• Yankee Candle Cherry Vanilla / Household Product / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 16:22

Advantages

• "Long burning time"
      • "Gorgeous scent"
      • "Not overpowering"

Disadvantages

Overall, a beautifully sweet candle, perfect for anywhere, any time.

As an avid Yankee Candle fan, I'm always looking for the next big scent - and this is it.

While the vanilla isn't particularly obvious in the scent, its presence definitely sweetens the cherry smell the right amount, leaving the scent sweet and warm - but not too overpowering or sickly. Some candles are made for specific times of the year - like Yankee's Candy Cane Lane for winter, or Beach Holiday for summer - but this one is light enough to not overpower in summer, while being warm and homely enough to brighten up any dismal winter night.

The jar itself is simple and transparent, with a small sticker on the front with the brand, scent name and a small picture of some cherries. You can see the wax through the jar, and it's a beautiful deep red which - when melting - honestly resembles the gorgeous red of freshly picked cherries. The simplicity and beautiful colouring of the delicious smelling candle means it can be placed anywhere without looking out of place, which can be an issue with some of the more intricately designed candle holders.

I bought the biggest of the three sizes, which has an expected burn time of 150 hours, which is well worth the price, but the smaller sizes have equally impressive burn times if you want to test the candle before investing in a larger one. To keep the scent and elongate burn time, ensure to place the lid on straight after you've blown it out (but make sure it is definitely extinguished before doing so!)

29.08.2015 15:28

Advantages

• "Good price"
      • "Lovely flavour"

Disadvantages

Great tasting Earl Grey from Sainsbury's

I have always been a big fan of Earl Grey tea and really like Sainsbury's Taste the difference Tea Bags which retail at one pound fifty for a 125 gram 50 bag box. I like many brands of Earl Grey and very much like the Twinings range. However being on a budget always has me on the look out for more reasonably priced products and I find this taste the difference range of tea bags to be a good quality and lovely tasting brand.

I do not think that these tea bags are quite as aromatic as some brands but this suits me fine as I don't like the overly 'perfumed' taste that comes with some Earl Grey brands.

It states on the box that these Taste The Difference Earl Grey tea bags have black tea and Bergamot as the ingredients. I have noticed that some Earl Greys are also flavoured with lemon. I like to take my tea with lemon but it tastes really nice on its own too. I know some people like to add milk to their Earl Grey but I am not a fan of milk in either tea or coffee so this tea bag is perfect for me in that it has a nice light taste and can be enhanced with adding a slice of lemon.

As it is less expensive that Twinings and Clipper I tend to stick to Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Earl Grey as it suits me very well. I do not like overly strong tea of any kind and find that even though I do not leave the tea bag in water for long the taste is still good. A good tea at a reasonable price.

29.08.2015 10:44

Advantages

• "Glows in the dark"
      • "Light and comfortable "
      • "Good design "

Perfect watch for boys

I am a big believer in teaching your kids the basics yourself before they get to school so that they don’t fall behind. Teaching my daughter to tell the time was so easy though it took a little bit longer for my son to grasp it completely.

Buying the kids a watch and making them wear it everyday is a great way to get them to learn to tell the time as it allows them to practise all the time whilst wearing one.

This is a great watch for a little boy as it is the ideal boys watch thanks to the design of the skull and crossbones and best of all it glows in the dark which not only looks cool but means that it is even easier to tell the time.

The watch is quite cheap at just under £10 but considering it is cheap it is fairly robust which is exactly what you want with a child’s watch because kids (especially mine) aren’t known for being careful with things and this can take a lot of knocks and still stay in one piece. Children’s watches can be a bit flimsy usually but not this one.

It has a rubber strap which makes it comfortable to wear and it is very light so that it won’t be annoying for a child to wear. My son says he doesn’t even notice this when it is on his wrist.
      It can be tightened or loosened accordingly depending on how large your child’s wrist is so can go through with them even when they have a bit of a growth spurt.

Overall this is a fairly good watch for a child to wear as it has a cool design and the glow in the dark is a nice feature and most importantly it is also really hardwearing.

29.08.2015 09:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Comfy and Cheap Knickers!

I recently wanted to shop for some new lingerie and decided I just wanted something basic and comfortable. Although I usually get the majority of my underwear from M&S I had a voucher for Asda's George online and wanted to spend it. I have shopped at Asda in the past for underwear and had different experiences. I tend to find their sizes are not consistent and I normally take a size up in their knickers to what I do in every other store. After looking through the Asda knicker collection on their website I found this four pack of white brief shorts. They were only £4 for the pack which I thought was a great price so I purchased them.

As mentioned I have found that when I buy underwear from Asda I always have to get a size larger than my actual size. This was the case with these briefs. They have the standard sizing chart such as 10, 12, 14 etc. I bought a size up (a 12 instead of a 10) and they fit me perfectly. I'd advise others to be aware that the standard sizing might be different from other underwear suppliers.

These knickers are designed to sit quite low on the hips and to cover a lot of skin on the side of your hips. They sit on the top of your thigh and don't have any cutting curves but seem to sit on the shape of your body. They have a sooth elasticated top and strong stitching around the hem and gusset. They feel comfortable and breathable. They are a pack of pure white cotton knickers. You can actually buy packs of the same shape knickers in both black/white mix and a colour mix.

These are machine washable and seem to be holding up well to wear and washing. In the past I've had George underwear that hasn't lasted long and which has started to come apart very quickly. However, I think the quality of these knickers is quite good and I expect them to last for a while! I would definitely consider purchasing from Asda again following this purchase.

• print24 online printing / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 00:48

Advantages

• Choice
      • Quality
      • Price

Disadvantages

Quality, quick and communication is excellent!

I ordered business cards and the quality of the cards I received were excellent! They were also delivered before the due date which was very helpful!
      The process of uploading the design and completing the order was good, although Print24 are for people who are experienced at ordering printing products. Some of the options in the ordering process are quite technical. You need to know about colour spaces (e.g. CMYK), finishing types, printing processes etc. Having said this, help is provided throughout the ordering process which explains what is required.

Print 24 also offer a trial of 250 free business cards which I have tried and they came out really well. They do not reduce the quality but do print their logo on the back of each card. Worth a try to test their finish quality.

I like Print 24 also because of the wide variety of printing products available. I have found many online printers but Print24 has one of the widest selection of printing products. This says to me that they know what they are doing and you know you can get everything you need from the one place. You also need to add bleeding edges to your designs to make sure all artwork fits to the product.

Print24 communicate well throughout the processso you are never unsure about the progress of your order. They let you know if there is any issue and suggest how to resolve it. You can easily contact them to raise questions and expect a quick response, as I received.

All round good service and would recommend to everyone looking for professional results

29.08.2015 00:17

Advantages

• "good campaigne"
      • "addictive multiplayer"
      • "great graphics"

Disadvantages

• none

A must have

this game is a great game for everyone weather you like story mode or multilayer this is a game for you i wouldnt recommend buying it for rrp of £55 because if you own xbox live i would recommend purchasing ea access which is £20 a year which also comes with 13 other games. anyway lets get back to the game the multilayer is like nothing before it has various dlc and game modes with various camos for gun and vehicle as well as that you can put various attachment on the many weapons this game is amazing the story has various endings and outcomes depending on what you do.

29.08.2015 00:09

Advantages

• Graphics

Disadvantages

• story

I would recommend this game to anyone who has no games on their current console

although the graphics are amazingly detailed and the scenery is undeniably flawless the game is massively let down by the lack of quality in story and detail in story, the game seems incomplete and seems more like a add on to the series that is assassins creed 3, I would recommend this game to anyone who has no games on their current console however it is not worth no more than £10 due to the lack of content in the campaign. I only own this game because of Xbox lives games with gold scheme however without that I would not have played it

28.08.2015 23:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Mysterious and Entertaining

Recently, I have become far more interested in TV shows, something that never really appealed to me as I always preferred movies. However, Pretty Little Liars is one of the shows I have recently succumbed to.

The premise of the TV show explores four girls who are best friends, who are reunited a year after one of their best friends went missing. They all start to receive anonymous texts from someone who calls themselves 'A'. 'A' begins to torment them, always seeming one step ahead of them, and blackmailing them into many tricky situations. The girls group together to try and find out who this mysterious person is and how to stop them.

Although at times the premise is a little fantastical, in this world of modern technology, seeing the power it weals over these girls is quite frightening to watch. Not only does the show keep you on your toes with the mystery and action, as a young adult TV programme, the romantic side to it, is also very nice entertainment.

Sometimes, at the weekend, you just want to relax and watch a bit of a romantic comedy. What's great about this show, is that it does have this element to it, however it's continuously spiced up with the threat to their relationships, posed by the mysterious 'A'.

Overall, Pretty Little Liars is a show really enjoy. It's fun to watch, but also dramatic. It leaves you wanting to watch more at the end of every episode, and is something I would definitely recommend.

28.08.2015 21:20

Advantages

• luxury

Disadvantages

• price

Luxury body lotion

When I was on holiday a short while ago I packed a travel kit to see me through the week full of wonderful Nuxe Paris body care items. This is a brand that is fairly new to me but I have not found anything I didn't like in the range yet so the travel set was a good buy to take abroad and try out during the week in my limited 'pamper time'.

First impressions
      This is a nice solid body lotion cream that sinks in to the skin leaving it so soft and supple and not at all greasy.
      The claim
      This rich, delicious body cream replenishes lipids, soothes irritation and tightness and repairs the skin barrier. A truly pampering treat to wave goodbye to crocodile skin. The skin is intensely nourished (90%*). It is soothed and supple (95%*) and its comfort is restored (100%*).

But what is in it?
      This body cream replenishes lipids (sunflower and sesame oil and rice bran)
      It soothes (barley extract, argan oil and shea butter combined with allantoin) the skin
      It repairs (acacia honey) and protects the skin's barrier function (Vitamin E, sunflower extract)
      In use
      I found this cream quite economical, it went a long way from a small blob and left my skin feeling really soft for a long time. On holiday it can feel dried out from the pool and sea but each night it was restored thanks to this cream.

How much and where from?
      This brand is sold in M&S, surprisingly and you can get a 200ml bottle for £15.20 at the moment but its usual price is £19.99 which is quite dear.
      My thoughts
      This cream was great, I loved using it and the results were great too. It is one I will look out for in the future. Long lasting results and a quality feel to it.

• Aussie Real Volume Shampoo / Hair Care / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.08.2015 21:11

Advantages

• "It was on offer"

Disadvantages

• "My hair hates this stuff"

It was just one very big flop

I know that a lot of people really do rate the Aussie range of hair care products though personally I find that this Real Volume one does nothing good for my hair at all. I have flat, rather lifeless hair and I was rather hoping that this Real Volume Shampoo would live up to its claims and give my hair a bit of volume and bounce. Instead, it made my hair feel dry and brittle and in fact I think it looked less full of volume after using this horrible shampoo than it did before.

I got it on offer (buy one get one half price) at Tescos but really do wish that I hadn't bothered. It seemed to take a lot to get a decent lather in my hair and afterwards my hair feels like it had been washed in Fairy Liquid. My hubby actually really loves this. I do like the smell but that it its only redeeming feature. Everything else about this shampoo I found to be rather a massive flop. A bit like my hair, to be honest.

I haven't just tried it once or twice, I actually really did persevere with this shampoo in the hope that I might eventually get to like it and I also used the matching conditioner but unfortunately my hair is just not suited to this shampoo for whatever reason.

I still have a full bottle left and hubby is slowly working his way through the bottle. I cannot possibly recommend it.

28.08.2015 19:31

Advantages

• "Costs only £1"
      • "Leaves my hair clean and shiny"

Disadvantages

• "Inconvenient packaging"
      • "Holds no special benefit for blonde hair"

Cheap and cheerful even for non blondes

I used to buy Creightons Sunshine Blonde shampoo when my hair was blonde but it's such a good shampoo for the price that I continued to purchase it after colouring my hair brunette. In this review I will give my opinion on it when used on blonde and dark hair.

The shampoo is presented in a tall golden tube so stands on the lid. Impractical for my bathroom where my shelves are all wire, I have to lay it on its side when not being used because the small surface area of the lid is not enough to keep it upright on my shelves.

The shampoo has a consistency that is half and half gel and cream, it lathers well on very wet hair but if you try applying to hair that is not sopping wet you will obtain only a thin and watery layer of lather. It doesn't feel cleansing while washing but after the rinse my hair feels squeaky clean, in the literal sense as it actually squeaks when I run my fingers over my wet hair when all lather has been removed.

Rinsing is quick and easy. No shampoo residue is left in my hair and removal takes less than a minute, it can gather around the back of the ears but that will also be removed by a flick of the finger whilst standing under the shower spray.

My hair is always left clean and shiny after using this shampoo, I always buy mine in Poundland and have never paid more than one pound for it in spite of it being worth slightly more than that to me and I would pay slightly more. I blow dry my hair or else put it into a ponytail and it has never been anything less than completely manageable before, during and after drying. I do not always use conditioner because my hair does not need this with every wash.

The shampoo does not alter or improve the colour of my hair when blonde and now I am brunette it does nothing to change the colour either. If it brightened my blonde hair I may have been less persuaded to continue use after colouring my hair to a much darker shade but in spite of Creighton's claims of this being a shampoo with benefits to blondes it is a simple shampoo that in my view is suitable for all.

28.08.2015 19:26

Advantages

• "Reviving and refreshing"

Disadvantages

• "None "

Such a relief

I first used the Body Shop’s Peppermint Foot Lotion when I received a miniature bottle in a gift set one year from a friend at Christmas. I have been hooked on this stuff ever since. I love to keep this in my fridge and use it on hot days in the summer (when we get them).

My feet have a tendency to suffer I the hotter weather and they swell up and ache. This gorgeous lotion from the Body Shop helps to really cool down and sooth my feet and make them feel refreshed and revived in no time at all.

Using this product could not be simpler. It is simply squeezed from it’s little plastic bottle and I apply fairly generous and massage into my feet – top and bottom. I pay particular attention to my heel and ankles as these are the areas where my feet become particularly dry and are prone to becoming flaky.

I find that this lotion not only makes my feet feel refreshed but it really does help enormously in making them more hydrated and a lot softer. IT is better to use this product on a regular basis for the best results, as I have found from personal experience. I must have gone though dozens of bottles of this foot lotion and I always ask for it whenever it is my birthday or if someone is looking for what to buy me for a gift for Christmas.

The smell is such a lovely peppermint fragrance and this lasts for ages on the skin for ages after it has been applied. My hubby has also used this foot lotion and he says it makes his feet feel “sticky” though he has yet to refuse me if I offer to massage some in for him!

Overall, its such a brilliant product and I certainly do recommend it.

• Mama (DVD) / DVD / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.08.2015 19:18

Advantages

• "Country – Canada/Spain"
      • "Star – Jessica Chastain "
      • "Rottentomatos.com –65% "
      • "Above average horror"

Disadvantages

• "Bit scary for kids"

Daddy! There's a woman outside... She's not touching the floor!

So, Spanish horror shot in North America anyone, and with no subtitles? Why not! As part of Film4’s enjoyable, if out of kilter horror season, I thought I would give it a go. I generally steer clear of American horror movies as they are generic and silly and anything but scary or interesting. The cast are killed in order of cool and the girls need only look good in tiny shorts and tight tops to get the gig. Mama is different and by employing a European director to make his horror movie vision in those familiar North American vistas you have something a little different and interesting.
      City trader Jeffrey Desange (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) has killed his wife and some employees on a gun rampage when he loses everything, grabbing his kids and driving out in the winter snow to the woods to kill his very young children too. The car skids off the road and they end up at a deserted cabin deep in the woods. There he pulls out his gun. But he is mysteriously grabbed by the shadows and never seen again.

PlOT

Alone in the cabin the kids somehow survive and are found five years later, twin brother Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) leading the search all that time as his brothers car was never found by the cops, and so location.

Social services agree custody of the kids to Lucas and his gum chewing rock chick girlfriend Annabel
      (Jessica Chastain). The little ones are feral and eat bugs and act like monkeys. Their welfare is supported by Dr. Gerald Dreyfuss (Daniel Kash) and his institute, which agrees to house and feed the family in a private property hidden from the press, if they agree to some research on the kids. The media want to know how they survived out there in the hills and so does the doc.

The kids slowly come out of their shells to recount their experience. 7-year-old Lilly (Isabelle Nélisse) is too traumatized and doesn’t speak but Victoria (Megan Charpentier) more amenable.
      But things quickly get a little bit weird as a presence appears to be in the house and the kids talk to it. The doc is getting increasing freaked out by his research and aware of the supernatural element. It lives in the wardrobe. Whatever it is, it appears to be the thing that mothered and reared the children in the woods and it’s not letting go. It’s now a straight battle between reluctant mum Annabel and the entity for the love of the children, a woman who doesn’t want kids from one who has lost some.

Result

Ok, there is a cabin in the woods and a monster in the wardrobe but that’s about it as far as horror cliché goes here. This is above average fayre folks and atmospheric and well crafted. Spanish director Andres Muschietti has managed to pull $15 million together to complete his vision and make a tidy $146 million back. That is a very good sign for studios and expect to something bigger from this guy soon. He makes original and emotional interesting films in a well trodden genre.

The concept of the film is good, the mother who wants to mother and the one that learns to be a mother, the pull of that maternal instinct the tension of the movie. It’s quite affecting early on when the impossibly cute kids are all alone in the dark, damp and dilapidated cabin in the woods with this malevolent spirit. You genuinely do feel unsettled by that vulnerability and loneliness. What mum doesn’t want to know where their kids are if they are not holding their hands? The smallest child actor actually speaks no English and why she appears mute in the film, only adding to that feeling of being unsettled. Good stuff. I want a film to involve me early on.

The ghost thing is not all CGI for once and actor Javier Botet is employed to play it. He has the rare Marfan Syndrome, meaning he is very flexible and has unusually long and thin arms and legs. He plays it well. Think the rather terrible ending to Poltergeist and you have the monster. The evil spirit that hides in the shadows seems to work on screen so maybe not a film for younger kids. Even as an adult this one leaves you on edge. When you get to my age you have conflicting emotions around young kids in horror films. Even the ending is a surprise. This is definitely above average as far as the genre goes. But that’s not hard in this particular genre.

28.08.2015 19:13

Advantages

• "Offers a thorough clean in the first instance"

Disadvantages

• "Leaves hair tangled and unhealthy"
      • "Doesn't rinse easily or well"

Super Greasy Shampoo

I use household name shampoos and have been blessed with very normal hair so can but most brands when they are on offer and know they'll suit my hair. I received my bottle of Super Shiny Mango Shampoo in a gift set and was interested to try it as I use a shine spray and thought this may help me lose a step in my hair care routine.

You use it as normal and apply to wet hair, lathering the shampoo and rinsing.
      It does not produce as thick a lather as expected for the high cost of the shampoo but cleaned my hair thoroughly in spite of washing only once and not repeated as suggested by Burts Bees.

The smell is nice but has a very synthetic mango fragrance that seems too strong at times. It is a very sweet fragrance and you will need to like the smell of mango to enjoy it.

My hair is left very tangled after using this shampoo even after using conditioner. It is also drying if used regularly although can make my roots appear greasy. There is very little added shine to my hair and the cleansing effects are short lived with me being required to wash my hair again the following day, that is very unusual for me as my hair ordinarily needs washing only every 2 - 3 days.

Rinsing is harder than with other shampoo and often I felt it had not all been removed in spite of rinsing for longer than I usually would. Luckily the synthetic mango fragrance is removed quickly upon rinsing as I would not like my hair to smell like this through the day.
      This shampoo is 99.7% natural but that doesn't stop the list of ingredients reading like a who's who of the chemical world. The most active ingredients are mango seed oil and extract of fig.

£9.99 per 200ml bottle is too much to pay for this shampoo. It is effective in the short term but the lasting result is greasy unhealthy hair with no added shine or benefits.

28.08.2015 19:12

Advantages

• "Sturdy and practical and easy to keep clean "

Disadvantages

• "None "

Great buy from Ikea

I love Ikea – I can often spend hours there and even if I only come out with an armful of candles, I’m a happy bunny. Our daughter is eight years old now but a year or so ago we bought her a Mammut chair (in pink) along with the Mammut table in the same colour. We could only get the table from the store as they had “sold out” of chairs but we managed to get one second hand from Ebay for only £8. We mainly bought her this set as she really did need a separate table to do her arts and crafts projects on as my poor old dining room table was taking a bashing from dribbles of paint and PVA glue and crayons etc and we thought that having her own little chair and table was the perfect idea.

The chair is quite high backed and though she has really just about grown out of it now, she will often still use it. It is mainly used by myself now for reaching to the top of my kitchen cupboards and as it is really stable, I always feel safe when standing on it.

It is well made and even her dad was able to knock it together by following the simple instructions which came with it. It comes in a selection of colours though she opted for the pink (of course). What I really liked about this chair (And table) from the start, is that it is well made and well deigned and also really easy to keep clean. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth and n marks or stains are ever left behind. The chair has been really well used and fits perfectly underneath the matching little table.

It is also very lightweight at 125lbs but feels well made and sturdy. It is stable and durable and I’d really recommend one to any parent who’s table is taking a hammering from crafts to invest in one of these. It’s still in good condition now and sows no signs of wear or tear so I have to recommend it.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown