• moonpig.com / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.07.2014 18:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great, but I personally prefer Funky Pigeon :)

I usually take absolutely ages in card shops when having to choose a specific card for someone because I actually think that as silly as it seems, it's important. My favourite cards are the a la mode ones sold in Clintons, however the prices of some of them, as lovely as they are, is absolutely ridiculous.

Having seen so many of the adverts on TV, I decided to try Moonpig.com and have a look around their site, browse prices etc. The whole process seemed very straightforward and I ended up buying a couple of cards. I think the selection is brilliant and the photo upload cards are very easy to create. I stuck with Moonpig to buy my cards for all occasions, for quite a little while.

This was until I saw funky pigeon which I then decided I liked better. I couldn't tell you the price of the Moonpig cards today, but the funky pigeon ones are very reasonably priced. The reason I swapped to use funky pigeon was the ability to prepay where you are given credit, and the fact that they always have great offers on. As mentioned the credit option is brilliant, and is as simple as paying an amount through Paypal and for every £5 you prepay, they give £1.25 credit and I was not aware of any such offer on Moonpig.

At this point I would not go back to Moonpig simply because funky pigeon works better for me, although I do believe Moonpig have a wider selection, but this has never been a problem for me.

I would definitely recommend having a look at both these sites and seeing which works best for you! :)

• Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.07.2014 18:11

Advantages

• "Moisturises it slightly ready for conditioner "
      • "Cleans hair gently "

Disadvantages

Great for when my hair needs some extra attention

I have tried loads of different shampoos and conditioners over the years for times when my hair is feeling dry and damaged but I really don’t know why I bother because I always end up going back to Aussie because I have yet to find anything that is even remotely as good even when I pay loads of money for it.

I like to use the shampoo and matching conditioner alongside the intensive conditioner when my hair is feeling and looking like it is in need of some extra attention.

The shampoo smells gorgeous just like bubble gum which doesn’t sound like a scent that you might want on your hair but it works really well and leaves hair smelling really clean and fresh with just the right amount of sweetness when it is washed off.

This lathers up well and does a good job of cleaning hair without leaving it feeling as though it has been stripped of all moisture. It isn’t the most intensively detoxing shampoo but that isn’t what it is designed to do. It gently cleans hair so as to not damage it any further and leave it ready for the conditioner. You will need to wash twice if you use a lot of product but it will leave your hair feeling clean.

Obviously it isn’t as moisturising as the matching conditioner but if you were using this just on its own without the conditioner then it would still leave your hair looking in better condition than when you started. Of course it is going to be better when used in conjunction with the matching conditioner but if you had greasy hair and didn’t like conditioning because of how it can make your hair greasier then this will moisturise your hair just enough to leave it more manageable and shiny.

The shampoo doesn’t cost a huge amount considering how well it works and how nice it is to use and I would gladly pay more for it than the 4.69 it costs. Aussie is another of those brands that always seems to have offers on them too so you can probably pick it up even cheaper than the normal price if you are willing to look around a few shops first.

• BaByliss Curling Wand / Hair Styler / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.07.2014 17:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

Too much effort for curls to end up dropping quickly

It is a rare occasion that I curl my hair just because it such a long and tedious task that takes so much effort, usually for the curls to have dropped out before I reach my destination.

And so I first used these because they had been recently purchased by my sister and she was getting great results. I think this was mostly because she was using the wand through her extensions and so her actual hair was only being curled slightly - nevertheless it always looked lovely.

I'm not a fan of wands just because I worry about burning my fingers when using them. I do think that they always work better than the curlers with a clamp. To use this wand I would spray my hair with hair spray, and proceed to wrap my hair around it. I would leave it there for about 30 seconds and then let the curl drop off. This is such a long task for me and by the time I had got to the other half of my head I felt the curls were already dropping more and more. I continued to curl my whole head however the curls were a little tight for me, and in the end I was kind of glad they'd dropped.

For me this product didn't work but I can imagine this wand would be ideal for mid length hair that's not too thick - just be aware that the curls can be quite tight and look like ringlets even after they've began to drop so if your after beach waves this is not the product for you.

• GHD Hair Straighteners Salon Styler / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.07.2014 17:45

Advantages

• "Perfect for thick & long hair"

Disadvantages

Perfect Straighteners - Love! :)

I have been loyal to GHD straighteners ever since I began straightening my hair years and years ago. I love their straighteners and believe that they do produce minimum damage to my hair and always leave it soft and sleek.

When I saw that they had released the GHD straighteners in this wide model I was so pleased and looked forward to purchasing them. I actually sold my thin ones on eBay and got a great amount to put towards my new ones and had them soon after.

My hair is very long and thick, and naturally kind of kinky - I will have straighter parts and then curls mixed throughout. My other straighteners never disappointed and so I knew these would be great - and they were. Previously to straighten my hair I would divide into 6 or 8 sections and straighten, however with these I now only divide into 4 sections and still get through my whole head very quickly.

I used to straighten my hair pretty much every day but now not so much, though I've never felt my hair has been damaged by the GHDs at all. I also find that having straightened my hair one day, the following day my hair is still very straight - making it easy to then go over and be done very quickly.

I think I'll always be loyal to GHD when purchasing straighteners because they do such a good job, last ages and are worth the money. I absolutely recommend these to anyone who is after a good pair of straighteners, especially if you have thicker hair - they are perfect.

28.07.2014 17:38

Advantages

• "cats seem to love it!"

Disadvantages

Cats seem to love this!

I struggeled trying to find my oldest cat some food that she would eat as she became overly fussy about eating some foods. I had tried expensive food, cheaper food, all kinds of different food and then i came across this, as soon as the food was down in the bowl she began to eat it strait away, My other 2 younger cats also tried it and eat this mixed with their own food. I obviously havent tried it myself but my cats seem to love this!

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.07.2014 17:28

Advantages

• "High level of customisation"
      • "Build time quicker than expected"
      • "Good customer service"

Disadvantages

• "Very loud fan on laptop"

Exceptional build and delivery time, unfortunate problem with laptop fan.

My PC Specialist ordering experience was a joy from start to finish. I made use of the customer service to find an appropriate spec for what I would need to be doing on the laptop, and they were excellent in drawing me up a quote and answering any questions I had regarding this. The build time was much quicker than indicated, meaning I received the laptop just over a week after ordering!

The laptop is so far running brilliantly, and I am very satisfied. The only complaint I have is that the fan has a habit of coming on at 100%(extremely loud) randomly, even when the laptop is idle. A quick google told me that this has been a problem with the model (Optimus V 15") for a few years now, which PC Specialist has said they are working on fixing but apparently to no avail! Sort it out PCS and don't keep selling us this model unawares! That said, the problem does seem to be settling down now, and otherwise I am extremely happy.

• Suspicious River (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 17:26

Advantages

• "Interesting way of exploring Leila's mind and soul"
      • "Good performances"

Disadvantages

• "Depressing story"
      • "Too much sexual brutality"

A Very Dark Story...

I bought this DVD because I am a fan of one of the actors in the cast. The Canadian film was released in the UK with my Region 0 DVD carrying a 2003 release date. The DVD is certificate 18 and there is are scenes of sexual violence and strong language.

The film stars Molly Parker as a downbeat motel receptionist called Leila who falls into a world of prostitution after being propositioned by a client. She begins to entertain a variety of men until finally meeting one guest (Callum Keith Rennie) with whom she embarks on a more intimate affair. However, soon after entering into the relationship she realises that she is in very dangerous territory with this man.

I find this film very difficult to watch since it's content is quite disturbing. The level of sexual violence and general sexual content is high and it's simply unpleasant to see. There is nothing kinky or racy about the type of sexual violence in this movie. Alongside this graphic depiction of an abused prostitute is a very artful depiction of this woman's inner being though. It's a huge contrast and it's presented in a very clever and moving way. It really reminds the audience that we need to see this woman as her complete self and not just as a dirtied, sexual being. It also challenges audiences to think and to dream since the presentation of Leila's mindset and her spirit is somewhat abstract.

Molly Parker's performance is excellent as is Callum Keith Rennie's. Both leads were nominated for Leo Awards for their acting with Rennie coming away with the win. To be perfectly frank though, a lot of the film involves long sex scenes,violent scenes and rape scenes rather than scenes with any actual dialogue. Parker's interactions with a displaced child who hangs around the motel are perhaps the best and most emotionally satisfying scenes. Rennie's brutal bad guy leaves a bad taste in the mouth and feels very authentic.

This movie has that 'independent' feel to it and is typically Canadian in presentation. I am certain that not everybody would enjoy this given the extreme content but if you like Molly Parker or Callum Keith Rennie then it's worth a watch. I'd have to describe this as a dark, violent, depressing movie and warn once again that it contains a lot of sexual brutality and repression of females.

The DVD contains a 4 page booklet with an interview with the director.It also has scene selection, a promo of the movie, is 16:9 widescreen and is 89 minutes in length. This DVD is available at Amazon for around £4.

28.07.2014 17:23

Advantages

• "Good price"

Disadvantages

Decent cheap alternative, useful for taming fly-aways :)

It's rare I ever buy hairspray due to the fact I hardly ever use it. I did see this one for sale a while ago and it was very reasonably priced so I decided to try it.

I don't usually use hairspray when I have my hair down, because my hair is so long and thick, that it's rare hairspray will effect it in anyway. Though when I put my hair up I will often use hairspray in an attempt to tame the flyways and keep hair smoothed down. It also makes my hair look shiny, is good for back combing and seems to come out of my hair easily.

This hair sprays a good size and smells pleasant enough, maybe a little on the strong side. My boyfriend also uses this hairspray on his hair (he styles his hair in a combover style) and he actually loves it because it does keep his hair in place for a long time.

As far as hold is concerned I cannot really comment because I have never really used this hairspray were hold has been essential, however it seems to keep my hair together and keep flyaways to a minimum so it's good enough for me. I would definitely recommend this product to those who use hairspray to keep hair smooth and sleek, or for use when back combing. If you are looking for hold I may recommend going for a more expensive brand that is made for holding hair well.

This product is great for the price and in short hair would probably be good all round, if you've long hair it's good for up-dos and as a finishing spray but I couldn't comment otherwise.

• Clairol Nice n' Easy / Hair Care / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 17:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

Loved it previously, but it now burns my scalp!

I first dyed my hair around 3 years ago, when I would have it done at the hairdressers however this soon became too expensive to keep up with and although I said I never would, I decided to begin dying my hair at home.

I chose this specific one because the Clariol Nice and Easy is one my mum used on her hair and she recommended it to me as she liked it and had used it for a long time with no problems. I therefore chose the correct colour and my mum coloured it at home for me. It was easy to do and the kit comes with all you need. My hair is very long and thick and I would use 2 boxes to do my whole head.

Washing the due off is such a long tedious process for me because of the length and thickness however this obviously wouldn't be the case for everyone. My hair always feels very soft after I have used the dye and the conditioner included in the kit is brilliant, especially as it can be purchased for 99p in boots between dying hair again.

Another good thing about these hair dyes is that they are always on offer somewhere and you can usually buy two for £10 which isn't bad.

I would say however that recently, I don't know if the ingredients have changed but my head has felt like its burning. I mentioned this to my mum and she said the same thing however for me I felt it a lot worse and actually took the dye of earlier than I usually do because my scalp was burning that bad. This has happened the last two times using this dye in the colour before black which is also the same one as my mum uses and I don't know if I will continue with this product because I don't think the burning was a one off.

A real shame because I've used this product religiously and never tried another dye once, but the feeling I am now experiencing is simply too much. This could be down to me of course but I haven't changed anything at all, not even shampoo and conditioner so I don't think it is.

28.07.2014 16:43

Advantages

• "Good price "

Disadvantages

• "Quick to go blunt"

Great price but quick to wear.

When purchasing razors I often choose the disposable ones just because of how expensive the new heads can be for some of the more expensive ones.

I usually buy Venus razors however I thought I would give these a go seen as they were cheap and I used to use these years ago and never had any problems. There are four in a pack which for the cost of about £2.00 is very reasonable. I love having a new razor because of the feel and effect they have whilst shaving.

I do however feel that these razors could last longer and they do seem to go blunt so quickly that this has definitely put me off using these razors in the future and will avoid using them again.

I would use these razors for my legs and under arm however I stopped using them for my underarm because I was worried they were going to cut me and it's not like they were doing a great job anyway. Even on my legs I still found that after just a few uses, the razors would feel blunt and it would take me so long to shave my legs.

These razors are a good price but I believe in this case you certainly get what you pay for and not to expect too much. I would recommend them if you are for instance planning to go on holiday or to a festival, because they are light and for a short period of time are good razors. And so if your looking for a razor to have in general at home I'd say spend a little more money and get a different option. :)

28.07.2014 16:35

Advantages

• "Cheap and tasty!"

Disadvantages

Tastes amazing, I love it.

4years ago when i moved into my own flat and found myself struggeling with money i decided to cut back on everything expensive, i found myself cheaper alternatives to anything that i could.
      I bought absolutly everything asda smart price including this salad cream that i buy regularly now. The price is great and the taste is even better! Great for sarnies, chips, pizza personally i use it for everything!

• Asda Smart Price Kettle / Kettle / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 16:29

Advantages

• "Does what it says"

Disadvantages

• "Looks borning"

4years later still works amazing!

I bought a smart price kettle 4 years ago when i moved into my flat and i can say that after 3 moves of home & many many times of making hot chocolate its still plodding along. I thought that for the price that after a few months it would have ended up in the bin broken somehow, But its perfect! It may not be the best looking kettle, Just plain white but it will fit into any kitchen in the world no matter what colour your kitchen is so its ideal for anyone and everyone as a starter kettle. Theres not a whole lot to say about the kettle, it boils water fast, ive never had a problem with it at all and touch wood wont do for a long time.

• Stoves 600SiDOm / Cooker / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      28.07.2014 16:25

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • "Good price"
      • Freestanding

Disadvantages

• "Knobs to the front"

Our freestanding oven still looks like new

The unit is freestanding and measures approximately 55cm x 56xm x 59cm so it is a little smaller that the standard size base unit so ideal if your kitchen is on the small side. The main part of the oven is a matt silver colour and the hob is glossy black which I think looks really nice and would fit into the décor of most homes.

The front of the cooker is split into two, the top half and the first door opens to reveal the grill and the second the oven. Both doors open downward so you do have to be a little careful when opening the oven as the handle nearly touches the floor.

The grill came with a black grill tray which rests nicely on the wire shelf which has be adjusted to two different heights within the grill which is the reason that the grill only has one heat setting. The oven also has two stainless steel wire shelves which can be adjusted or removed as needed. The two glass doors have a slight black tint to then which is designed to reflect the heat back into the oven, however you can still see through enough to keep an eye on how your food is coming along. Along the top panel of the oven are six dials, one for each of the hobs, one for the oven and the other for the grill. To the left hand side there is a switch which ignites the gas.

Because the oven is separate to the grill, it does mean that the capacity of the oven is a little smaller than I am used to, it serves us for just cooking small things such as pizza, oven chips etc but I would have to have to cook a Sunday roast in there as I am not sure that there would be enough room.

The bob has four different sized rings, the bigger the ring means the higher the heat output. The pan stands can be completely removed so easy to wash (they are also dishwasher safe however when it comes to the caravan, that’s the hubbys job).

The oven and the grill both heat up really quickly, a lot quicker than my electric oven at home and it also seems to cook food a lot faster. It is worth noting that this isn’t a fan assisted oven therefore you do need to double check your cooking times. Although this cooker is fan assisted, I have never experienced any problems with heat distribution as the heat seems to circulate around really well.

The only negative is that the knobs are located to the front of the oven and are within easy reach for little ones, this isn’t a specific problem to this oven, many freestanding cookers have their buttons situated here.

28.07.2014 16:17

Advantages

• "Great for summer for kids."

Disadvantages

• "Strange texture"

Not for me, neibour loved them.

I Fill my freezer up to the max in summer full of icelollys, icecream, icecubes, anything i can to attempt to cool down on the hot days.
      I found myself buying these because of the price, The second they hit the freezer me and my partner was taking one out to try, I loved the first one i found it refreshing and in all honesty the taste wasn't The best but for the price it's good, after a week or so (return of the sunshine) i decided i would have another 1 or 2, i found that the texture was strange, not like a 'normal icepop' slightly bitty and i thought it may be because of the colour, so i tried a different colour, same result, i ended up giving them to a neibour with children. They loved them. Personally i wont buy them again, I couldn't get over the texture and would rather spend that little bit more and get something that i actually like.

• End of Watch (DVD) / DVD / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 16:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

High expectations.. 2 hours later I wished I hadn't bothered!

I came upon this film as it was lying around at my mums house and so my boyfriend and I decided to watch it. I like Jake Gyllemhall it most of his films however hate his shaved head in this one lol.

After about 15 minutes into the film we figured that it was going to be a wobbly camera situation throughout the whole thing which by the end drove me crazy. By the time the film had finished I really wished I hadn't wasted 2 hours of my life watching this film.

Without giving anything away the film basically it revolves around two cops and their daily lives. It's fast moving but a lot of it just seems to make no sense and occasionally things just got silly. I found the end of this film so far fetched that I think this is the reason I wish I hadn't watched it.

For me it was a waste of time, not that this kind of film is something I usually go for however with all the 5 star ratings on the front of the cover I thought surely it's worth a try. There's some great actors and actresses in this, and some awful ones. If you don't mind the handheld camera view through the whole film, and a bit of a far fetched story line then this might be worth a watch for you. I wouldn't recommend this film and in general I cannot see how it's rated so highly, but of course this is my personal opinion and many others I'm sure will enjoy it.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown