“ Brand: Kiddiproof / Safety Type: Household Safety & Child Proofing „
I bought socket covers for my house when Hannah and Jess started showing an interest in them funny it never crossed my mind until then. Jess the tom boy dare devil was forever being told of for touching them even just pushing the switch up and down.
I got my socket covers from toys r us, probably the most expensive shop to buy them but i got two packets off six for £8.00.
These are great they are made from think plastic with three prongs on the, basically they slide into the power sockets and cover the sockets completely all you see is a white round circle on the socket. These are tough to get back out so no way will a child be able to pull them out.
After i installed the socket covers around the house the Jess soon forgot all about them and never went near again.
The point is to keep children safe and not having such a dangerous accident waiting to happen so cant put a price on my kids life's, however these can be bought from mothercare, poundland, ebay amazon all a lot cheaper than i paid so i recommend you definitely buy some even if your child is not interested in the sockets its better to be safe than sorry.
We got two packets of these socket covers as part of a bundle of items we received from my mother when our son was starting to cruise around the furniture and was hence more likely to get into trouble with various household dangers.
What are they and why use
The socket covers come in packs of six white covers. The covers themselves have three prongs on the front to be inserted into the plug and the top part which show once it is plugged in is a white circle that is about 3-4 millimetres deep. The reason for using these is that they stop little fingers being put into electric points or more seriously little children putting something into the plug socket and then electrocuting themselves.
I have to say as part of the safety bundle my mum put together this was the bit I thought would be the most use as I could see how my son could easily fit his fingers into the plug points or worse still put parts of his toys into one. These covers slot into the plug slots like a dream and there is no fiddling around to get them in, as they are robust enough to just go in like a normal plug. It is when you come to take these out that the problem occurs really. If like me you have short nails trying to get these under the cover to ease it out can be a bit tricky really and I have often used the edge of a pen top to tweak it up a bit to get the socket cover off to plug the vacuum cleaner in. Now whilst it is great that they stay in place so well and mean that my toddler can't remove them I personally would like them to somehow come off a bit quicker when I need them too. That's said the annoyance factor of needing to prise them off hasn't bugged me to the point that I have replaced these with another make of socket cover.
They have been in use now for nearly 2 years and they still fit well into the sockets and I haven't needed to replace any of them due to do the plastic prongs on the socket covers breaking on removal from the plug. This I personally think shows that the plastic they are made of is strong and robust and well designed for its use.
These are a good product but beware that taking them out of the socket can be tricky for an adult as well as a child. These tend to cost around the £2.50 mark for a pack of six. My mother bought these from her local chemist and I have seen them in Toys R Us too.
The Kiddiproof socket cover has been a fixture (or is it a fitting?) in my house for just over three years.
I didn't buy it; it was left by the previous tenants - probably only left because they could not remove it.
The Kiddiproof socket cover is designed to (quite obviously!) cover any sockets that are within the reach of your baby/toddler.
We all know the dangers of liquids and electricity, and are aware of how metal is a conductor of electricity. Thus, sockets are unsafe around young children who are unaware of the dangers.
It is also sometimes suggested that there is a risk from children putting their fingers in the plug sockets; but this is a silly suggestion as, due to the shape and depth of the hole, it is impossible for a child to injure themselves in this way.
It is impractical, and just as dangerous, to leave electrical items plugged in to cover the sockets, so Kiddiproof (and many other ocmpanies) have designed the Socket Cover.
It is a small, flat plug that is firmly inserted into the sockets, thus making sure that nothing else can be inserted into the socket.
It is sometimes inserted so firmly, that not only are children unable to access the socket, adults cannot remove the cover either - hence my free gift from the last tenant!
I tried on numerous occasions to pull this cover out; it was only when we needed to move my son's fish tank (and really needed the socket) that I managed it.
It took 10 minutes, and three various shaped knives from the kitchen drawer... and these things are supposed to minimise danger!
Incidentally, I recently came across an article that suggests that socket covers may not be as safe as previously thought...
(Please note that I had to put a space into the link as dooyoo won't let me print it as a whole)
Bearing this, and my own experience in mind, I would not recommend Kiddiproof socket covers; or any other socket covers for that matter.
If you do wish to purchase Kiddiproof socket covers, they can be bought in packs of 6, they vary in price, although can be picked up for less than £5.
I bought these as my son likes to stick things in the plug sockets and I was worried he would hurt himself. Although these are good they were a problem to get out of the socket without nails .Good though because my son could not remove them when I was not looking. These are pretty cheap to buy you can buy them in packs of six from your local chemist. I found they offered me peace of mind . They were by tommie tippie although I dont like some of the stuff they make I really liked these. The idea is you put them in to sockets which you are not using and they prevent children playing with the sockets. Although if you think your child may have been electroucuted make sure he is not still in contact with the socket . Also make sure hes breathing if not then do cpr and heart massage and call an ambulance immedateley.Cpr is breathing in to his mouth (mouth to mouth) As socket covers are not always reliable.As I said before they come in packs of six they are white and round and available from the chemist.
Helps to prevent small children inserting fingers into sockets.