• Lindt Excellence Intense Orange / Chocolate / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.01.2015 18:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

Zing!

Another day, another chocolate bar and another star jump to work it all off.

This is part of the fabulous EXCELLANACE range of bars, even though they are dark chocolate bars they are great for cooking with. There are 17 different varieties in the range to choose from and there's even a Blueberry flavour chocolate! Head to LINDT.CO.UK to check out the full range and the sale they currently have on.

These are quite thin square that are packed with flavour and richness.
      For such dark chocolate these are in no way bitter, which is why I think I keep going back to this brand and especially dark chocolate normally I can't eat that but this is delicious in small quantities,
      This is 47% dark cocoa and the orange is only 2% but it is very tart and overrules the dark chocolate most definitely but in a pleasant way.

I really enjoyed this with a glass of wine than with coffee which I usually have, even the Lindt website recommends what would be ideal to drink with this particular bar of chocolate.
      However, I've already mentioned that this is very good to cook with especially making muffins or sponges, it melts very well and the flavour of orange is kept so you get that delicious flavour still.

This is quite high on the calories side-523!!! Almost a dinner or two. So this is now brought only in seasons like Christmas, birthdays or as an after dinner treat.

This is priced at £1.89 and varies online especially with bulk buys which are very tempting.

• Kenwood KM336 Chef Classic / Mixer / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.01.2015 18:26

Advantages

• "Easy to clean"
      • "Super at making dough"

Disadvantages

• "it needs plenty of space"
      • Expensive

The essiential kitchen gadget!

I grew up with a Kenwood Chef always on the go in our kitchen, whether it was my mother baking birthday cakes or my father making dough for bread and pizzas, it was an essential part of our family life.
      With this in mind it was a delight when my parents bought me a Kenwood KM336 for my new kitchen.
      Admittedly it is an expensive piece of kitchen equipment but you truly get what you pay for with this kitchen gadget. I looks good and does a great job.
      The Kenwood KM336 has turned me into a baker, in the past I have been more a consumer of bakery products than a producer but it is with pride that I am now creating bakery delights for my friends and family from bread to brownies. I have become the type of mum that produces cake for every bake sale - in the past they have been lucky to have rice Krispy cakes!
      I have found this to be easy to clean and even easier to use, the different speed settings allow you to mix slowly when you still have a lot of dry ingredients and when you have combined them to turn it up to get maximum air.
      On the downside it does need a shelf of its own so is not suitable for a smaller kitchen.
      I would recommend the Kenwood KM336 to anyone who was looking for a food mixer and has the space needed to store it. Happy baking!

• Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Liquid / Medicine / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.01.2015 18:08

Advantages

• "measuring cup part of the bottle"
      • "No need to chew chalky tavlets"
      • "Can be used by children"

Disadvantages

A great traditional indigestion remedy

I have used milk of magnesia since I was a young child. I now use it when my 4 and 7 year old children have tummy ache, it works every time. I also use it when I have over indulged on the wrong food types and suffer indigestion.
      It is easier to take than chalky tablets that require chewing and can be washed down with a glass of water. It is a great indigestion treatment for the whole family.
      The convenient dosing cup is great and as it is separate to the lid there is no chance of knocking the bottle and spilling it when you are cleaning the cup.
      It is great that it comes in a plastic bottle as such it easily forms part of my families first aid kit when going on day trips and holidays, without any worries about glass breaking.
      The distinctive blue colour allows you quickly identify it amongst all of the dark brown bottles in the medicine cabinet.
      Admittedly it has not got the most pleasant tasting flavour but it does mean that you quickly find out how much of a tummy ache your children really have !!!!!! As with all indigestion remedies it is an acquired taste, however this is a small price to pay for the relief that it brings.
      It can also be used as a mild laxative, useful when digestion is not at its best. It does not have the extreme effect that other over the counter laxatives have.

• Samsung RV510 / Laptop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.01.2015 17:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Poor quality parts"

One to give a miss.

The Samsung RV510 laptop is a straightforward 15.6" screen laptop for those who want something to write essays on or surf the web.

I owned this laptop for a little under two years.

It originally retailed for around £350 and is still available though at a lower price. I won't extensively list the specification as it takes only a few moments to search and find this and there were few different options available.

It is absolutely fine for basic usage but has some major negatives.

We had two Samsung Laptops in the house at the same time. A slightly older Samsung R530 and the RV510. The R530 is now over 4yrs old and still running well but the RV510 proved to be made of rather a flimsier construction. The first element to break was the headphone socket, followed by the touchpad mouse buttons and shortly after by the hinges which were replaced and eventually needed to have the whole monitor part replaced as the plastic where the hinges screwed in would no longer hold a screw.

The hard drive also failed quickly and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately the battery and charger also needed to be replaced making it particularly poor value for money less than 2 years usage.

I would say in general the major flaw with this laptop is that is simply has too much plastic in its construction and it's just too lightly built. The R530 feels so much more solid in comparison.

From a performance point of view it's a little under powered, often struggling with doing normal activities like streaming whilst carrying out another activity.

Overall I would not recommend buying this laptop new or second hand. There are better options if you want a lower end computer.

31.01.2015 17:20

Advantages

• "Very Effective"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Very effective family sunscreen.

Ultrasun Family spf 30 is an all day protection (UVA 93% and UVB SPF30) suncreen so is just applied once per day.

It is suitable for sensitive skins as it is free from oils, emulsifiers and perfume. I have one child who is very hard to find sunscreen for as she reacts badly to every sunscreen we've tried from both the mainstream and alternative natural brands and quickly sensitizes to those that she doesn't immediately react to. This is the one sunscreen that she has managed to use for a couple of years although she reacts to other products in the Ultrasun range.

It claims to be be non sticky & non greasy and sink in quickly. We've found it does sink in quickly but it is quite greasy as it's a fairly thick sunscreen and my kids don't love having it applied.

The ingredients are Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Lecithin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Titanium Dioxide (Nano), Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol (Nano), Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Paraffinum Liquidum, Pentadecalactone, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum.

It is water resistant for 40 minutes so ideal for kids on the beach.

It comes in a whole range of sizes. 100ml, 150ml, 250ml and 500ml. The small ones are ideal for holidays as they in a nice solid bottle and the biggest is ideal for having at home for a big family as it lasts a long time.

It's not a cheap sunscreen but worth it. The 100ml is £19 and the 500ml is £49.

31.01.2015 16:35

Advantages

• Soft
      • "Widely available"
      • "Regularly on offer"

Disadvantages

• "Can split sometimes"

A great affordable basic product

Boots Double Faced Cotton Pads (£1.89 - 100)

A pretty basic product, and they generally do what they are supposed to do.

I love the fact that they are double sided, so allow me a bit of choice depending on what I am using them for. But I tend to just use the more textured side. It might just all be in my head, but I feel like the more textured side removes make up and nail varnish better. The only time I use the smoother side is when I apply toner, as I like it to be as gentle as possible on my skin.

One issue I do have, is trying to use a cream based make up remover with these pads can cause them to split and break down a bit. This can be quite messy.

My sister also uses these to clean her 9 month old sons face, just dipped in a bit of warm water as they are super soft so won't scratch or feel uncomfortable. She has stuck with these cotton pads since he was born, and has never felt the need to try another brand. So great for babies too. Especially as some brands can have natural 'fibres' that are rough, and could cause some damage to a baby. Or even if you were using them to remove eye make up. I've never experienced any of these rough bits with the Boots double sided cotton bands

I prefer these to any other brand, and will usually stick with these. They are also regularly on offer so you can save a bit sometimes. So I tend to stock up on when they are on offer.

31.01.2015 16:27

Advantages

• "subtle scent"
      • cheap
      • "absorbs quickly"

Disadvantages

• "not moisturising enough for extra dry skin"
      • "discontinued so hard to find"

Nothing special, but something you can rely on for light moisturising

Jergens Ultra Healing (Nourishing & Heals) Extra Dry Skin Body Moisturiser - 200ml
      Discontinued, so that not easily available. Can be found in Savers for £2.99

So the tube states this contains vitamins C, E and B5, heals dryness at the source and locks in moisture for 24 hours... Apparently.

I used a different Jergens moisturiser many years ago and loved it, so when I spotted this on the shelves at Savers I was quick to snap it up.

This moisturiser is ok, and just ok. This would be ideal for those who are looking for an every day moisturiser. I don't think this does very much for extra dry, or ever just dry skin.

I have very dry skin, so tend to layer this underneath a body oil. On it's own, it's not enough for me. But I do still like it, and think I would probably prefer this in warmer weather when I don't want a thick moisturiser.

I should point out though, it does absorb super fast, so is great if you're applying it and want to get dressed straight away. No waiting time while it soaks in. You don't need a lot to get coverage, so one tube does last quite a long time. And it doesn't really have a scent so it won't interfere with any perfume or other scented products you may wear.

Overall, it's a nice body lotion, but nothing to be wowed by.

• The Sims 3 (PC) / PC Game / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.01.2015 16:15

Advantages

• "Great story progression"
      • "Open world"

Disadvantages

• "Loading takes too long"

A game that is fun, creative and worth buying.

Sims 3 has got to be the best Sims game and is definitely worth buying. The graphics are 100x better than Sims and Sims 2. The freedom of having an actual open world means that there is so much to explore and do. Unlike the previous Sims games you can go wherever you want whenever you want. The expansion packs also make the game even better as it gives you the opportunity access new careers, traits and skills.
      However the game does take a while to load which in my opinion is the only downside to the game. Despite the slow loading this is the best Sims game out there. Even though I have not played Sims 4 yet, Sims 3 is still the best of the set as Sims 4 has been known for its glitches and lack of story progression. With Sims 3 you can do anything you want whenever you want. You can build up a family, work as a super villain or as a firefighter. The possibilities are endless. Sims reactions to each other are hilarious. When they get to angry they get into cat fights; slapping each other silly.

31.01.2015 15:54

Advantages

• "Useful product."

Disadvantages

Handy item for certain types of wounds.

Boots Pharmaceuticals Skin Closures are a useful product to have in a first aid kit.

I first discovered them when I cut my arm. It was a clean wound that stopped bleeding of its own accord but it was deep and probably due to its position on the back of my arm it gaped a bit.

Normal plasters were good at keeping it clean but didn't have the tension to hold it closed. I considered going to minor accidents to see what they could do but as it was not bleeding or infected and still relatively small it seemed like a bit of a waste of time and these were a handy option.

I ended up trying these skin closures to avoid a scar and making it easier to keep it clean.

They're easy to apply as long as you read the instructions. You need to make sure the area is clean and dry before you try to apply the closures. You basically place them across the wound. Attach one side and pull together wound. You then add more closures a few millimetres apart. You still need to cover the wound to avoid dirt entering the healing wound.

By closing the wound properly it is supposed to improve healing and avoid scarring. I found my wound healed really easily and there is just a slight faint thread line scar a few months on.

Each pack contains 8 closures 5 of the 3mm x 75mm size and 3 of the 6mm x 75mm size.

Each box contains £2.99.

31.01.2015 15:06

Advantages

• "Lightweight slim vacuum"

Disadvantages

• "Having to keep you finger on the trigger."

Why did we wait so long to buy this wonderful vacuum?

I have had my Dyson DC 35 for a month now and no longer dread vacuuming. When the box was delivered I took all the components out, the actual DC digital slim vacuum, the docking station, the mains charger, detachable wand, crevice tool, combination tool, motorised floor tool plus the paperwork with some trepidation but I was worrying for nothing ... everything was explained so easily via the picture based put together and use guide. I charged it up and then was ready to put it though it's pace. I had already cleaned the carpet earlier and was really shocked at the amount of dirt and fluff that was in the collection canister. The emptying was simple just hold it over the bin and pull a switch, easy. I went around the ceiling just in case the were any rogue cobwebs, there were. I took the wand off and put the tool back onto the vacuum to do the stairs, wonderful, no wires or plugs to worry about. The tools are easily interchanged, they just clip in. I then put the dyson into it's docking station charging up for my next bout of cleaning, this wasn't to be me as my husband started to hoover out the car and was chuffed to bits with the result and the convenience of it. So from carpets, hard floors, stairs, cars, curtains, mattresses, ceilings etc it's had a good trial and we think it's fantastic. The only thing I've knocked off a heart for is because you have to keep your finger on the trigger to keep it switched on, this apparently is so that you don't waste the power. It runs for 15 minutes but I haven't found this a problem for me at all as I finish in one room I put it into it's docking station before I start on another. Don't let that part put you off. We wondered why we didn't invest in this machine a long time ago.

• Nissan Qashqai / Car / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.01.2015 14:52

Advantages

• "Comfortable "
      • "Nice smooth ride"
      • "brilliant in snow"
      • spacious
      • "Great fuel economy"

Disadvantages

• "Difficult to change headlight bulbs as its cramped"

Brilliant drive epic ride quality would recommend this car to anyone great for families.

I have owned my Qashqai for 8 months now and still find it is a delight to drive. It is massive in side so great if you have children no one has to be squashed can fit 3 adults on the back seat with out anyone complaining about space. the boot is also roomy and if u need to move big items about the back seats are easy to pop down u will be happy with the amount of space u then have to fill, i used mine to move house in. The only small down side and its tiny in comparison to how good the car is on a day to day basis is if you come to change a head light bulb it will take some patience its rather cramped under the bonnet but doable if you take the time with a pair of pliers. The stereo system in the car is amazing good sound quality even if the volume is really high add that with the built in controls on the wheel and your onto a winner, i love the built in blue tooth great for if your expecting calls while out driving the signal is perfect for the majority of the time and the feature of being able to store more then one synced phone into the system is great for long trips we tend to use it to play music via spotify. Add all this to the fact that the car is in my opinion great to look at then your onto a winner.

• Superdrug Solait Sun Lotion / Sun Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.01.2015 14:34

Advantages

• "Great Price"
      • "Good protection"

Disadvantages

Solait gets a thumbs up from me

Solait is Superdrugs own brand so only available in store and also on line, priced from around £7.99 - £9, I paid less than £4 for a 200ml.

The bottle is bright red so it really does stand out on the shelf against all the other products. The writing on the bottle is a mixture of silver and white which contrasts really well with the red bottle. The bottle comes with a flip top lid which closes securely but is easy enough to open singled handed. I like the fact that the bottle ‘sits upside down’ so it actually sits on it lid, I find that this makes it easier when trying to squeeze the cream from the bottle.

According to the bottle, this has to be applied 20minutes before sun exposure, I will say that there have been times when I have put this on and then gone straight outside and I haven’t burnt. The lotion should then be re-applied frequently throughout the day, especially after swimming.

The first thing that I noticed about this was how light the cream felt compared to creams I have used in the past. The cream is white and I would describe the consistency to be a little like runny yoghurt. I was a little worried at first because of how thin the cream was but I found that it seemed to be absorbed into my skin really quickly and left my body with a nice moisturised look.
      The fragrance is quite subtle, like most sun lotions, I can’t pick out any notes but I would say that this is slightly floral and it definitely reminds my of holiday time. The fragrance has good staying power, several hours after application, I still have that summer aroma about me.

According to Superdrug, the cream is enriched with Vitamin E and Aquarich which means that the lotion cream is meant to leave my skin feeling and looking hydrated for 24 hours, whilst I don’t doubt that my skin didn't feel dry, I don’t think it would last 24 hours.
      The lotion is dermatologically tested and I do find it is quite kind to the skin, my other half has really sensitive skin, which can react badly to certain creams but also, it he doesn't cover up properly in the sun, he gets a really had prickly heat reaction, he has used this a couple of times when he has forgotten his own lotion and not suffered any problems or reactions.

Overall, I would recommend and I think I will be repurchasing this in the future; therefore the sun cream gets 5 out of 5 stars from me.

31.01.2015 14:29

Advantages

• "easy to use"

Disadvantages

a lovely soothing product to improve the whole under eye area

should not be mistaken for a cover up product. this tackles bags and tired eyes over a period of time. have just started using it and it goes on smooth and silky making my eyes feel better instantly although time will tell if they look better soon. the silver end is cold to touch and soothes the area while the cream hides those bags while working its magic

31.01.2015 11:24

Advantages

• timer
      • battery

Disadvantages

• "some of them doesnt include feature to clean your tongue"
      • "not good for gum inflamation problems"
      • "doesnt reach the back teeth"

Expensive doesnt mean good

I received this toothbrush as a present of my mother-in-law. I was so happy as Ive always wanted to have one and never could afford it. I tried it that same night. I have to say I was so dissapointed! It is impossible to reach the back teeth and the head is too big. ,aybe I should change it for another (more or less they cost 4 pounds) .

Although, If you have gum inflamation like me it is not a good idea to use it. My gums started receding even more and my dentist said that the electric toothbrush is probably contributing.

The are different versions of the toothbrush so depending on which one you buy they wont have a feature to clean your tongue after a brush. I recommend that if you are still thinking on buying it, pay more and check that includes this feature

A good advantage is the battery. My husband got one too and he has been using it for 7 months without any problem. It also comes with a very useful time. The 30 second stutter is a little off putting, but it doesnt enable one to note elapsed brushing time easily. There is also a warning and a light to tell you if you are brushing hard. I havent seen something like this included in any other toothbrush and its such an important thing.

However, I'm disappointed that I allowed myself to be lured away from my original non-electric toothbrush . I love the brand so I will keep using their toothbrush but definitely not the electric ones.

31.01.2015 09:31

Advantages

• "long wearing"
      • "natural colour"
      • "good coverage"

Disadvantages

• "requires powder for oiler skins"

a great budget buy!

I'm used to wearing double wear foundation, as I have poor skin and need a product to cover up my blemishes. I heard about this foundation from an online blogger, so I thought I would try it.

I picked this up for around 5 pounds in boots. There were numerous shades available from light to dark. After sampling a few on my skin I settled for Ivory.

The bottle is glass and feels quite expensive to hold. The product uses a pump dispenser and I find one pump provides just the right amount of foundation to cover the face.

The foundation itself is a nice consistency. Not too thick or runny - I usually pump some on the back of my hand and then apply it with a brush to my face. The product has a pleasant aroma, its not heavily fragranced or chalky smelling like some foundations.
      Either with fingers or a brush, the foundation glides on to the face without dragging the skin. I don't have any difficulty blending this in and it doesn't leave any telling marks around my neck.

There is a dewy finish to this foundation, it is not matte. Now my skin is quite oily, so I need to use pressed powder over the top of the foundation to set it. Otherwise this foundation would just slide off and look very shiney - something to bear in mind if you have oily skin.

Longevity wise (with powder) it lasts a good 6 hours before needing a top up, which I don't think is bad for 5 quid product. It is easily removed with cleanser, and it doesn't block my pores or cause breakouts.

I think this is such a good buy, I will definitely be repurchasing!!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown