• Leighton Denny Crystal Finish Top Coat / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 23:00

Advantages

• "glossy finish"
      • "dries fast"

Disadvantages

• price

Nice addition to my ever growing collection

I bought a bargain set of nail polishes from TK Maxx all by Leighton Denny and this crystal finish top coat was included but separately wrapped from the row of seven coloured polishes you got. The price was so low at £17 I felt that it needed to be snapped up as a single polish of the crystal finish by LD can cost £11 at full price.

I always watch the Leighton Denny show on QVC and like him for his friendly nature and down to earth attitude. He also clearly loves his work and the innovation of his products which really makes me want to buy the brand so I am always on the lookout for it!

This top coat is very much a basic but essential nail polish top coat. It adds a glassy and glossy shine to any polish and helps it to dry quickly but also can revamp an old mani that has gone dull and add an extra day or so on to a tired nail polish.

I do think this is expensive on its own but I also think it is very good and certainly a quality finish to any nail colour. Another way I use this is just on its own to add an extra layer of protection on to the nail. This helps against damage and strengthens the natural layer leaving it nice and shiny too.

I will most certainly buy this again as it is always handy to have a clear top coat in the collection of nail accessories.

27.11.2014 22:54

Advantages

• "removes and treats in one"

Disadvantages

• "the price (ouch!)"

Nail polish remover with a difference

I recently bought a Leighton Denny Nails set (a massive one!) from T K Maxx and it had this remover included in the big make up bag it came in. I bought the set because I liked the colours in the seven polishes, it came with a nice quick drying top coat and also was priced with a red sticker (I am such a sucker for them) that was ten pounds cheaper than that of its identical friends!

This was a mini bottle included but you can buy one sized 125ml (still pretty small) from Amazon for £7.75. That is quite expensive for a nail polish remover when I normally pay £1 for the Boots basic range one.

This bio build nail polish remover is special though. It is a rich gel formula filled to the brim with bio oils so it removes and treats in one step. It promises not to dry the nail or damage the cuticle but moistens and strengthens.

It has no acetone in it which is a start as this really can wreck your nails. My bottle in the bag was wrapped in bubble wrap but had been a bit leaky in there so the gel inside it had solidified around the neck a little. I didn't mind as I did get it for a hefty reduction.

Essentially, it removes polish from the nails with ease and little effort which is just what I need after a hard day! I found this a little smelly as are all nail polish removers so I'd be happy to buy and use it again in the future.

• OPI Original Nail Envy / Hand & Nail Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 22:45

Advantages

• strengthens

Disadvantages

• "not for long term use"

Make your nails the envy of your friends

I bought a mini nail envy to try out as I saw them on QVC and really fancied trying them. Everyone online seems to recommend nail envy as the best strengthening product on the market so I was keen to try it.

I used the nail envy as a base coat for a month and used it under polishes until it was all gone (it was only a mini one!) and my nails most definitely improved during that time.

I had to stop as there is a thing as getting your nails to a too strong condition and they will just break as they are dry and dehydrated and whilst they are strong, they are also brittle so car doors and fridges will challenge the strength of your nails on a daily basis.

I liked how easy this product was to use. It was clear when painted on the nails but did leave a lightly glossy sheen to the nail too which was good.

The Nail envy has no taste to it after washing hands it is like a normal polish in that respect so it will not stop nail biters from biting!

I paid around £5 for my mini bottle and was glad to give it a try.

This is a product I would buy and use again without doubt, it has turned my nails around but you have to be disciplined and stop using it before you've gone too far with your nail routine and it also helps if you oil them in between to help the moisturisation levels.

27.11.2014 22:40

Advantages

• "nice treat"

Disadvantages

• "gets samey"

Nice little box to send yourself a treat

If I wrote this review six months ago I would have probably been more gushy about Birch Box but I have been getting the little brown boxes for two years now so decided to take a break from them.

What are they?
      A monthly beauty and lifestyle subscription service. Pay £10 plus £3 P&P and get a box of five sample (sometimes full sized) items sent to your door.

My thoughts
      I did like the Birchbox and it always seemed to uphold its standards and professional look. The products were usually high end and always felt like a treat. The last few boxes had a few similar brands and products in that I had already had so I felt it was time for a rest.

Extras
      You always got a lifestyle extra in the box, from memory I got a bag of popcorn (small); a carton of coconut milk; green and blacks mini choc bar; sachet of mizu soup; photo frame and make up bag.

Points
      Probably the best bit about Birchbox was the points system. For every pound spent, friend referral or product survey completed they give you points to spend in their shop. The shop is a beauty haven of lovely high end products, priced properly but with free points I don't have a problem with things being expensive. You can of course spend your own money or top up the points with your own spends. If you use the shop look out for good discount codes to use.

I will probably return at some point but I will keep my eye on the contents in the meantime and leave resubbing for a while.

27.11.2014 22:35

Advantages

• "Lifts the impurities of the day"
      • "Fresh feeling"

Disadvantages

• "Not to moist"
      • "Leaves skin feeling slightly dry"

Hand wipes maybe?

I have been a fan of Champneys for quite a number of years and was pleased to see they had expanded their range to facial wipes.

Taken from their SPA range this aims to help you produce that SPA feeling and results right in your very home.
      Most of the products in this range have been fantastic and I thought this might not be an exception as their standard is always consistent and very high.

The packaging matches the branding so you won't have to scan the ailse for ages. A clean and fresh looking light purple and the seal is plastic allowing you to take one wipe out at a time and then clip back down to avoid drying out the product.

These feel immediately soft and smell just hevenly and off the Champney SPA range which is always reassuring.

They pull out individually and not all at once like some wipes can.
      They have a slight bumpy effect on them which is to draw out the impurities and lift the dirt or make-up from your skin.

MAKE-UP
      When removing the make-up I usually with other wipes and brands find I can sweep over my face and within two or three minutes the make-up is lifted. However I found that this wouldn't remove the make-up, the branding of the make-up varies and I've never had problems before but it didn't lift it effectively. One thing I would say is it removed my mascara very well. No panda eyes the next day.

EVERYDAY USEAGE
      Again I found that when you return home from a day's work or have been travelling through the gorgeous London streets filled with pollution, this still did not remove any dirt that I am use to or was expecting. Unless I am super clean and flawless I just didn't have confidence that it had done its job so I used another branded wipes and lo and behold pollution.

FEEL OF PRODUCT
      The wipe is packed with goodness such as ginseng, Chamomile, skin conditioners [deifinately check out the ingrediants becuase the are not good for sensitive skin- CHAMPNEYS.COM] and aloe vera.
      So with this in mind before use I thought this would be okay and gentle hwever it stung.
      Really it did, I used one night gently and it was okay but once I had used the product for a few minutes it stung on my face and neck.

I can't say I would recommened these to anyone that suffers frm skin irritants, break out, or sensitive skin.

These always seem to be out of stock on Champneys website but priced at £5.
      In Boot, where you mainly find them, they usually are in stock and sometimes at the fabulous pricing or bulk buy of £5 or 342.

If you an avid fan, obviously I don't want you to waste your money but I would say try this, as I did think that were great for travelling and using out and about for hand wipes! Well I didn't want to waste them, my hands were fine thank-you, great for hands nice and soft x

27.11.2014 22:34

Advantages

• "good range"

Disadvantages

• price

OK but dear in price

I often buy the Sally Hansen conditioning nail polish remover from Boots as I do tend to get through a lot of remover as nail art is a huge hobby of mine and I can get through a lot in an evening just taking it all off to start again!

I like the different Sally Hansen range that I often browse at Boots but I am starting to think that they are a bit over priced.

For example you can get the Boots essential remover for around £1 and the Sally Hansen tends to cost around £3 for the same amount in volume. I am not sure they actually make a huge difference to the nail in terms of nail care.

Any nail polish remover is stripping the nail of its natural oils so you have to replace these with nail oil and hand cream to help them back to being self nourished. Any nail polish remover is bad for your nails, the more you use them the more you are exposing them to damage but it is worse if they have acetone in the remover although a lot do have this in and it does remove tough products a lot quicker.

To use Sally Hansen I soak a large cotton pad in remover and rub it against the nail. It's best not to work towards the cuticle as this can drive the polish in to the nail bed so try to work away.

In conclusion, I don't mind this, it does work, I would buy it again for sure but I am not convinced that these nail polish removers are totally worth the price tag they command.

• OPI Nail Varnish / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 22:29

Advantages

• "OPI is a classic"

Disadvantages

• price

Try Coca Cola Red you'll love it's classic daring shade

I have now got a few OPI colours in my collection, ranging in quality to be fair but the latest one I got from Birch Box in Coca Cola Red and it is absolutely stunning.

The red is the exact shade you get on a full fat coke can. It is beautiful and I have used it on my fingers and toes, and I feel like it is such a classic shade.

I used a base coat to prevent staining and a top coat to add shine but I was really impressed with how long it lasted. It just did not want to chip or anything until I started picking off price tags on day three and it came away a bit, but that is ignoring the key rule of nail care: never use your nails as tools.

The colour takes two coats to be a satisfactory level of coverage but that is normal for me.

I have often been tempted by the other OPI minis when I have seen them. The number of shades they offer is immense, a real temptation when they have a nice nudes set on offer.

Another feature I love about their shades is the way they name them. The OPI head office must be such fun. I have "The Cream in my Coffee" and "My boyfriend scales walls" in my collection amongst others. The names are enough to make me want to buy them never mind what the colours are.

I do like the brand and like to browse the names so OPI get a big tick from me.

27.11.2014 22:23

Advantages

• "foil effect is hard to get but does it here"

Disadvantages

• "space age?"

Spacewoman look does it for me

I struggled for years to find the perfect silver nail polish... one that was not sheer or flat but one that looked like total foil on the nails.

Fortunately technology over the years has improved hugely in the nails business and one of the leaders in that field has to be nails in.

I snapped up the South Kensington silver foil effect nail varnish online when I saw it as I had faith in the swatches I had seen plus I knew the quality of nails inc with more than 100 in my collection. (I know).

Nails inc are expensive but in my experience, they are totally worth it too. At £11 retail a bottle some would say you'd be mad to pay it but I have a few times when I want something then and there. I also scour online and buy every magazine to get every colour if they are on promotion. It is well worth it.

I was not disappointed with the nails in south ken silver nail foil. It is not see through. You do need two coats though but I think this is fair as you do with most nail colours. I use a base coat to protect the nail from staining and then sometimes I leave it without a top coat as it has its own wonderful finish. Sometimes I want the glassy effect top coat and then to switch it up I also sometimes use the matte effect top coat I have from nails inc. Lots of looks from one bottle here and it also looks fabulous on toes if you're wanting a bit of Barbarella in your life!

• Nails inc. Piccadilly Arcade / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.11.2014 22:17

Advantages

• "Emerald city"

Disadvantages

• "glitter polish is harder to get off"

I love this green glitter like it was a pet of mine!

I bought this polish after seeing a demo on QVC I knew that I just could not live without it. Painted on top of a glossy black coat this polish had so much depth to it I couldn't wait for my order to land.

The nails inc brand is one I am extremely familiar with. I have a drawer full of them! I love the quality and ease of painting with them plus their quick dry. I think I have over 100 Nails Inc if you count the minis too I would easily go over that!

I know nails inc full size are expensive at £11 each. I have bought some from the counter like a birthday pink and black taxi, both shades I wanted then and there and couldn't wait for.

Otherwise I shop at TK Maxx and QVC to buy the bigger value ridden sets and this is how I got this green. I should not watch that channel it is seriously tempting on nails nights.

As I mentioned, I paint this over a black coat. It comes out generously and thickly yet dries quite fast and it is nice to get enough on so the black still shines through. The black base deepens the emerald green in fact I just would not wear this polish on its own, it needs the dark base to reveal its true colours!

I think this is quite hard to get hold of, it's a special effect one, with the nail jewellery badge but does come a bit cheaper if you buy it in the nail jewellery set.

27.11.2014 22:13

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
      • "Feels luxurious"
      • Moisturising

Disadvantages

A lovely body wash from Dove

I bought dove Body Wash Softening Silk for the family’s use so it went into the bathroom rather than the downstairs shower as the bathroom seems to be more used than the shower cubicle. I knew this was popular as it didn’t last very long. This was at a time when the house was full of people.

I suppose it is more of a ladies body wash but I think the men must have used it. Most things that I put out in the bathroom get used at least once by all and then if they don’t all like it then it won’t get used up for ages. If they don’t like a product then the reason for their dislike is usually because it is something that smells too flowery and feminine and maybe also smells too powerful.

I really like this body wash but then in all honesty, I do like nearly all of the Dove products that I have tried. It’s very rare that I'm not pleased with Dove products in general. But I am not really particularly brand loyal either. I tend to look for offers and also will buy something that catches my eye as long as it is selling for the right price. But if it is from a manufacturer I like and sold at a reasonable price then in my shopping basket it will most likely go.

But regarding this product it is good. I liked the feel of it when using it as it really does feel so soft and silky. It does feel moisturising on the skin.

I would say that it cleanses well without drying my skin.

The scent of this body wash is really nice. It’s hard to describe but I would say it smells creamy and although the smell is nice it isn't overpowering.

When my skin was dry I could still smell this body wash upon my skin but it wasn't too cloying.

Dove Softening Silk Body Wash is currently available from Tesco at the price of £2.55 for a 250ml bottle.

27.11.2014 21:47

Advantages

• "cooling and soothing"

Disadvantages

• none

Wonderful

This is a wonderful foot lotion which I adore. I first bought it a couple of years ago and always make sure I have a bottle of it in my cupboard.

+++ What is it? +++
      This is a foot lotion that helps to cool your feet down and keep them hydrated. It is a lovely product.

+++ Looks +++
      The bottle isn't the most special looking but it is fine for me. It is tall and round and has a blue and green label on it. The label shows a foot print so you can see quite easily that this is a product for the feet.

+++ Using it +++
      This product is very easy to use. The lotion squeezes out of the bottle with ease and then I massage it into my feet or have my husband do it. It feels instantly cooling and soothing. It helps to cool my feet down when it's hot. It is easy enough to massage in and it takes a few minutes to absorb which is lovely and relaxing. The smell is lovely, it's peppermint and this smells very fresh.

+++ result +++
      My feet feel instantly cool and soothed. When I use this on a hot day it's a lovely welcome feeling. My feet also remain in good condition too. My heals can get a little dry but this soon clears that up.

+++ Conclusion +++
      A really wonderful product that helps to keep feet at their best. We should take good care of our feet seeing as we stand up on them all day! I always feel very refreshed and soothed after using this product. Just wonderful.

27.11.2014 21:44

Advantages

• "easy to find in most shops selling bath stuff"
      • "lots of bubbles"
      • "helps relax you"
      • "smells nice"
      • "good price"

Disadvantages

• "may dry out skin"
      • "may irritate skin "
      • "not natural"

Relax its Radox to wash away your stress

This is one of the basic bubble baths I buy from time to time as they are not expensive and are often on special offer.

Radox have a number of different bubble bath products but this one is designed to relax you and soothe aching muscles.

It smells great, I love eucalyptus and rosemary, neither are sweet and feminine scents but they do remind me of gardens and Australia sort of earthy herby scents.

This gives lots of bubbles and does not claim to be a natural product so be aware that bubble making ingredients can be skin irritants. they do say that there are natural ingredients in there for relaxing the mind and body.

This is a bright blue colour but in the bath this fades and the water is not remarkably blue and you don't need to use a lot to get a nice scent filled bath with a decent amount of bubbles. We are lucky as we have quite soft water but even in hard water you will not need a lot.

This costs about £2 for a bottle that I think is about 300 ml so it is not expensive compared to a lot of bubble baths.

This is no luxury product but it is a nice fresh, natural smelling bubble bath that I enjoy from time to time. It is not moisturising at all so if you have dry skin you will need a moisturiser after using this. I tend to use a lavender scented one before bedtime as that also helps relax me as well as this does.

This is a good family bubble bath suitable for all and great for that before bedtime bath as it does help to sooth the muscles and relax the mind ready for sleep.

27.11.2014 20:57

Advantages

• "helps skin repair itself"
      • "feeds the skin"
      • "uses natural plant based ingredients"
      • "ethical company"
      • "natural body oil"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A great natural plant based skin oil to help improve elasticity and tone

I have tried a number of body oils in the last year or so and when I went to a Weleda day I learned that natural plant based oils feed the skin far better than petroleum based ones as the plant based ones are absorbed rather than sitting on the skin's surface.

This is one of the oils I received from a beauty box as a sample and if it was not quite so expensive and I didn't already have several others in my drawer I would have rushed out to buy a big version.

This costs around £17 for 75 ml which is a fair price for something so good.

The oil is designed to help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Not only the Blackthorn but also birch leaf and St John's Wort are some of the lovely plant based medicinal ingredients in this which work to help the skin keep its elasticity and tone.

If you are pregnant or have gained weight then massaging this into the stretched areas will help reduce any stretch marks. If you are fat and want to lose weight then it is also a good idea to massage your skin so that it can maintain its tone and stretch or shrink back without becoming saggy.

Even if you are neither fat not pregnant this is a lovely toning and relaxing massage oil that keeps your skin looking healthy and supple. You don't need a lot as it feeds the skin and soaks in to do the job. You don't feel greasy as you only need enough to get absorbed any more is wasted with natural oils.

I find this is best applied after a bath or shower and I just pat the excess moisture off my skin then apply this oil trapping the moisture on my skin from my bath.

It smells natural and pleasant but not fruity despite the blackthorn oil , there is no sloe scent, it is more a herby aroma I think and one either males or females would be happy to use.

I used this on my shoulder scar and on my stretch marks and although neither have gone - they are pretty old now - they don't seem to stand out as much as they did.

I would certainly recommend this. It is far superior to Bio oil and a similar price. Bio oil is NOT all natural so beware and read the labels carefully.

• Badedas Original Gelee / Bath & Shower / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      27.11.2014 20:28

Advantages

• relaxing
      • "has been around for years and easy to find in shops"
      • "colours the bath water green"
      • "unisex fragrance"
      • "lots of bubbles"
      • "Smells great"

Disadvantages

• "outer box unnecessary packaging"
      • "Quite expensive compared to others around"

German Quality bubble bath with a unisex appeal

This is one of the old classic bubble bath products that I can remember from years gone by. It has always been quite expensive and a treat for me. In fact compared to years ago it is more reasonably priced these days.

This is a product designed to create bubbles so it has got bubble surfactatnt type ingredients in the product and these are not natural and can cause skin irritation. The scent is designed to be a relaxing one and it will appeal to both men and women I think as it is quite forest pine sort of scent and does remind me a bit of Radox relaxing bubble bath. It is not pine like a toilet cleaner though so don't be put off.

The price always makes me think twice with this as it is about £5 for a 300 ml bottle and the price goes up with the bigger sizes. I have only ever bought this smaller sized bottle as I find that lasts a good long while.

Thee horse chestnut in this is supposed to help keep the skin moisturised and it is certainly not a product that irritates my skin but I don't find it specially moisturising though.

If I had very dry skin this is not the product I would choose. This is one I use for relaxing, after a day walking or in the garden and it does allow me to float in the bath surrounded by bubbles with a lovely outside natural, leafy, pine forest- like scent.

After the bath I feel quite mellow and the scent can be smelled on my dried skin. The scent does carry into the bathroom too which I always like. My skin does not feel tight and dry but it also does not feel that moisturised either so I do apply body lotion after using this.

The product is quite concentrated so I find that a little does the bubbling job for me. Unless you like a bath where you can disappear in bubbles then a small amount under a running tap will give you enough bubbles and scent to give a nice relaxing bath I find.

The gelee is a green colour but the bath water doesn't go a really dark green nor are the bubbles green.

This is a nice bubble bath that does for both me and my husband as it is not one of the fruity sweet ones he objects to.

27.11.2014 20:08

Advantages

• "Good value "
      • "Helps with spots "
      • "Cleans deep down "

Disadvantages

One of the best face washes for spots

I really like tea tree as an ingredient in things as my skin really likes it and it really seems to help when my skin breaks out and I have spots. It also really seems to help my skin before and after shaving to help with razor bumps and shaving rash.

I have used tea tree oil for years but it can be really drying on my skin and it is difficult to know the right amount to use so I now find it easier to just buy good quality products with tea tree in them.

I have started using The Body Shop tea tree products when my I have spots and I have found it to be really effective at clearing my skin up and making it look clear again.

The face wash is really effective at cleaning my skin gently whilst also combating spots and blemishes and just making it look clear and healthy. It costs £5 so it is a reasonable price and you get a fairly decent sized bottle of it too for the money.

I have used tea tree face washes before and they have just been far too drying on my skin and haven’t even been that effective at getting rid of spots but this actually feels quite gentle and it doesn’t dry my skin out. Another side effect of tea tree is that it can sometimes slightly burn my skin but this doesn’t irritate my skin in the slightest.

After washing with this my skin is just left feeling really deep down clean with a slight tingle. It really stops your skin from producing too much oil so after washing with it you should be less shiny and produce less oil which should mean less spots.

This doesn’t get rid of spots from the first wash but even when you use it for the first time it really helps to take away the pain from painful spots and it really works to clean your skin deep down. After a few washes you should really start to notice a difference in the look of your skin and spots should definitely be minimised. Using the other products in the range will also definitely help it get to work quicker but even using this on its own will help a lot.

This is definitely one of the most effective face washes that I have ever used to help with skin that is breaking out. It calms skin right down and cleans it deeply and within a few days you can really tell the difference. I think it is a brilliant price too because it is such good quality and the bottle lasts for ages.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown