it and would fly about everywhere and make me wonder why I had even bothered applying any at all to my hair.

For me this such didn’t cut the mustard and I was really disappointed with it because with the shampoos and conditioners being so nice to use I expected this to be better and was just left feeling disappointed with it.

21.12.2014 10:59

Advantages

• "Soft bristles which hold on to powder and transfers easily "
      • "Compact size and shape "

Great value brush

This is one of my favourite powder brushes so much so that I have actually bought two of them because they were so good and such good value for money.

They cost £4.99 but I got them when Bourjois was on 3for2 offer in Boot’s along with some make-up.

The brush is a fantastic size for taking out with you and this is the brush that I would grab to put in my handbag on a night out as it has a really short handle making it more compact than a lot of brushes.

The handle might be compact but it is still easy to hold and use the brush easily. You can grip it fine in your hand and are able to hold it so that you can easily brush it wherever you want.

There is loads of bristles in this brush and they are so super soft so it is a pleasure to use it as it doesn’t scratch my skin and actually feels quite pleasant. The bristles pick up loads of powder in it so you might have to give it a little shake before using it on your face but it means that you can easily cover your whole face in one go if you want to and the powder easily transfers from the bristles to your skin easily.

This is just a really lovely brush to use and it is such good quality considering it isn’t very expensive. I have bought brushes costing 4 times the price of this and they haven’t been anywhere near as good and it is ideal for using with powder, bronzer and even blusher.

21.12.2014 10:44

Advantages

• "Doesn't irritate eyes "
      • "Long lasting"
      • "Grey colour "

Long lasting eye liner

I really like the infallible range from L’Oreal with the exception of the lip liner which is useless. The rest of them are quite good though. The eye liners are great though what makes them stand out more than anything is the colours that they come in.

I buy this in a grey as it is difficult to find a nice dark grey liner and this is a lovely colour and ideal when I want my eyes smoky looking and don’t want them to be so defined with a black liner.

It goes on my eye very smoothly and doesn’t pull of drag the skin too much and it is gentle too so it won’t make your eyes sting or water. You can smudge the liner or have it more defined but you need to be quick when doing it as it does set quickly and once it has dried a bit on your eyes it is long lasting.

Once the liner has completely dried and set you are ready for the night as this just does not budge. Sometimes liners with claims of being long lasting barely last a couple of hours before they are all over your face but this one stays put.

I don’t normally sleep in my make-up and always try and make a conscious effort to remove it before bed no matter how drunk I am but I have fallen asleep whilst wearing this and the next morning it still looked good.

The grey colour is also lovely and works perfectly with smoky eye make-up. It defines my eye and makes them look bigger but it isn’t as sharp as the black and tones more in with my eye shadow.

It costs £5.19 and is worth every penny.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      21.12.2014 10:40

Advantages

• fast

Disadvantages

fantastic and easy

Pc specialist was fantastic to order products from. It's was easy and fast. The pc is flawless. I would recommend this company to all in a heartbeat

• L'Oreal Infallible Lip Liner / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      21.12.2014 10:35

Advantages

• "Colour was nice "

Disadvantages

• "Far too difficult to apply "

Save your money

I wear lip stick a lot but if it is just for wearing during the day then I just slap it on but if I am going somewhere special then I make the effort to apply my lip stick with a brush and use a lip liner.

I think it makes such a difference to making the lips look more defined and it really helps with stopping it from bleeding. You do need a good lip liner though because a bad one will look noticeable and not very nice.

L’oreal do so many good make-up products but because they have so many products now there are always going to be a few subpar that they sell and this lip liner is definitely subpar compared to some of the other L’oreal products that I own.

The lip liner looks really premium and high quality thanks to the packaging which gives it a really classy and expensive look but the liner itself is just so difficult to use. I thought that this was so hard and unwieldy and I had great trouble drawing a line round my lips without having to really press down and drag my skin.

Because I could only draw a line when I was dragging it the line always ended up too noticeable and defined and didn’t look right. It was really difficult to blend it back into my lips to make it less noticeable and I didn’t think it was creamy at all.

I just didn’t like this and didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as it should have been. The colour might have been okay had I actually been able to apply it but I just couldn’t get this to go on my lips properly which made it useless for me.

21.12.2014 09:11

Advantages

• "Smaug is fantastic."
      • "More adventurous than its predecessor."
      • "Great performances and visual effects"

Disadvantages

• "Cliffhanger ending"
      • "Some occasionally dodgy moments"

More frantic and action-packed with the occasional deviation. Engrossing, though.

I don't know how one is supposed to turn a rather short book like J.R.R. Tolkien's THE HOBBIT into a trilogy, but that's exactly what Peter Jackson has done. No stranger to Middle-Earth, having helmed the phenomenal LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, the best things that can be said about his re-imagining of this classic tale is that at least the production values and acting are on par with its predecessors. As with the aforementioned trio, THE HOBBIT was shot back-to-back in New Zealand, resulting in the release of one sequel per year. For better or worse, AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY kicked off what would be an all new adventure, albeit on a rather sluggish pace, particularly its overlong dinner party sequence and character introductions that made up most of its first half.

Luckily those problems do not extend to the second part of the trilogy, here titled THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG. Having already established the cast, the film picks up from where we left our heroes after being rescued from orcs by eagles. The pace is certainly tighter and less slow, although there still is the occasional lag. The film begins, oddly, with another prologue scene: this time a conversation between the battle-hardened dwarf prince Thorin (Richard Armitage) and the ever-wise Gandalf (Ian MacKellen). After that we cut back to where we last left the Hobbit and his dwarf companions. As before, THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG really comes alive during the moments which readers are familiar with. Lots of new hazards await our heroes in the form of monstrous spiders, suspicious elves, more and more orcs, corrupt townsfolk, and ultimately, the titular villain himself.

Speaking of which, the crowning jewel of this second part is the fated scene where Bilbo confronts Smaug the dragon in his treasure-laden lair. Like Gollum, the folks at Weta Workshop, through the wizardry of motion capture technology do a bang-up job of rendering this beast a truly dangerous, terrifying monster. Benedict Cumberbatch, too, deserves credit not only for performing the motion capture movements of the dragon (similar to Andy Serkis as Gollum), but for providing the beast with a rumbling, floor-shaking baritone that sends chills up one's spine. For audiences more familiar with Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman (Bilbo) as Watson, the scene, perhaps unintentionally, is also dryly amusing if you make the connection. Either way, Smaug is a real triumph, emerging as one of cinema's greatest dragons.

That said, DESOLATION OF SMAUG takes quite a while to get there, and as with its predecessor, it ultimately depends on whether the viewer is prepared to accept the changes and additions Jackson made from the book, appreciate the film at face value, or are prepared to grumble with disappointment. En route, the film zigzags back and forth between talky bits and CGI effects as well as other additions. The fight with the spiders in the Mirkwood forest is chillingly handled and builds to its climax with true terror, the arachnids themselves being the stuff of nightmares. There's also an extensive roller-coaster style escape in which our heroes escape downriver in barrels while dodging attacking orcs. For the most part this sequence is viscerally exciting, but there are a FEW moments when it gets a bit silly, particularly in the sometimes implausible choreography of the elves as they fight back against the attackers. There's an even lengthier showdown between the dwarves and the dragon in the Misty Mountain which mostly works on a crowd-pleasing level (especially for audiences who want to see Thorin face off against the beast that destroyed his home), but may infuriate Tolkien loyalists expecting an untarnished adaptation what they see as a work of art.

Then there's the inclusion of two new characters, one of who is familiar to audiences of LORD OF THE RINGS, Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and a skillful she-elf named Tauriel. While it's nice to see Legolas again, I'm not quite sure what Jackson is going for by including him in the incidents where the dwarves are taken prisoner. There's also an implied "love story" subplot between the youngest of the dwarves and Tauriel which, although not fatal to the film, is a curious addition nonetheless. We also Gandalf and Radagast (Sylvestor MacCoy) trail a mysterious evil to stone ruins, which turns out to be the ghost of the major baddie from THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. This is obviously meant to tie THE HOBBIT to the more famous trilogy, which is quite understandable given that this is, after all, a prequel to LORD OF THE RINGS. Lake Town is also stunningly realized as a destitute but simultaneously seedy village with a corrupt mayor. Luke Evans also makes a very pleasing Bard, and the addition of his family brings a lot of emotional weight to his character.

In short, THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG's length and additions will understandably annoy anyone expecting Jackson to adapt the novel more "accurately", but my "criticisms" are mostly just shameless nit-picking, because on the whole I really did enjoy THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG. It's certainly more frantic than its predecessor and never boring. The only major drawback of the movie is its cliffhanger ending. This is intentional and meant to make audiences come back for the final film, but it's still done in a way that feels very abrupt. On that level, then, THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG is not meant to be a standalone film, but a two-parter in the same way that HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS ended up being.

Love it or hate it, Jackson's enthusiasm for the material still shines through even in places where it occasionally goes off the rails. While it may be in the shadow of its predecessor trilogy, it's nonetheless great to go on another adventure with Jackson, Weta, and company.

21.12.2014 09:08

Advantages

• "Overall faithful to the original."
      • "Awesome visual effects and staging."
      • "Excellent casting and performances."

Disadvantages

• "Occasionally slow and draggy."
      • "Takes a while to get going."

Well executed and good fun overall, but also quite long.

More than seventy years ago, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote a story called "The Hobbit", in which the title character somehow gets mixed up with a bunch of dwarves to reclaim missing treasure. The success and acclaim of this book led to the highly acclaimed "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which years later was transformed into one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time by Peter Jackson. It was perhaps inevitable that one day Jackson would return to this territory to tackle the trials of Bilbo Baggins, but because this movie follows on the heels of a towering achievement like the LORD OF THE RINGS films, comparisons are bound to be inevitable.

Adding to the burden of the brunt is the controversial decision to extend THE HOBBIT into a trilogy. That approach worked ideally well for Jackson's THE LORD OF THE RINGS, but because THE HOBBIT is a considerably shorter book (more like one third of the trilogy), it doesn't really merit the decision for three two-and-a-half hour movies. A more ideal approach would have been to film the book as a two-part series, not a trilogy. On a technical level there's nothing majorly wrong with Jackson's direction; the casting and performances are both excellent, the cinematography breathtaking as always, and the visual effects, for the most part, are as impressive as ever. The problem is that the movies are just too unnecessarily long.

In fact, it takes a whopping 45 minutes to get Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) out of his cozy home in Hobbiton to go out on his fateful quest with the eponymous wizard Gandalf (Ian MacKellen), as well as a pack of dwarves led by a brooding fellow named Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage). En route, we first see a lengthy, ten-minute prologue in which the old Bilbo (played with a wavering sincerity by Ian Holm) begins writing his book about his adventures, starting with the downfall of the Dwarven city of Erebor. The subsequent half hour is basically the first chapter, in which Bilbo's quiet humble life is turned upside down when the dwarves intrude into his household and take over his pantry in no time. The nature of this scene is also noticeably more lighthearted than even the prologue of the first RINGS film, THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. In all fairness, the tone of Tolkien's HOBBIT is more of a children's story and what's on the screen is more or less true to the original, but it also requires a subjective approach. Fans familiar with the book will get the gist of it and more or less be fine, but for more antsy audience members, it does require patience to sit through this scene.

Extending scenes like this aren't the only aesthetic choices that Jackson chooses to approach when tackling the story to screen. Sometimes he ends up culling information from the footnotes of Tolkien's fantasy, even borrowing bits of THE SIMILARION for good measure. For instance, we meet the wizard Radagast, an eccentric fellow who cares for animals and goes around riding on a massive "rabbit" sleigh. There is also a shady backstory involving a conflict between Thorin against a nasty-looking orc named Azgog (a mostly computer-animated villain with a vicious grin and a prosthetic arm). Finally we get a surprisingly long scene at the Elven city of Rivendell in which Gandalf converses with his colleague, the ill-fated sorcerer Saruman (Christopher Lee) about the potential return of Sauron. This is obviously meant to tie THE HOBBIT into THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, which is understandable because this is, after all, a prequel, but again, whether one is willing to sit through such slow scenes depends on the nature.

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY really comes to life during the bits when it actually sticks to the story. The sequence where Bilbo and company are captured by giant trolls does justice to the book. In the second half, we get a scarifying roller-coaster style confrontation with two stone giants (a scene which nailed me to my seat) to a visit to the infamous Goblin City, ruled by a bloated fellow called the Goblin King. But the film's real highlight is the "Riddles in the Dark" sequence, a cunningly choreographed, thrilling confrontation in which Bilbo must outsmart the twisted Gollum (again brought to life by the remarkable motion capture and hoarse voice of Andy Serkis).

Despite the occasional lull in the story, though, I honestly wasn't necessarily bored at all by any of this; I have quite enjoyed Tolkien's stories and I could spend hour after hour in the fantasy world that Jackson still manages to fully realize on the screen, thanks to the luscious sets and aforementioned cinematography. And unlike George Lucas, who obviously was no great "actor's director" when it came to his weaker STAR WARS prequel trilogy, Jackson hasn't lost his ability to extol performances from his cast. Freeman was practically born to play Bilbo, embuing the character's neurotic reluctance with a charm that easily makes even the slowest parts of the film tolerable to sit through. Armitage mostly portrays Thorin as a grumpy, dour fellow who doubts his new charge, but he does so with hints of a tortured personality. Sylvestor McCoy is also quite good as the eccentric Radagast, and the dwarves are all well cast and fitting for their roles. And of course, it's gratifying to see McKellan, Lee, Serkis, and even Cate Blanchett (as Galadriel) reprise their roles.

On a more controversial move, Jackson chose to shoot this HOBBIT trilogy in High Frame Rate mode, in which the speed of the frames is increased from 24fps to 48fps. It's a bold, daring move, and in many ways it works quite well for this movie; Middle Earth looks spectacular and rich in its depth with the 3D format, but other times it gives the feel of a super-polished real-life documentary on TV rather than a film. Having said that, though, the film plays well either way so aside from the frame rate length.

Is this HOBBIT trilogy on par with the original LORD OF THE RINGS? No. But it's still well-made and executed with a style that only Jackson can do. In short, whether you decide that THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY is for you depends on how much you are willing to overlook the eccentric decision to extend what is essentially a shorter story and embark on another adventure. Having said that, though, I still quite enjoyed the movie and if nothing else, it left me eager for the next chapter.

20.12.2014 21:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

My absolute favorite bath bomb from lush EVER.

The Lush golden wonder is a holiday edition bath bomb from Lush as you can probably tell it's a Christmas season bath bomb. I was purchasing products for family members and decided to get myself an early Christmas present. So many things attracted me to the golden wonder bath bomb, I was intrigued by the style and design of the bomb, the fact that it was a Christmas one got me excited and the gold colour of the bomb looked so nice I couldn't wait to run home and drop it in the bath tub.

I also had to buy this product mainly because the lady at lush told me there is a 'suprise' inside the bomb when it dissolves in the bath and it rattled when i picked it up and shake it, so that was really unique and exciting. Really good for buying as a gift to some one or just for yourself. It has a really strong citrus smell to it also.

I was even more suprised when i got it home and put it in the tub because it first started off fizzing yellow which then turned to a crazy dark blue colour, I had no idea it was any other colour but yellow and then it split in half and started releasing a pink colour i love it so much because it really does a lot more than some of the other bath bombs at lush and it is such a surprise when the bomb starts changing colours and breaking apart. Really excited just writing this review because it was so amazing.

Just when i thought it couldn't get any better I noticed little confetti silver stars start to rise up in the bath which must have been the surprise in the middle of the bath bomb such a great touch and really quite amazing. I LOVE THIS BATH BOMB LUSH!!!

20.12.2014 21:44

Advantages

• "Lots of fast paced dance tracks."

Disadvantages

• "Some cheesy ballads"

.A Super 1980's Dance Album

This album was released at the tail end of the 1980's and it's a dance music classic, more so for those who experienced the hype around the group during this period. The London Boys were a high energy dancing duo with fantastic looks and passionate vocals singing tracks written and produced by German Ralf Rene Maue, whose association with Pete Waterman's Hit Factory helped propel the pair into the charts.

The album contains 12 tracks with a mix of thumping club dance songs and cheesy pop ballads. The stand outs on the album include their hits 'London Nights' and 'Requiem'. The latter track is my particular favourite as it has a slightly dark feeling to it that distinguishes it from any similar dance tracks at the time. It is actually mixed with Gregorian chants which gives the track a very strange and spiritual feeling despite it having a typical 1980's synth beat. It also uses a spoken rap style chorus. It's a powerful, haunting and unforgettable song.

There are a lot of fun tracks on the album such as 'The Midi Dance', an anthem to having a good time as well as 'Kimbalay Ma Ma Mama Say' which has a jaunty rhythm which hits every inch of your body.

The softer tracks on the album aren't as powerful and are a little bit corny and overly sentimental. It's the kind of stuff that would only very young kids today would appreciate. A particularly nauseating ballad dedicated to 'Sandra' is perhaps the lowest point of the album.

A lot of the tracks carry some very powerful messages and one that has always stuck with me since my youth is 'Harlem Desire' in which the duo sing about a desire for inner city peace and for re-education of youngsters indoctrinated into gun violence. The song is a real belter and it makes you want to sing, move and change the world!

Sadly, The London Boys did not have a long career and their lives were cut short not long after having top ten success with several of the singles from this album. It's an album I love to play and I would hope that young people are still discovering it today.

• Lush Sexxx Bomb / Bath & Shower / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.12.2014 21:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Love it, fizzy delight.

One great ballistic in my opinion. I purchased my sex bomb bath bomb from my usual local lush store on a haul if I'm honest along with a bunch of other product I had purchased. I decided to buy this bath bomb due to the color alone as I usually buy based on scent and price. The sex bomb bath bomb I purchased was a lovely lilac and pink colour meshed together.

The sex bomb ballistic has a max of Jasmine, clary sage, ylang ylang and soy milk. The soy milk helps the skin to soften and to produce a milky texture to the bath which helps separate the colours with in the bath which I think is really impressive plus who doesn't want to bath in soy milk? I love the blend with in this bath bomb the jasmine and ylang blend so well together producing such a sweet strong smell. I found this bath bomb dissolved very quickly compared to others and didn't have as much fizz on contact with the water and I love my fizzy bath bombs so thumbs down for that.

When the bath bomb dissolves you are left with a rose pettle which I think is a cute addition to the bath bomb but really has no point in being there, most products from lush in bath bombs have a purpose such as sea weed to help the skin, sea salt to smooth skin but this pettle.. not so much? But cute touch. The bath water quickly changes to a smooth light pink which I love so much. Beautiful scent that lingers which I appreciate. Bought at the price of £3.20 great price!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown